Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Am I missing something?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

mowog wrote:
The post on 18" wheels.

There is a photo of a RRS with the rims fitted and a set of mud tyres. In the thread you will find the brand of the wheel being supplied and for you guys in the UK it should be good news.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-rrs/105896...-here.html

Yes, seen these, but I think would foul brake calipers on D4

Post #7437799th Jan 2011 12:54 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

nigelc wrote:
mowog wrote:
The post on 18" wheels.

There is a photo of a RRS with the rims fitted and a set of mud tyres. In the thread you will find the brand of the wheel being supplied and for you guys in the UK it should be good news.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-rrs/105896...-here.html

No, they are a special version of the PD1800 rim designed to fit over the large D4/RRS brakes.
 Home of LLAMS, for LRs and Jeep GCs  
Post #7440249th Jan 2011 9:17 pm
mowog

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

What surprises me is, it took a guy from Australia to get UK wheel maker to do a special build on a Rim for a UK built 4WD?

From what I understand these rims will now become a standard item for retail sale.

There are some pretty good tyre options for the 18" rim.
 Discovery 4 SE Long range fuel tank Kaymar Rear Bar.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood
Mini JCW Clubman
Lotus Trooper Off Road Caravan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/ 

Post #7440369th Jan 2011 9:40 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

nigelc wrote:

Then you haven't read correctly - I spent 14 months getting these rims organised - specifically to fit the D4's larger calipers. Please re-read the thread. Or have a look on here:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic57724.html

The 18" rims are available NOW. So if you really want them (rather than just thinking about it), they are now available. PM me for details.

To the OP:

The 19" tyres air down fine for sand work - the longitudinal footprint is just as large as you'd get with your 17's. The main problem is as you say, rim and sidewall damage.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #74421010th Jan 2011 1:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

disco4x4au wrote:
nigelc wrote:

Then you haven't read correctly - I spent 14 months getting these rims organised - specifically to fit the D4's larger calipers. Please re-read the thread. Or have a look on here:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic57724.html

The 18" rims are available NOW. So if you really want them (rather than just thinking about it), they are now available. PM me for details.

To the OP:

The 19" tyres air down fine for sand work - the longitudinal footprint is just as large as you'd get with your 17's. The main problem is as you say, rim and sidewall damage.

Cheers,

Gordon

I'm not an engineer, but I wonder whether it it would be technically possible to make a wheel with a harder, more abrasion resistant alloy, or have a sacrificial plastic beading over the outer rim?

Post #74487111th Jan 2011 11:33 am
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

I will have a look at the wheels this afternoon as we are going to a LR Experience centre in Kent.
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #74487711th Jan 2011 11:40 am
nigelc

Ted Newman wrote:
I will have a look at the wheels this afternoon as we are going to a LR Experience centre in Kent.

Hope its theirs , not yours, to abuse!. Be v.interested in what LR peple say about rock crawling with 55 profile tyres.

Post #74497911th Jan 2011 4:17 pm
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

Just back from a great afternoon - very informative and a great confidence booster as far as the D4 goes.

Kent is not exactly a rocky area so we were unable to replicate a drive through a dry gorge or canyon BUT the course had several areas laid out to replicate very "lumpy" terrain and inspection of the D4 we used showed absolutely no damage to the wheels AND the car was not new - was told it was one of the first batch of D4s - and whilst it had new tyres the wheels were original and completely unmarked.

I posed the question to the guy taking us round and he reckoned that there had been no problems with the standard wheels of the D4 and whilst one does not expect a LR employee to run the company down these guys have every reason to be a little bitter as they are all probably losing their jobs as the LR Eastwell Court is being closed down and the the "experience" centre moved to Luton - a good 2.5 hours drive if they wish to commute and retain their jobs.

BUT I was well impressed with what the car does - can't wait to get back out to Morocco Mr. Green
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #74511511th Jan 2011 8:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >