Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Installed a high Amp Anderson Socket under the bonnet
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
berndv

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Installed a high Amp Anderson Socket under the bonnet

Today I installed a 350A Anderson socket under the bonnet.
I have one in my Defender and therefor already have a couple of devices with such a socket on the end. So I wanted one in the Disco as well. I am going to use it for all sorts of devices, mostly using more power than interieur sockets can handle.
With the 350A rating, it can even be used for jump cables or a winch but I am also going to use it for an air pump and a charger.
There was an unused mounting which made it quite easy to attach the socket to, without doing damage to the car.
Used 35 sq mm cables directly connected to the battery.

Post #64100325th Apr 2010 9:41 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Nice, quick Q's

Is it attached to the main battery or Aux battery?
Do youhave a rubber cap for it? Is there a danger rainwater etc might sit on the two connectors & leak through into the wire as it's positioned like that?

Cheers

Ian
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #64106126th Apr 2010 7:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
berndv

It is attached to the main battery. If mine has an Aux battery I didn't find it yet. Just have the car a couple of weeks Rolling Eyes. The socket drains itself because it is all open on the inside. Since this socket can cope with bigger cables than the ones I used. the insulation will also go in each pole's connector thus making water ingress from above impossible.
I am afraid I haven't thought about this type of water ingress before though. So by coïncidence I have one cable that is proper protected and one cable that isn't Crying or Very sad

Post #64114026th Apr 2010 11:11 am
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

A few people have chosen to install a second battery in the void under the similar cover on the opposite side of the car to the main battery - not sure if its the same sides on a LHD car Confused Never needed to know I guess Wink

Once you chuck out the 'alarm' box you should have enough space to fit one. (Alarm will then work using the car horn which is louder!) Probably advisable if you're going to be running loads of extra bits.
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #64114426th Apr 2010 11:26 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I have mine off the Main battery and fitted into the rear bumper - trying to jump start a car or run a winch off the auxilary battery can blow the fueses in the dual battery charger system.

also added a small connector on the front bumper to run camping stuff etc from Aux battery Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #64114726th Apr 2010 11:36 am
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

DiscoDunc wrote:
off the auxilary battery can blow the fuses in the dual battery charger system.

Obviously run winch and jump start off main battery Whistle I took it if he's using it for a 'charger' then aux might be a good idea. Plus its all Bodsy's fault, he brought it up ..... Thumbs Up
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #64115426th Apr 2010 12:01 pm
pjv

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Duncan
when you say 'small connector' ?? been thinking about such a thing but never really found a reasonable plug other than round trailer type. What have you used?

ta
pjv

Post #64146526th Apr 2010 9:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
berndv

tanters wrote:
I took it if he's using it for a 'charger' then aux might be a good idea.

Good thinking. I am a navigation freak with multiple gps's floating around the car. I must allways make the choise between permanent power so they keep their fix but with the risk of draining the battery when not using the car for a few days, or using an ignition feed but that will drain the bluetooth's gps internal battery sometimes leading to strange results. An aux battery wouldn't be a bad idea. something to put on the never ending wishlist Confused .

Post #64154026th Apr 2010 10:46 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Clip that is attached to the Anderson plug?

I really like the looks of that Anderson Plug you installed.

Of what, or how did you make the mating piece of the clip that is attached to the Anderson plug?

I have a left hand drive as well and there is that unused female clip, (I will call it that), on the air filter "box" so I wondered what or how you made the mating piece as I have been thinking of attaching something to the clip.

Also in my gallery, I have a few pictures of my install of a second battery under the cover of the empty engine compartment space on the steering wheel side of my LHD.

Not that it really matters I suppose, but per the link below, Anderson makes a rubber sort of cover that goes over the open ends of their various plugs and gives them kind of a nice finished look. They even come in different colours.

http://www.traxide.com.au/anderson_7.html
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #64157526th Apr 2010 11:54 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi berndv, Besides jump starting, I’m curious as to what would draw that sort of power?

BTW, if anyone is considering setting up to jump start, the standard 50 amp Anderson plug is all you need.

While the constant current rating for these plugs is 50 amps, they can safely and effectively handle much, MUCH higher currents for sort periods of time and they are perfect for jump starting.

Note the same thing relates to cable size for jump starting. You don’t need electrical substation size cables to jump start.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #64208428th Apr 2010 7:20 am
JimboD3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Tim,

There's a comment in this thread that says to jumpstart off the main battery, not the aux - is this correct, and what would be your suggested way of connecting up an Anderson socket and cables to provide such a jumpstart facility on a D3 ?

Thanks,
Jim
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE
Non-standard Td5 110 Hardtop

Club Traxide 

Post #64216028th Apr 2010 11:21 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Jimbo, Connect Red Cable to Positive, connect Black cable to Negative (or to good negative chassis point) Connect other end to the Anderson plug & it should sit nicely under the cover as long as you don't have too long a cable.

Just need to make sure that you have a set of jump leads that you do the same connector on one end to Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up

I just use the positive from my Aux battery (as it's already earthed) and a single jump lead to the main cranking battery Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #64217128th Apr 2010 11:47 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Jim, if your specifically setting up to do lots of Jump Starts for other vehicles, then wire to the cranking ( Main ) battery.

But if you are setting up the Anderson plug to primarily run accessories, like inverters or compressors and so on, then wire to the auxiliary battery and if you need to do an occasional jump start, it will work fine.

Even if your auxiliary battery is a dedicated deep cycle type battery, the occasional use to jump start is not going to have any detrimental effect on a deep cycle battery.

If your jump starting your own vehicle from your auxiliary battery, you pretty well need to fire up the motor as soon as you connect the batteries.

If you are jump starting someone else's vehicle or from someone else’s vehicle, you should connect your auxiliary battery to the other vehicle’s cranking battery and then let good vehicle idle for at least a few minutes to get some charge back into the flat vehicle’s cranking battery before you try to start the vehicle.

By doing it this way, you are not try to charge a totally flat cranking battery and and start the motor at the same time and if it’s your vehicle, putting some charge into both the auxiliary and cranking battery before trying to start the motor, again improves the chances of starting.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #64218328th Apr 2010 12:03 pm
JimboD3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

@ Bodsy - ta, makes sense.

@ Tim - ta, also makes sense. Only going to be doing the occasional jumpstart, rest of the time I'll be running an inverter/other toys, so I'll wire it into the aux battery.

Jim
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE
Non-standard Td5 110 Hardtop

Club Traxide 

Post #64219228th Apr 2010 12:28 pm
berndv

Re: Clip that is attached to the Anderson plug?

bbyer wrote:

Of what, or how did you make the mating piece of the clip that is attached to the Anderson plug?

oops didn't catch your question up until now. I used a bit of alluminium strip, Dremeled in shape and some nuts as spacers.

@DriveSafe: apart from jumpstarting, I do have a portable winch and an air pump. Also for these the 350A socket is a bit overrated but I used this one because there was already one in my Defender and thus also have them on the other end of my devices.

Still thinking about putting a hidden winch on the Disco. might use this connector to connect/isolate it.
A battery switch might be a better solution but would mean leading another thick cable from the battery and finding a proper spot for the isolator.
Since a winch would not be used very often, using the anderson connector would be workable for me.

Post #6580448th Jun 2010 2:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >