DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

My new favourite thing [Updated]
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
drmcw

United Kingdom 

haroosh wrote:
They look better than the original marketing pictures... Wow

Agreed. First thought was why has he pasted brochure pictures in?

Post #84839117th Oct 2011 6:02 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Cubik (Andy)

As i am sure you must have picked upon by now from the many posts in response to your quite amazing pictures, You certainly seem to have have quite a talent in the photography department.

You certainly leave me very hungry for more. Do you have any ?

Post #84882618th Oct 2011 6:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cubik

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi, and thanks!

I've only owned the car for a few weeks and been on a couple of trips, so I would say I only have variations of the pics/backgrounds you've already seen. I'm sure I'll post more winter pics when the snow comes and I go skiing, and in the meanwhile I'll browse through the ones I took and see if I can squeeze out another couple of usable ones Thumbs Up

Post #84883118th Oct 2011 7:05 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Quote:
They look better than the original marketing pictures

Andy, don't sell yourself short.
These are simply amazing pictures that are way better than anything LR can muster.

If it were the current model, LR would undoubtedly pay you shed loads for royalties to use them in their promotional literature etc.

If i were LR i certainly would not hesitate to give you a D4 in exchange for such great pictures.

food for thought Thumbs Up

Post #84883618th Oct 2011 7:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cubik

Laughing

Oh I don't think they're quite up there with the marketing-material. I'd need a £20k flash setup, a Hasselblad camera, and a week or two somewhere up in the mountains in spring to get something with that quality. Thanks for the compliments though, appreciate it. I'll admit it helps living where I do and having a car that looks good from any angle when you want dramatic pictures.

Post #84889418th Oct 2011 9:29 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Sorry Chap, but i still totally and absolutely disagree.

Read back through the posts on this thread and see how many automatically assumed these WERE LR marketing pics and in some cases stating they were even better. I am clearly not alone in my thinking and would ask others to post up further in support.

IMHO you simply cannot recreate the kind of Gut feeling your pictures do in any studio or with any amount of equipment.

Each and any of the four pictures you have already posted up makes it seem and feel like the vehicle has just been there and done that with ease and emerged totally unscathed and in absolute showroom condition.

I particularly like the second one which would seem totally photo shopped, except for the fact that the blueness of the background is captured in the Vehicles Color.

It may well help that you happen to live in an environment that provides you with such stunning Background scenery. But that you are able to place such a clean vehicle, albeit a very photogenic one, in just the right spot to create the gut feeling you have is IMHO a real talent.

Post #84936419th Oct 2011 7:15 pm
Cubik

Aww thank you - you're making me blush Laughing I'm very fond of the second one myself as the nice sunset on the car and fresh layer of snow made it really stand out.

Glad you like them, I squeezed out a few more for you. They're from the same trip so nothing radically new I'm afraid (and weirdly I seem to have snapped almost every pic of the car from the right):

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #84944819th Oct 2011 9:49 pm
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Agreed, great pics Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #84945019th Oct 2011 9:54 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

They are still not shabby at all Cubik

Not one would look out of place against any professionally taken library shot.

What kind of equipment are you using BTW?

Yea, i just love Blues myself, bit of an addict you might say Whistle

Although your vehicle is silver, you certainly managed to turn it blue with some of your backgrounds.

And although there is no Blue in your tundra shots, you really do seem to have captivated high technology in the wild.

I know you might just see these pictures as just your own D3 in your typical everyday environment, but try to imagine others seeing them as "i want one" and i would love to be in that kinda place with it.

Post #85107424th Oct 2011 6:33 pm
Cubik

They say there's a blueish tint in the Zermatt silver paint, and I have to agree. You really see it at dusk.

I use a 3-year-old Nikon DSLR and a few lenses of good quality, and always bring a tripod strapped on the back of my backpack.

BBS SPY wrote:
I know you might just see these pictures as just your own D3 in your typical everyday environment, but try to imagine others seeing them as "i want one" and i would love to be in that kinda place with it.

That's kinda spot on why I bought one. Can't beat the feeling of opening the tailgate after a night in the back, brewing a cup of coffee and watching the sunrise. All in a spot several miles up in the mountains where only tractors, the army and you have driven a vehicle. Later the same evening (after 10 mins with a water hose) you can pick up your girl outside a fancy restaurant and people will turn around to look at your gorgeous car Very Happy

Post #85120424th Oct 2011 10:39 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Re: My new favourite thing [Updated]

Cubik wrote:
- Disappointing stereo for such an expensive car.

Except a few glitches and disappointments

Question - has your vehicle got the premium ICE with Harmon-Kardon Logic 7 ?....if it hasnt OK.....if it has I just wonder what you are comparing it with...my XK with Bowers & Wilkins speakers just doesnt compare....wish I had the option of B&O

Glitches & diappointments...in my experience come with everything mechanical, electrical / electronic tecnological......about the only exception to this is my wristwatch.....& thats old technology..clockwork

The costly oil service puzzles me....is ervicing high priced in your part of the world generally or does this stand out as being higher than the norm....
My experience here with LR dealers is that they jump ahead to services you dont need based onthe age of the vehicle rather than the miles / km the vehicle has actually done...far better for them as its always more money they make & you (the customer) actually pay...& it doesnt make your car go any better or worth more.

The best car service system I have experienced was with a SAAB being serviced by Continental Cars in Wellington New Zealand......they didnt do minor - mid & major services....but had a flat rate of around NZ$300 & car came to garage every 10k - kms...this ensured that people came back & you didnt get any surprise or shock bills...they staged the 2yrs/3yrs or that many km's items acordingly.....some brought forwards some delayed...all very intelligent....thier point was that cars "go on forever in NZ" & this ensured cars they maintained & got back as trade in's stayed reliable.

I'm doing the same with my D3 & stating what I want to be done
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Last edited by BLFarrar on 25th Oct 2011 8:59 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #85125325th Oct 2011 8:09 am
abernanteagle

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

The question is, how did you manage to drive there without getting any dirt on the car???? Mine gets dirty just getting over the drive!
 Dec 04 TDV6 HSE in Tonga green with Alpaca interior.  
Post #85125825th Oct 2011 8:32 am
Cubik

abernanteagle wrote:
The question is, how did you manage to drive there without getting any dirt on the car????

The ground was very dry and hard. There is a gravel/construction road close by that I used as well.

Post #85127125th Oct 2011 9:04 am
Cubik

@BLFarrar

Yes, the biggest ICE package with the Logic7. I've mostly driven european cars like BMW 3 series and Audi A4, but I drove a Mitsubishi Outlander for a while with an original Rockford Fossgate stereo that really surprised me. I just feel the LR stereo from H&K lacks some "umph". Keep in mind, I suspect the dealer that rebuildt this car to a van removed the subwoofer in the process. I don't know where the subwoofer is located so I'm not sure. Anyway, it's no big deal, I just expected better, but it's perfectly adequate and certainly well above your average rice-cooker stereo.

I've never paid more than £100-150 (and often ~£50) for an oil service before so I was puzzled as well. I asked the LR dealer why the high cost and they said the car needs more oil than normal cars plus they "look over" the car. However when I picked up the car I asked if they found anything while "looking over" and the guy I talked to just said "No, we just changed the oil and filter, nothing else. The service isn't until next year" Rolling Eyes I have another service (A or B one) due in spring, and the guy estimated around £750, which is OK for a main service IMO. Service costs are high in this country, yes. Actually anything car-related is expensive here, and I think the politicians don't want us to drive cars at all. Great politics in a country where roads are the only way of reaching 80% of the country.

Post #85127925th Oct 2011 9:28 am
hensoni

United Kingdom 

Quote:
I don't know where the subwoofer is located

In the lower tailgate panel. The gain control for it is buried in the audio settings.
 Club missing my D3  
Post #85130125th Oct 2011 10:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >