Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Fuel Burning Heater - how can i tell its working ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

If it's the same as our boat one was, it's the fan cooling the combustion chamber and the pump running the water through to cool the heat exchanger.

Post #36646029th Oct 2008 3:13 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Stirling wrote:
I should also say that the FBH continues to run when the engine is switched off and the car locked. Not sure how long it runs on for - or why it runs on.

I think this is the "Purge Cycle" which gets the FBH ready for use the next time you start your engine. I have the GSM controlled FBH, ring it once to start it will run for 30/60 mins then it will switch off or ring it again within this time period and it will switch off. You always get an "overun" noise when it shuts down, could be the pump keeps running for a minute or so to prevent it from overheating.
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #36646529th Oct 2008 3:27 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

So yesterday, -1, no exhaust from the front NS wheel arch, no hot air to start with in the cabin - no heat from FBH exhaust or noise that I could hear with bonnet up = ours is not working?

Post #36677730th Oct 2008 9:32 am
tintenter

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Well mine is booked into the dealers for tomorrow Big Cry after copious amounts of effort still will not run for more than 40 secs after which it just goes through it shut down cycle, whether it is triggerd by the temp or the oval timer. first time in the dealers other than for service. Very Happy
 Tintenter
Corris Grey Discovery 4 HSE

Bigger permagrin now installed

Semper in excretum, sole profundum moveat. 

Post #36679130th Oct 2008 10:06 am
741hcr

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is this gadget you are all talking about and do all D3 diesels have them? Does it do whatever it does automatically or do you have to play with something Shocked

Post #36679330th Oct 2008 10:13 am
TSR2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yesterday just left home and heard a bong! Looking around I found the little flashing Icon next to the 4'C read out. Shocked Shocked I couldn't understand what it was at the time but after starting the engine later after being parked I noticed some smoke around the bonnet. I jumped out for a look and couldn't mistake the smell of burning diesel a bit like an oil fired central heating boiler. Having seen these threads but not having a clue clue what you were all going on about I realised what it was Idea Idea and she seems to be working okay. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I did notice in one thread that the latest software update prevented this from being used as people wanted does this mean that mine shouldn't work or is there just certain parts of the heater cycle that have been turned off. Question Question

Post #36679630th Oct 2008 10:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

@741hcr - all UK spec diesels have them, some markets around the world, especially the hot climates do not. Its only there to ensure you get warm cabin temperatures in cold external temperatures as diesel engines do not produce a lot of waste heat unlike petrol.

@TSR2 - Early (2005) D3's had an option on the screen settings to pre-set a timer to warm the car up with the webasto heater before you drove it, like an alarm clock. It was just to warm up the car though and was badly implemented as it did not tell the cabin fans to run which is usually what happens to warm and defrost the car. Land Rover decided that rather than fixed their bodged job to remove the feature completely, which upset a lot of people. Now by default the D3 does not pre-heat the car in any way with this heater, its just there to make the cabin warmer in very cold temperatures, and most noticeable on cold starts on cold mornings as noted here. Any references to starting up before the car, on a timer, or on a remote, are aftermarket mods, see the sticky posts in the technical forum. You don't need to do anything, its done by the car if its very cold and it thinks it needs it.

TSR2 - you also mostly answered my question I think, as we have none of these symptoms which I was expecting, and I don't think ours is working, DOH.

Post #36680030th Oct 2008 10:38 am
TSR2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

TallPaul,
Thanks for the info, I now understand. I'll check to see if the software has been updated and the prestart facility is there, although it is highly unlikely. Thumbs Up

Thanks again, Trev.

Post #36680930th Oct 2008 10:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

No probs, although you mean check to see if the software has NOT been updated and the pre-start is still there, if it has been updated then its not there.

There are loads of threads on this take a look, something to do with it not working if the car was asleep and leaving the radio on? Can't remember exactly, ours is MY07 and so never had the option,

Post #36681930th Oct 2008 11:05 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

All cars should have been updated. There was a general enhancement update which was supposed to be applied to all cars which was released in summer 06, part of this was to update the instrument pack software to remove the pre-heat/pre-cool options.

To verify, with the car at a standstill press the i button on the end of the left hand stalk. Cycle through the options with the <<>> cd track change button on the steering wheel. There should not be an option for cabin pre-heat.

If you have that option still in your menu, then I would get the car back to the dealer to check the enhancement has been carried out. There are far more important issues covered by the enhancement than the pre heat.