Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Help, only 4,2 liters came out trying to flush autogearbox!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
johoso1

Denmark 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Help, only 4,2 liters came out trying to flush autogearbox!!

Hi,

Have been planning a gearbox flush for som time now and have managed to get all the bits and pieces for the job as discribed by Filo in his "how to do the job" post.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic55010.html

I got the original gearbox fluid from the local ZF subsidary directly - and to a price half of what is announced by suppliers in UK!!

With the 20 liters I planned to do a small flush first replacing only the oil to see if the gearbox would behave differently. The afterwards do another flush combined with change of the panfilter.
So far so good. But by the initial flush i only got approx. 4,2 liters out of the box, and that includs draining the sump as well. Filo got more than 7 liters out!!

It seems at there i still oil in the returnpipe from the oilcooler - and this doesn't get sucked into the box with the engine running.

Is it so that the circulation of the gearbox fluid to the cooler is depending on the pressure applied by the input side of the cooler - meaning that when you cut the circulation at the cooler you will only get the oil that is in the gearbox and not all the oil that is returning to the box from the cooler?

Anyway i put in 4,2 new liters of fluid to the system and it was diffecult to sense any difference in performance.

How do i get more out oil out of the box? Or could it be due to low fluidlevel in the box? (I haven't seen signs of spillage though)

By the way the small pneumatic unit invented by Filo is really great - the neighbours were shaking their heads and laughing Laughing

Can anybody help me ?

Regards
Johan

Post #79634814th May 2011 9:51 am
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

If you carry out a 'simple' drain - using the drain point on the sump pan you will normally only get around 4.5 litres of fluid out.

This why LR will do a 'double flush' i.e. drain, refill, drive round the block, drain and refill again.

IMHO any new fluid added to the contents can only have a positive effect Thumbs Up
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #79637714th May 2011 12:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
anglefire

England 

As long as you fill it to the level, run the engine to circulate the oil and then top up again, all as per the recommendations, you should have filled it up correctly.

I would suggest dropping the pan and changing the filter, then do another double flush.

But it's never as good as a mega flush due to the way the oil has to be mixed with the old doing a double.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #79637814th May 2011 12:23 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Suggestions re tranny oil change.

In my Gallery, per the link below under the ZF transmission section, you will see a number of files. A couple of them relate specifically to changing, and more importantly, making certain that the tranny is filled and neither over filled nor under filled. It is sort of an oil temperature thing.

There is also data re the six speed ZF oil that is required - sounds like you are using it, and yes, not much drains out. Also depending on the design of the plastic oil pan, one can think the fill hole is the drain hole and even less comes out.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5059
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #79642414th May 2011 3:34 pm
tlt

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

According to ZF's technical docs a flush should be performed with a reverse flow (machine) although anything is better than nothing I guess.

PM me for Diff parts

Post #79899621st May 2011 3:27 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
reverse thru the oil filter also?

tlt wrote:
According to ZF's technical docs a flush should be performed with a reverse flow (machine) although anything is better than nothing I guess. PM me for Diff parts
I wonder if the procedure causes reverse flow thru the oil filter as well? I did not realize that the ZF material said anything about flushing, reverse or otherwise.

Me, I do understand a new filter and taking the pan off and all new oil - maybe this technical stuff is getting too complicated for me these days or is it something else?
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #79899721st May 2011 3:43 pm
tlt

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Yes, I actually read all the docs someone sent me!!! Page 49 of the document. Now technically I do not know if this is a flush, but it sounds like they refer to a commercial flush machine..

General Hints on Transmission Oil
• Do not mix different oils unless this is expressly prescribed.
• Clean the oil cooler in the opposite direction from normal flow
before fitting the transmission unit, i.e. starting from the
transmission feed (VK) and not from the return (ZK). Cleaning unit
is commercially available.

PM Me for diff parts

Have you changed your fluids today?

Post #80078926th May 2011 10:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >