DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

Premium sound, are you kidding me?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Floppi

Switzerland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4
Premium sound, are you kidding me?

Fellow LR enthusiasts,

maybe one of you will be able to help me. My Discovery 4 is equiped with the top of the line sound package and navigation. I believe it is Harman Kardon Logic 7 Dolby. I am a huge fan of High Fidelity sound and therefore went for the premium package when I ordered my Land Rover back in 2010, hoping it would perform at least like the Bose system I had in my audi before.

Unfortunately, this stereo system is so far away from being premium that I would almost call it a rip off. Maybe someone will be able to help:

- I had to switch my navigation system to silent. I still don't understand how you are able to change the volume to a normal level without turning deaf when the system gives you any directions. I already went to see my dealer and he couldn't help me either. He showed me some menu, made a few changes in the overal volume setup with the result that nothing has changed. Not a top priority but if someone knows what to do, I'd be happy for a tip.

- Overall sound quality: Seriously, either my speakers are broken, not installed properly or there is a manufacturing problem in general. I have tested the speakers with the following sources: DAB, CD (both CD R and High quality recordings as well as my Ipod. The subwoofer is a huge joke as it makes noise but no premium bass. The mid range results in rattling speakers in their housings and the heights....well, they are present but far from being premium as well.

As I mentioned before, I am a huge fan of High Fidelity sound, so I am not one of those talents that yanks the bass settings to the maximum and wonders why the sound is bad. Smile)

I have tried the factory settings, tried a completly neutral setting with Logic off and a few other versions. Could not find a setting that would allow good sound quality in all volume ranges. I listen to a lot of Jazz, Rock and some Electronic music and the hearing pleasure is largely reduced by those speakers especially in the higher volume section.

Did anybody come across the same problem? Any setup ideas or mods to be done that greatly improve the quality of this stereo system?

I am very thankful for any tips.

Thanks in advance and best from Switzerland,

Flo

Post #75295627th Jan 2011 1:02 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

"hoping it would perform"
And here's where you went wrong; could you not have tried a demonstrator first?
Cars are a nightmare for decent audio reproduction; large cars especially so. You'll probably need to drop some serious SFr for a third-party refit & still be disappointed.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #75296327th Jan 2011 1:16 pm
Floppi

DrLex wrote:
could you not have tried a demonstrator first?
Cars are a nightmare for decent audio reproduction; large cars especially so.

Yeah, I got a demonstrator....a Discovery 3 SE and my dealer said: "You know, the Discovery 4 will be pretty much the same car, just a few costmetic changes." I just meant to give you an example of how incredibly talented they are at my dealership.

I do agree with you on the point that getting good sound into a car is a challenge. The Disco is huge and has lots of glass on it (at least mine has). Surely not an easy task to get proper sound engineering done under these cirumstances, but surely possible. If I look at the Bose system in an Audi Q7 or the Harman Kardon Logic 7 in a Beamer X5 I would say that they have done their homework.

Well, unless someone has an idea of a modification that can improve on the quality I am still very eager to know. Otherwise I will just have to put up with it and learn my lesson for the next Land Rover purchase. Very Happy

Post #75298627th Jan 2011 2:08 pm
DaveC

United Kingdom 

If you were happy with the sound in the D3 does point towards something not being quite right with your D4 as I'm sure the systems are same?
 XC90 T8 R Design Pro

MY14 D4 HSE Lux (sadly gone)
Mariana Black with Ivory interior and lots of toys! 

Post #75301927th Jan 2011 3:06 pm
Floppi

DaveC wrote:
If you were happy with the sound in the D3 does point towards something not being quite right with your D4 as I'm sure the systems are same?

Actually the D3 I test drove did not have the Harmann Kardon so there was no way to test it. After the test drive I ordered the premium sound system, hoping it would be what the dealer told me: premium.

Unfortunately, my dealer is not the most skilled one when it comes to technical issues (actually the sales person could not even explain to me how to check the oil level in an HSE model when they handed over the car). Guess it's just another lesson learned: Premium is not always premium Wink)

Post #75303127th Jan 2011 3:29 pm
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

I had an email exhange 2 years ago with a rep at Harmon Kardon who was familliar with the D3 and its system. The rep told me that HK recommended to LR that they install additional sound matting in the doors but were turned down. The rep recommended to me that I remove the front and rear doorcards and install a "dynamat" like product to the door itself to improve quality. I haven't read on the forum of anyone doing this on a D4 but I could see that it would help. My D3 speakers rumble and buzz and I have the premium system as well. If I ever get around to installing additional matting I'm sure I could solve/improve my sound.
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #75304927th Jan 2011 4:13 pm
mzplcg

England 

OK, I had the HK system in my old D3 HSE and also have it in the FFRR. The only premium bit is the price I'm afraid.

Dynamat will help although it won't disguise the fact that the amplifier is woefully underpowered. What would also make a difference is to make some fibreglass pods to go behind the mids - this will isolate it from the bass driver.

I'm currently investigating the Audison Bit one device with a view to removing the HK amp (or at least isolating it) and then using something like Genesis amps (Sinfoni if I can ever afford them) with some decent drive units. Scheduled to try out the Audison this weekend with some old skool Nakamichi amps on the original speakers. Depending on the results will decide what I do next. I'm really trying to see if the sound quality coming from the head unit is any good or not.

As regards the sub (if you want to call it that) you have plenty of space in a D3 in the rear 1/4 panels. You could fit some decent 8 or 10 inch units in there and use the feed form the existing sub to power an amp which accepts high level inputs. I looked at a pair of 8 inch units in each side which would just have fitted nicely. If you can be bothered to build a box for them which fits behind the panel, port it correctly and put a hefty amp behind it all you would have some respectable bass lines.

HTH

Dom

Post #75306827th Jan 2011 5:06 pm
bobgolden

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Flo,

You can change the volume for the satnav and alerts etc. but it's not intuitive and I don't have the manual to hand right now. however, you have to press and hold the tone button for a few seconds and an additional sub-menu appears. I can't remember what main menu function you have to be in first - probably the audio.
 2010 MX-5 2.0 Sport Tech PRHT
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip

Gone BMW X5 xDrive 30d M Sport (F15)
Gone Disco 4 HSE SD V6
Gone 2008 Jaguar XF 2.7TD Premium Luxury 

Post #75308727th Jan 2011 6:17 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Interested in the "damping in the doors" idea. I've found turning the bass almost completely down and the sub almost all the way up gets rid of the "boominess". That's in the D3 - can't comment on the D4.

Post #75311627th Jan 2011 7:31 pm
2DISCO3ORNOT

How about an upgrade............

http://www.news.mcdonaldlandrover.co.uk/20...ystem.html

a case of sounds too good to be true Whistle

Post #75313027th Jan 2011 7:53 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

[quote="Floppi"]
DaveC wrote:
Premium is not always premium Wink)

My disco I consider quite good ...I have a variety of cars & been in many others with high specced & very costly systems
my disappointment is my XK with a Bowers & Wilkins system.....it is supposed to be what is stated in the brochure
...top of the range ? .....I am not impressed at all

If you are that disappointed reject the car...
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #75313927th Jan 2011 8:07 pm
doubledoom

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I find the logic 7 HK is better than the B&O I had in my previous Audi. Don't get me wrong, that was good too but, like many Audi A/S5 owners, there were many complaints at the poor sub and low quality bass.

Have you checked to see if the logic 7 is turned on?

The choice is limited as there is only the logic 7 on/off and bass/treble adjustments. I still have to use a program called idfx to enhance the mp3s to a level I prefer (not to use on your master library but useful for those you keep in your car). I still had to use that in my audi previously to get the sound I wanted. You may want to check it out. Its not an ideal solution but seeing as no car is perfect on sound, it can be a good solution.

Post #75368828th Jan 2011 10:54 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Reading all this has got me stroking my Arcam kit in the corner of the living room. Mmmmmmmm, nice.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #75369828th Jan 2011 11:13 pm
whoami

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

BLFarrar wrote:

If you are that disappointed reject the car...

Good luck with that Smile

Post #75370328th Jan 2011 11:17 pm
koen_dr

Belgium 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I've got a C70 with the rather excellent specialy customised Dynaudio setup and that sounds awesome (if the roof stops rattling Mr. Green ) but also quite enjoy the Logic 7 that is installed in our D4. It plays great for a fact, taking in regard the huge space.... Maybe they screwed up or there's something wrong with the amp or subs??
 2015 Discovery SDV6 HSE Fuji White with Black pack
Old:2010 LR4 Discovery 3.0TDV6 HSE Full Spec 

Post #75389629th Jan 2011 4:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >