Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Mixing tyres on different axles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Stirling

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Mixing tyres on different axles

I need to replace the front two tyres that have Scorpion Zeros that are getting down to the minimum.

Not happy at how fast these have worn down given that i got 72K out of the original Michelins on my Disco2...

i was thinking of either a pair of Wintrac 4 or AT2's - would it be ok to put a pair of these up front and leave the Scorpion Zeros on the rear - as they still have reasonable tread on them.

Thanks

Post #5768428th Jan 2010 3:14 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

On same axel shoudl be fine, esp if you put wintrac on the front, extra stopping grip Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #5768528th Jan 2010 3:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stirling

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Was kinda leaning towards the AT2 on the basis of better wear - can anyone tell me how fast the Wintracs wear in the summer ?

Post #5768618th Jan 2010 3:38 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Wintracs (I'm assuming) are winter tyres. Therefore they will not only wear down at an abysmal rate in summer but you will also suffer from reduced grip.

Winter tyres have a tread and, more importantly, a rubber compound that is biased towards winter. Usually above 10 degrees C they do not perform very well and wear at quite a rate.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #5768648th Jan 2010 3:42 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Lux - whilst you'd expect the Wintracs to wear fast in the summer, somehow they don't! The compound is harder than Scorpions, with vastly reduced wear rate, but the grip is far far better in all conditions (that I've tested them in) I fitted mine in May last year, and they've done about 15k (miles) ish with very little wear. At the current rate I reckon they'll be good for 30K miles plus, maybe much more. I've run them on hot motorways, deep mud, grass, sand, loads of snow and ice, and even this morning at -10 dec C they were fantastic. So the belief that all winter bias tyres wear fast in summer is not true. HTH Stirling Thumbs Up

when new:
Click image to enlarge
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Last edited by ridgeback_moor on 8th Jan 2010 8:24 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5770708th Jan 2010 7:46 pm
tintenter

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

sorry haven't got a picture but the wintracs i have been running have now done 27k miles and look like they will be good for at least another 6 - 10k and that is running all year round and they performed very well when driving round the tracks whilst doing the D3 winch training. will certainly be putting a fresh set of the same back on when the need it.
 Tintenter
Corris Grey Discovery 4 HSE

Bigger permagrin now installed

Semper in excretum, sole profundum moveat. 

Post #5770798th Jan 2010 7:58 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

On my old D3 I tried this as an experiment. Had Scorpions on the front axle and MTRs on the back. On smooth roads (not many of those here) it was ok, on dirt roads (many here) semi-ok, but on rough patched paved roads the D3 wanted to swap ends. It drove as poorly as a Nissan Patrol or Landcruiser Shocked I suspect it was caused by the MTRs being a bit bigger in diameter than the Scorpions and this mucked up the speed sensors, and hence stability control. I wouldn't have wanted to do this experiment on ice!
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #5774349th Jan 2010 3:12 am
Ken

Guys Winter Tyres are for Winter it is as simple as that (What ever the make) They have compounds & tread patterns to deal with the Exetremes of Winter and what it can throw at you.

You may choose to run them all year hey why not its your car after all but in no way does it detract from they are a Winter tyre

Me I'd never mix an All season tyre with a seasonal tyre or mix a MTR with all Terrain etc but thats my choice I will always run all the same unless an exceptional circumstance dictates otherwise

Its not been tried in court (that I could find) but I wonder what may happen in a RTC investigation if a car was found to be on a seaonal tyre in he incorrect season is that enough of a route out (I dont no but dont want to find out)

Enjoy your debate

Post #5774389th Jan 2010 4:12 am
JF Lux

Ken wrote:
Its not been tried in court (that I could find) but I wonder what may happen in a RTC investigation if a car was found to be on a seaonal tyre in he incorrect season is that enough of a route out (I dont no but dont want to find out)

Over here (European Continent) you would be found to be driving a vehicle that does not have tyres suitable to the conditions.

Goes both ways - in many countries (Lux included), winter tyres are not compulsory by law. But do not have an RTC when the snow comes down and you are on non-winter type tyres. That is very clear from the Assurance Association and our equivalent of the AA.

Interestingly, off-road biased tyres will generally be seen to be okay (AT's. MTR's even my STT's) - due to depth of tread etc.

@ridgeback_moor - point noted. I'm surprised, though TBH. Thumbs Up
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"

Post #5774599th Jan 2010 8:59 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

It is not illegal to mix the same size tyres of the right speed and load rating, fact.

It's not a good idea to mix different makes, because of the different level of grip.

Always keep the same tyres on each axle unless there is a problem, i.e, puncture.

L/Rover and lots of other makes give you a space saver as a spare with a 50mph speed limit.

Yes I agree that at the end of the day it's each individuals choice as to what tyres they use.

You CAN run winter tyres all year round as you CAN run MT tyres all year round.

MT tyres are for MUD, but you use them all year round, no problem.

Look at your needs, ask advice and make your choice, most important are speed and load rating.

And most important of all make sure you have the min tread depth as it's illegal not to and carries fines and points on your licence.

Common sense at the end of the day.

Andy. www.ajstyres.co.uk

Last edited by AJS4X4 on 9th Jan 2010 9:24 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5774619th Jan 2010 9:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJF

I wouldn't routinely drive on my Kumho KL71 in winter - snow or rain. They grip noticeably less than my AT2s and my winter tyres.

Post #5774639th Jan 2010 9:14 am
JF Lux

Noel - agree. The point being, though, is that if something happened when you have the KL71's on you should be okay from an insurance perspective.

I am a winter tyre convert. Never knew they existed until I moved to Luxembourg....now I never go anywhere (on road Laughing ) without them between November and March.

Post #5774689th Jan 2010 9:35 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

The boys tell me this morning that yesterday afternoon they fitted another set of Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme's on one of our customers L322 R/Rover, and he got 40,000+ miles out of them, so they don't do tooooooooooo bad do they compared to a Scorpion, in fact about the same as an MT/R. Thumbs Up

Andy.

P.S. Don't mix KL71 WITH kl17 Rolling with laughter

Post #5774729th Jan 2010 9:46 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

If you are that worried about tyres contact your Insurance company, but remember sometimes there can be "too much information". Rolling Eyes

Andy.

Post #5774749th Jan 2010 9:50 am
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

As the Vredestein tyre is rated only speed H not V would that effect any warranty?

Post #57852010th Jan 2010 8:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >