Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Irregular alarm chime
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

A lot of the other bongs are a "once on, stay on" warning, so if they activate the chime, the message gets stored in the info centre. Seatbelt is one of the exceptions (low temp too) so I can see why it would be a favourite.

Worth disabling the seatbelt chime temporarily to see if that does isolate the problem. You can re-enable the chime using the same procedure you use to disable it, it's not irreversible. As mentioned above, get in car, turn key to activate all the systems but don't turn the ignition on. Now put your seatbelt in and out 9 times in quick succession (leave your thumb on the red release to speed things up) and the chime is disabled. Still gives you the red warning light. If you continue to get the bong it suggests it's NOT the seatbelt warning so you can re-enable the chimes. If you don't get the bongs then your dealer is right and it's a problem with the sensor or wiring to the sensor for the seatbelt.

I have a hunch it won't prove to be this simple, especially as the red light isn't coming on to warn of an undone seatbelt, but it's a good idea to try this if only to rule out the simple possibilities.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #34510417th Sep 2008 12:25 pm
vicken23

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

i will get them to check it when i take it in.

Post #34510917th Sep 2008 12:30 pm
shellshock

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Went on a 500 mile round trip this summer - kept getting random bongs. Nothing on the dash at the time and no faults recorded. Took it into stealers and they were "unable to replicate the problem" Rolling Eyes It bonged at various speed on motorway round country lanes all sorts of speeds/conditions. Did it 9 times in 500 miles. It is not the seat/belt issue (dealer double checked all OK). Bongs went away for a few weeks then did it again four or five times. There is no pattern as such but does seem to occur more often if I have the Thule bike rack on. Were you towing when it happened?

Still no dealer solution but thankfully doesn't appear to be major/safety issue.
Not prepared to pay for the dealer to have a week's holiday in my D3 to enable them to "replicate the problem" Laughing
 ALTERNATIVES...............No alternatives for off-road capability.
If you want Surrey plush, go for a Range Rover. If you want Manchester bling it's the Range Rover Sport. But if it's a seven-seat, go anywhere 4x4, it's time to Disco.
(Daily Telegraph 08/08/09) 

Post #35099828th Sep 2008 9:22 pm
John58

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi all
I've got the same problem. I get a random "dong" with nothing showing on the dash and nothing obviously wrong. It can happen 3 or 4 times a day for a week, and then nothing for 3 months! Sometimes I'm towing the camper-trailer and sometimes not. The dealer can't find anything wrong. It's been happening since the vehicle was new. I can be driving down the a highway in central Queensland(for non-Australians, very long, very straight and mostly very flat) with car and brain in cruise-control for the last 150 km and suddenly "DONG!!". Equally, it can happen in low-speed stop-start traffic around the city. Wish I knew what was causing it. Question
 White S TDV6 auto. Air Suspension. Active Rear Diff. ARB bullbar. IPF spotlights. GME TX3440 UHF radio. Autosafe Cargo Barrier. Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch. AT35 coupling. AORC Quantum van.  
Post #37412215th Nov 2008 1:19 pm
Dickydisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Im having the same problem. seat belt chime has started beeping all the time as if some one is sitting in the passenger seat, no one is. Im having to plug the seat belt in to stop it. I dont really want to dissable the chimes with the nine time method, I,d like to sort it. Has anyone had this before?
 Current: D3 commercial

Past: but not forgotten D3 HSE x2, 5 TD5 disco2's, 1 200tdi disco1, 2 300tdi disco1 one of which was a commercial, Off roader with a rather large spec, ARB's and big travel suspension to name a few.
Pajero SWB 2.8 for off road playdays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYBx3SCl8vs check this for laughs 

Post #60475016th Feb 2010 11:44 pm
vicken23

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Guys,
in regards to this problem, i am still experiencing the issue.
I have been having on going discussions with the service dept, they contacted, LRA technical for the solution.
They have said that in this order, items need to be replaced,
1. passenger seat sensor
2. passenger seatbelt buckle
3. driver seatbelt buckle
4. if none of these work, then have to send report to UK in order to get whole new instument/dashboard module.
I am waiting for step 3, once this is done, and still evidence that its not working then we shall progress to step 4.
It doesn't have any effect on the performance of the car, so they keep telling me, i have no problems with that, but i didn't spend all the money on a car to just keep dinging on me, i just want a solution.
shall keep you posted.

Post #60479417th Feb 2010 3:10 am
Tom W

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have had exactly the same problem with mine,random bongs,but no light on dash.Dealers say no fault recorded,so have done the seat belt disable,and problem has gone away.Not a cure, and not a satisfactory answer to cause of problem,but has got rid of annoying bloody bongs Thumbs Up

Post #60480117th Feb 2010 6:02 am
Dickydisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

would be great to keep us posted, mine only does it now and then. it did it today after someone had been sitting it the seat. just plugged the belt in. when I got out i unplugged seat belt. When I got back in the car to drive away, everything was fine, no warning light or sound. if you find a solution then it'd be good to know. good luck
 Current: D3 commercial

Past: but not forgotten D3 HSE x2, 5 TD5 disco2's, 1 200tdi disco1, 2 300tdi disco1 one of which was a commercial, Off roader with a rather large spec, ARB's and big travel suspension to name a few.
Pajero SWB 2.8 for off road playdays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYBx3SCl8vs check this for laughs 

Post #60531017th Feb 2010 10:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >