Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Moving from a MY05 D3 to a MY09/10 D4.......advice pls
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kevinreeves

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Moving from a MY05 D3 to a MY09/10 D4.......advice pls

Hi all, although very happy with my D3 I have now clocked up 100k and feel the 2.7 engine isn't quite as powerful as I would like when fully loaded pulling the twin wheel tin tent up hills in Devon! I was therefore looking for a D4 and wondered if there were any horror stories of things to watch out for when purchasing one ? Found a lovely MY09 HSE 38k miles in black with almond interior and headrest TV's etc on for 32k. Only issue I have is it's not coming from a LR dealer and they want to give only 3 month warranty ( which I know will be worth nothing the moment I leave the forecourt!) advice greatly received......
Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #11845398th Nov 2013 9:47 pm
kiwirich

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Kevin,

Have you done the Engine Remap from BAS ?

I found the D4 ride was quite harsh compared to the D3 & if you only want more power, there are other options that may work out cheaper than replacing the Car completely.

On the other hand, if you want a D4 ........ That's obviously well justified.

Post #11846248th Nov 2013 11:55 pm
Broadsword

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
09 Discovery 4 HSE- one of the earliest, a press car

Mine is the above, bought early in this year with 46k, now 51k. It is covered by warranty. Problems sorted this year include rear suspension bushes, a seat belt sensor and a new battery and recently two door locks. Mine was £3k cheaper than yours from a dealer (and the same age as yours will be now) and with a one year cast iron warranty. They even drive 50 miles to pick it up to repair it.

There are greater experts than me, but bushes seem to have been due at about this milege and door locks are still a problem inherited from the D3. The battery was probably due for replacement (remember it is an agm so more expensive). The sensor was probably a one off. Had I been footing the bill, I would be down well over £1k by now. possibly closer to £2k- the locks alone were £660. The cameras sometimes don't work but this appears pretty common and as they work 90% of the time, I live with it. I doubt that a D4 will be trouble free, even though you would be a few miles behind mine so factor those costs in within the year if you are doing say 10k a year or more in that time. I accept that others may say mine has not been typical and you will see most of the fault advice on the site relates to the D3. However the D3 today is the D4 tomorrow. That said, except for its gigantic size in confined spaces, I love it and have no intention of changing it. I did not have a D3 so cannot compare.

I used to live near you, but now on the (very) hilly south coast although none of the faults should be attributed to that.
 Brian - East Sussex

----------------------------
2009 (09) 10MY Discovery 4 HSE
Nara Bronze
Ebony Upholstery
Side steps
Tow bar
Surround Cameras
TV
Full floor mats
Heated steering wheel (!) 

Post #11846289th Nov 2013 12:09 am