Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Remove centre dash sections - 12vAux power/ashtray
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
airhog

United Kingdom 

Firstly hello, just bought a D3 and am as pleased as punch with it.

Been searching the archives about fitting a bluetooth kit and am having problems.....

I need to get power for the nokia kit and read about taking it off the back of the lighter socket, sounds good..

Spent the last couple of hours tearing the car apart and cant see for the life of me how you can tap these without taking the acc/ashtray panel out?? There just doesnt seem to be any access.

I have had the facia out and pulled the acc/ashtray panel out of it's clips to the point where it was about to break, but still cant find the room I would need. Bit of a pain as I just uninstalled the kit out of my old BMW, which reminded me just how easy it all was in that car!!

Any thoughts very welcome

Post #36244320th Oct 2008 4:42 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The guy who fitted mine powered it off the back of the radio. ( It was fitted before it was delivered to me)Dont know if it was a good ideabut I havent had any problems.

The ashtray does come out fully . You have to remove the gear surround which alows the plastic piece below the ashtray to come out ( this piece is lipped or rebated under the gear surround) in turn releasing the ashtray.

Post #36244820th Oct 2008 4:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

There's probably just enough room to grab the 12v feed to the cig lighter if you remove the ALL the panels above the ashtray. But as others have stated, you can get 12V feed from the back of the radio unit....
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #36274121st Oct 2008 2:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Hi, Does the panel around the centre dash (RADIO & AIR CON ETC) just pull off iff you tug it hard enough?

Post #75192125th Jan 2011 11:31 am
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The H shaped bit? Yes, just pull it towards you ('into' the car). It's 'hinged' at the top above the vents so you need to start pulling out at the bottom first, then working upwards. There's only four clips, two on each side (the type where the metal flies off nver to be found again, but heard rattling annoyingly).

Post #75213325th Jan 2011 8:16 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Yes did it earlier and it came off quite easily but I lost a middle clip but this did not effect putting it back. Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #75213825th Jan 2011 8:20 pm
elpiloto

United Arab Emirates 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 3
WHAT YOU NEEEEEED TO KNOW TO DO THIS!!!!!!!

To get to the point of removing the ashtray use this step by step guide:

NOTE GOT AS FAR AS ATTEMPTING TO PULL OUT THE ASH TRAY/CIG UNIT, BUT COULDN'T FREE IT!!! If anyone can suggest something I haven't tried please let me know!!!

1: Take the gear knob off by strongly pulling up. Careful it takes a lot of force, but will pop off. NOTE: must be done in Park position.

2: Remove the cup holder inserts and coin tray.

3: Unscrew screw which is just in front of Electric Park Brake.

4: Pull, carefully, but bloody firmly on the central panel. Best hold where cup holders are. I will eventually pop up bit by bit and work your way backwards breaking on of the clips. Note, no damage happens here and Land Rover's method WILL DO A LOT OF DAMAGE. Bloody idiots don't know how to pull apart their own car!!!

5: Disconnect the 3 electric cables and place central panel somewhere soft and safe... duh! I know!

6: Remove plastic that forms put of the coin tray base. Note this is not fixed and comes out easily.

7: Remove plastic which lines the Ash tray/Air Cond/Radio/Video Display by pulling firmly from the bottom up. NOTE: There are four clips and I pretty much grantee that you will bust at least one of the four clips. BUT, it clipped back on firmly when replaced.

8: Unscrew the 4 screws holding the Air conditioning Panel and pullout. Disconnect the electrical connections in the back of the panel.

9: unscrew the two screws for the ash tray and from here I have no bloody idea. I tried the pull while applying pressure to the top of the ash tray, but it wasn't going anywhere. Even tried releasing the two clips either side with flat head screw drivers. No joy, gave up after 2 hours.

Post #7573996th Feb 2011 4:48 pm
Caltrigger

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have been reading your post and may need your help.

I have successfully removed the H panel and climate control unit, on a seperate occasion I have removed and replace the whole black section of consol between the dash and the cubby between the seats(caoting was peeling off the plastic)... I am trying to get to the wires for the Aux power jack and did so by finding the wires above the ashtray facia...problem is as I was fiddling a small pin fell out my ash tray cover/flap and now that darn thing won't stay cloased... So, now I need to remove that ash tray facia and try fiind where that pin goes in order to fix the darn thing!!

Once the H panel is out and the consol between the seat then where do I lossen or unclip??

Really irritated as I as all the way there without breaking anything...
 "If you want to go fast, go alone...If you want to go far...Go together!"  
Post #9500673rd Jul 2012 5:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >