Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Plug in chip or remap
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
guy lewis

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Plug in chip or remap

Whats best, a tunit plug- in or simlar, or remap? I only do about 8k miles per year but would like to get rid of the flat spots and enhance the drivability in general. A bit more power and better mpg would be nice.
 D3 bonatti grey  
Post #80222831st May 2011 9:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Simple - remap
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #80223031st May 2011 9:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
guy lewis

Thought that would be the answer Martin, but can you explain why as i would like to make a good informed decision.
 D3 bonatti grey  
Post #80223931st May 2011 9:56 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It's a topic which crops up pretty much every month, if not every week Wink So a search will pull up more info.

But in essence plug in boxes modify the signals from the ECU and make the engine do something that the ECU doesn't know it's doing, whilst lying to the ECU by modifying the signals going back to it.

Remaps alter lots parameters inside the ECU, so it runs the engine with that new set of parameters.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #80224231st May 2011 10:05 pm
guy lewis

Ok, so whats best for the ecu? re any potential damage and can any harm come to the engine. I know lots of D3 owners do do this mod but i want to do whats best for the vehicle long trem.
 D3 bonatti grey  
Post #80225531st May 2011 10:20 pm
anglefire

England 

Remap is best long term as, done properly, like all the site sponsor ones, the ECU is given a new set of parameters to work to, as Martin already said, but keep the safety ones in place.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #80225831st May 2011 10:27 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Most "plug in boxes" connect to the rail pressure sensor only and use a programed MCU that alters the rail pressure signal output from the sensor before it goes to the ecu as said above.

The signal that goes to the ecu is used in many ways but one is to alter the high pressure pump control valve depending on fuel quantity and pressure needed for a spacific pedal demand required by the driver, changing the control valve alters the pressure in the rail for the injetors to meet the required demand.

The MCU alters this signal making the ecu think the pressure in the rail is low and in turn controls the pump control valve to close and rase the pressure in the rail to match what it beleives in needs.

This works to a certian extent to gain small amounts of power admitinglly but does have its limitations, EG you can only put through an injector a certian amount of fuel efficently depending on the trigger duration of that injector, so no matter how much you rase the pressure you still can not get the full amount through the injector because the duration is simply not eniough.
It also in some cases if is turned up high, over works the high pressure pump to meet what it belives is demand which could after long term use cause premature pump failure.

The pump is designed to work at certian pressure and not really built to exceed that pressure, the D3 pump generates as standard 1600bar @ 4000 psi, i know from manafactures documents i have that the pump will not stand much more safley for long periods without eventually causing problems internally.

An engine remap alters many things directly inside the ecu from injector timing, injector pluse width, turbo vane angle, turbo boost pressure, torque limiters and many more things which i beleive it a far more effective and safe way to increae power from the engine V a plug in box.

Pete

Last edited by bellautos on 31st May 2011 10:57 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #80226931st May 2011 10:50 pm
jimbo23

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Guy give Pete at BAS a ring. My D3 is remapped by him and its like another motor now Very Happy

You also get a interface kit so you can remove the remap for dealer visits and it doubles up as a engine fault code reader too.

Pete is a top bloke always at the end of the phone with support whenever needed.

Thumbs Up

Post #80227331st May 2011 10:54 pm
burtm1

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Has anyone had any issues with insurance companies with regards to a remap? Will most insurers accept this mod without any big hassles or huge premium hikes?

Post #8023811st Jun 2011 11:12 am
Berlin Warrior

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The HP fuel pump on a mates Freelander failed a few weeks back, he's been using a "plug in" chip with the "volume" turned right up.

I had a re-map from TFC, would highly recommend TFC and the Torq Tune re-map.
 Knowledge & Reason - the arch enemy of faith

MY2008, Java Black TDV6 HSE, Alpaca with straight grain Wood, 19" alloys, fully loaded with all the toys Smile

Discovery 3, you know it makes sense. 

Post #8024031st Jun 2011 12:07 pm
anglefire

England 

burtm1 wrote:
Has anyone had any issues with insurance companies with regards to a remap? Will most insurers accept this mod without any big hassles or huge premium hikes?

No hassle, and about £50
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #8024191st Jun 2011 1:10 pm
Syd

United Kingdom 

Many years back, I use to have a spare ECU that had a performance map, so when the car went in for a service, I would simply fit the original ECU.
This could well be worth looking at as there must be a few second hand ECU's kicking about.
 In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Down and out's Velar
In UK - Dare not say on this Forum
Gone - Lots of Lode Lane vehicles.
- Beta User 

Post #8024281st Jun 2011 1:21 pm
StaticMotion

Scotland 

Just a thought and correct me if I'm wrong but the forthcoming changes in the pipeline and agreed by VOSA have made engine remapping a MOT failure. However as the MOT centre can't take bits off to look at things the ones that will fail are the add on plug in boxes.

I'm not sure if this is what you are thinking of but if it is then by all acounts in the first quarter of 2012 it would make your car a MOT failure unless removed.

I'll have a look for the VOSA link that had it all on it again, read it a while back.

Post #8025451st Jun 2011 7:44 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If the MOT thing does come in then the BAS Remap Interface will be for sure handy for the end user, 5 mins to re write the ecu back to standard before any MOT or Dealer visit without even lifting the bonnet and fiddeling with plugs and connectors Thumbs Up

Pete

Post #8025491st Jun 2011 7:49 pm
StaticMotion

Scotland 

Quote:
If the MOT thing does come in then the BAS Remap Interface will be for sure handy

Lol I'll line em up you knock em home. Laughing

I can't find the link at the moment sorry, but it's under I think section 6.something Illegal engine modification.

Edit: here we go knew I had read it' theres a lot of discussion in the site here http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic60301.html

Post #8025521st Jun 2011 7:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >