Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

no radio only CD
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
no radio only CD

Just gone to pick the daughter up, and the radio didn't work, it tuned to the stations ok, but no sound, also no I pod - but the CD worked fine Shocked so amplifier section ok, phone also working.

Switched unit off and on, still didn't work, switched car off and on, still no sound, - came home sulked for 10minuets, when outside and it now all works fine. - is this a known fault ????

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #3677181st Nov 2008 9:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
busaboy74

Had that once too, never happened again.

Post #3677301st Nov 2008 9:34 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Base Head Unit? I'm on my third replacement, finally gone after market. Rolling Eyes The OEM ones are pooorly made and do strange things.
If stopping and starting doesn't do it dis connect the battery for 10 secs. (remember to wait for the 'P' on th dash to go out first)
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #3678032nd Nov 2008 2:29 am
catweasel

caverD3 wrote:
The OEM ones are pooorly made
Confused I would disagree. I play cd's when out bush and it never misses a beat even when changing a disc unlike other makes that cant cope with the corrugations and stuff. with offroad use these things must take a pounding and still keep ticking and are pretty darn good IMHO.  
Post #3678042nd Nov 2008 2:41 am
caverD3

Mine has lost the FM channel completely ( I meen totally silent), failed to find FM channels, failed to start up on last channel selected (blank again). not cured by starting up again nor software updates by dealer. It is the tuner that is poorly made/designed the electronics not the pysical chassis. I think there is a reason they have put the hi-ace stereo in the new model SE. Dealer said they have replaced a lot of them.
Also CW if you live in a dead flat area reception with a cr Censored p tuner won't be an issue.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #3678052nd Nov 2008 3:41 am
catweasel

who cares where you live Confused and who lives there.

Quote:
The OEM ones are pooorly made
in your opinion due to your issues and anecdotal evidence. bit of a sweeping stement and although I can pick up stations (FM) hundreds of kms away I listen to my own music as most radio content is not worth the concern.  
Post #3678102nd Nov 2008 4:40 am
caverD3

catweasel wrote:
who cares where you live Confused and who lives there.

Calm down CW. Wink

What I was saying is what you confirmed. You have good reception so you don't need a good tuner. You also may have just got one with no issues.
Sydney topography is different particularly Northern Sydney why it is quite hilly. This makes it difficult for a tuner to pick up and hold stations. My aftermarket unit has had no problems even without a diversity antenna.

I was relating my experience of the LR head unit. It is the base unit and the sound is also poor, which is to be expected with the basic speakers they have installed. I have experienced worse OEM units but I am not alone in thinking the LR base unit is poor for a car of this price.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #3678112nd Nov 2008 5:34 am
catweasel

Shocked am calm, not enough emotion in my responses.
besides Ive run out of gas for my flamethrower for a flaming response Whistle
I have the hi-line but have also had a similar issue to the original post except nothing would work bar the illumnation. it happened in the first couple of days and never returned. the D3 was just settling in

Post #3678132nd Nov 2008 6:14 am
caverD3

catweasel wrote:
Shocked am calm, not enough emotion in my responses.
besides Ive run out of gas for my flamethrower for a flaming response Whistle

Laughing

catweasel wrote:
:I have the hi-line [/b]

So we are actually talking about completely different systems. The hi-line is a great sounding piece of kit and with the diversity antenna you would have fantastic reception in all situations.

Shiny moose is it the base or hi-line?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #3678142nd Nov 2008 7:00 am
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi line with 6cd changer, the strange thing about it was it also included the AUX feed when it stopped working but not the CD.

I am going out shortly, we will see what happens then.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #3678492nd Nov 2008 12:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

There have been a few AFAIK who have had to restart but no major issues with them.
As I said I have the Base one so can only say what I've read.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #3678582nd Nov 2008 12:33 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

There is a software update for the radio to stop it loosing sound and/or locking up. Had mine done and it solved the problem, but I still have a hardware fault which means the CD changer stops working when it is 25 degree's or warmer Confused

Post #3678692nd Nov 2008 1:41 pm
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Caver

I have the base unit and on my 3rd unit,also had 2 replacements in my previous D3.
Interested you have replaced the OEM unit with an after market unit if I read correctly?,assume this is non LR - very interested in doing this so please share this gem my friend.

Cheers!!!

Thumbs Up

Post #3680782nd Nov 2008 9:54 pm
stevejhunt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Yes please enlighten us. My Base radio freezes every morning if I turn it on to FM after starting. I have a little ritual now. Turn the CD on before I put key in ignition so it goes into power save mode. Start up and I have music. Once warm I can switch to FM but not too soon otherwise it locks again. Fuse thing doesn't work so a replacement unit sounds like my solution.
 I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member...........

06 Buck Blue Disco 3 TDV6
84 Marine Blue Series 3 2.25 petrol
06 Silver Audi A4 Cabriolet (the wife's baby) 

Post #3680792nd Nov 2008 10:04 pm
caverD3

simoniz wrote:
Caver

I have the base unit and on my 3rd unit,also had 2 replacements in my previous D3.
Interested you have replaced the OEM unit with an after market unit if I read correctly?,assume this is non LR - very interested in doing this so please share this gem my friend.

Cheers!!!

Thumbs Up

I gave up on the OEM unit. Rolling Eyes
I replaced it with a Pioneer unit but put in a Xenarc slide out sreen in as well:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I used this, which is a freelander facia adaptor, but you are better getting the double din Kenwood one, a lot les fu Censored king around to fit. See this post: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic22558.html

I would suggest going for a double din unit if you are only putting in a head unit though. It would look a lot better.

Easily done and if you use the wiring adaptor you can put the OEM back in when you sell.
You will need to replace the speakers as the OEM are really cr Censored p. See post:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic7072.html

Others have done more fancy installs as well: http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2136

The sound is so much better. Mine also has blue teeth (both phone and music) USB stick and I-Pod connection plus Aux in. Very Happy

Still trying to get the steering wheel control interface to work. Sad Confused
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #3680942nd Nov 2008 10:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >