DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

planning a dremel attack on my RAI
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DaveM

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
planning a dremel attack on my RAI

Anyone done this?

From the basic design, the air is being drawn in from a low pressure area when the car is moving at speed - this doesnt make sense in 99% of driving, I thought about fitting a plate between the tube and the top part to be able to swivel it around like the snorkel design but this went into the 'too hard' file once I looked at the shape of the tube and the hex bolts into the top.

So next idea, is to get out the dremel Shocked and attack the front - as per the original design, but my concern would be then there is an air path over the top of the tube, creating another low pressure area in the tube!!

So has anyone blocked up the rear (so to speak) and drilled the front or come up with any other mods to the RAI. I'm not looking for huge or for that fact, any power increase - but it just doesnt seem to be a particulary good design

cheers
dave

Post #5036944th Aug 2009 4:03 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I believe the RAI points backwards to reduce the amount of dirt and water sucked in when travelling at speed; I recall someone else has done this mod, but haven't yet found the posts.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #5036954th Aug 2009 4:07 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: planning a dremel attack on my RAI

DaveM wrote:
or come up with any other mods to the RAI.

You could always get rid of all the holes in the elbow, seal it and turn it into a Snorkel.

Had my airfilter out a week ago and could see evidence of water at the bottom of the housing.

I've said it before, but the LR RAI is like having a pair of wellies with vented ankles!!
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #5036964th Aug 2009 4:12 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Dave , I bought mine second hand on here and it came with the slots in the front of the cone on the top.I've een one or two with the same.The new ones that I have seen ( tanters for one) don't have the slots on the front.I think he has a thread on it somewhere.

I haven't had any problems with mine and I think I actually put tanters one ( without the slots) and drove it for a week with no noticeable difference.Or was it he borrowed mine and he drove .......... Confused Rolling Eyes

Post #5037034th Aug 2009 4:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DaveM

stapldm, I would agree with that if this was a snorkel, but as it has a 'holey' elbow and drains in the airbox under the filter i wouldnt have throught water ingress would be a major risk and the filter should remove dirt, small animals, pedestrians etc.

The RAI on TFC's had slots in the front of the top and the grill on the rear, this looks like a good mod, if you can then block up the rear?

cheers
dave

Post #5037044th Aug 2009 4:29 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

Didn't the G4 D3's have slots cut in the front. I know the RRS did
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #5037104th Aug 2009 5:06 pm
ronp

It's only the newer RAI's that don't have the front slots.
All earlier models do.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #5037134th Aug 2009 5:10 pm
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up
all early one's had slots...we had this discussion on Disco3 sometime ago, i managed to speak to one of LR accessory guru's who confirmed this

The NEW RAI which will be out mid August will be co=designed for the D4 as it will fit both models (and before you ask, yes the V8 will need 2 RAI's as both air pick ups work)
The new ves=rsion will have a slight different design and if i remeber correctly a smoother design rather than grain effect
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #5037764th Aug 2009 8:33 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Will look 'interesting' with two RAIs.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #5037804th Aug 2009 8:47 pm
ronp

The Large One wrote:

yes the V8 will need 2 RAI's as both air pick ups work

I can see a few [dummy] LHS RAIs being ordered for both the D4 and D3!!! Rolling Eyes

You saddos Evil or Very Mad

How much are they btw
Whistle
Post #5037824th Aug 2009 8:50 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If I could just bring this back to a serious level again... Whistle

So what is the verdict...? Is it a possible problem if the RAI has the slots in it as well as opening at the rear...? (Because that's what mine has). There must be a reason for the design change.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #5038624th Aug 2009 10:48 pm
ronp

If it were that big a problem JFL, LR would need to do a recall.
I'm sure it'll just be for small effect/savings.
Post #5038754th Aug 2009 10:57 pm
DaveM

thats the underlying reason for asking the question, I cannot see any airflow advantage from just having the grill at the back, equally I cant see an risk from having holes front and rear, but again no advantage either as both configs suck in air from a low pressure area once the car is moving, seems that the change is cosmetic and the best config would to be have a swivellable top like the snorkel.

I think I'm going to attack it with the dremel and try to devise a blanking plate for the rear for use in normal conditions

Post #5038974th Aug 2009 11:41 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

The backwards facing RAI is helpful for those of us driving about in dusty roads (there has to be some downside from all that sunshine Mr. Green ). I have the V8 and noticed no decrease in all in fuel consumption with or without the RAI. The slightly reduced induction pressure is probably offset by the cooler air higher above the bitumen. Then again, our max speed limit is 110 km/hr (and it's >2000 km to the next state so it takes forever Evil or Very Mad ). At high speeds, it might make a difference, but then again, this would be offset by all the extra fuel stops.

With the TDI, I would think that the very slight reduction in suction air just means that the turbo is on a teeny bit more boost all the time.

In really bad bulldust (for an example, see http://www.offroadimages.com.au/library/thumbnails.php?album=4 ), I've put a sock over the RAI to try and act as a pre-filter (note I do have the slots, but can't imagine they let in much air in normal ops - probably more to do with preventing some resonation in the long tube damaging the turbo on a TDI). The back-facing intake does reduce dust - the sock there has little dust caked in it compared to a mate's forward-facing Landcruiser snorkle. Maybe the solution in getting max benefit out of the RAI is to take it on a long drive in Australia Very Happy
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #5039155th Aug 2009 3:36 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >