Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Fuel Saver
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
duncancav

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Fuel Saver

Has anyone installed the Magnet fuel savers? If so, has it made a difference to consumption or is it another gimmick Shocked ?
For $80 investment I feel it might be worth a shot!
I have a Disco 3 V8.
Thanks

Post #48613624th Jun 2009 4:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

For $80 I can give you some tattslotto numbers that may win. They are guaranteed to have a better chance than not having any numbers! Very Happy
In other words like the magnetic "filters" for 'cleaning' water supply and Hi-clone air turbulence thingys to fit in your air intake and naturopathy, irridology etc it won't hurt but it also won't work!
 regards
Peter

Post #48613924th Jun 2009 6:01 am
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If it would work, wouldn't you expect LR or Shell to be selling these?

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #48696925th Jun 2009 7:21 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

wvlenthe wrote:
If it would work, wouldn't you expect LR or Shell to be selling these?

Wiljo

LR - Yes

Shell - No, what conceivable interest do they have in us using less fuel, they (and all the other oil companies) must be sat on all sorts of energy/fuel efficient technology which they hold the rights to but are keeping away from the public to avoid seeing their profits fall Confused
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #48697225th Jun 2009 7:24 pm
NJF

SJR wrote:
Shell - No, what conceivable interest do they have in us using less fuel

Well, I suppose that if folk are gullible enough to think that this "technology" worked, they'd be gullible enough to believe that Shell could produce a fuel with a modified molecular structure that was excited by the magnet-wotsits, resulting in better burn than Esso ... ya de ya de ya de ya ... Sheep

Post #48699125th Jun 2009 7:54 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

If it would work was the question!

I was not suggesting for one minute that this magnet 'technology' works, but if it did i was answering the question accordingly Rolling Eyes
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #48699325th Jun 2009 7:58 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

@SJR I thought of that just after posting Smile

@NJF that's what Shell has just done with FuelSave. Saving up to 1 litre a tank... on 90 litres, that's a difference you will not notice but I suppose it sells.

Seriously and back on topic: this kind of technology comes around every so many years. Whether it is magnets, aligning the fuel molecules another way, fuel additions, engine oil dopes or replacements (saw one product that lets you drain ALL the oil, kinda teflon or so), it's all the same: not working.

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #48701625th Jun 2009 8:28 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Many years ago, Peter Brock (one of Australia's great saloon car drivers) promoted such a system. He was almost laughed out of the industry.

Put the money to something USEFUL for the D3.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #48723026th Jun 2009 4:48 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Granted I'm an "oily" so many keep their small children shielded from seeing my type. Therefore everyone can take my comments with a large dose of scepticism. If these devices has any benefit at all, refineries, ship engines, offshore production facilities owned by oil companies would have these things. The cost of fuel for these facilities (imagine 30 MW of generators on an offshore production facility running on diesel, where most of the cost is gov't excise) is huge. I've been involved in some production facilities where the cost of fuel was so much we had to shut them in and abandon the field earlier than hoped. I spent 2 yrs on nightshift in a refinery trying to get boiler fuel consumption to reduce by 0.5%. If magnets gave 1.25% (ie, 1/80) improvement, I could have slept on the beach instead.

There is no basis in chemistry or physics which can show how these devices can work. The combustion efficiency of modern engines (petrol or diesel) is very high, it's just the laws of thermodymanics which say that about 55-60% of the heat of combustion turns into heat, not motive force. With my V8 D3, I try (but fail) to keep a very light right foot to gain the same benefit.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #48723126th Jun 2009 5:02 am
BlackPerth2

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have had the pleasure of being involved in the Liquidation of Firepower - everyone remember them? LOL!! The guy raised $A100M from gullible investors who believed that "pill" put in your fuel tank would reduce fuel consumption.....oh dear Rolling with laughter .......and no, there will be no dividend in that Liquidation.
 2006 SE TDV6 with G4 Options ("A" Bar, Driving lights, expedition rack, ladder; fr & r light guards, side steps, G4 logos) door moulds; plus Long Ranger 115L sub-tank; OL rear wheel carrier; OL rear drawer system; Kenwood / Garmin Satellite Nav/bluetooth/iPod/rear camera/DVD); LR roof mounted DVD; GME 3440 UHF; Tyre Dog tyre monitoring system; Optima Yellow second battery and Traxide dual battery management system; Mitchell Bro's tow hitch;  
Post #48724326th Jun 2009 7:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >