DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Removing Front lower wishbone - in need of some advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Adzbaby

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Removing Front lower wishbone - in need of some advice

Hi,

Well my saga continues. In the last week, I've have the track rods and ARBs done, I replaced both lower ball joints and I went merrily to get the car tracked. When the guy pulled the disco into the bay he felt a knock and immediately diagnosed that the bushes had gone in the wishbone, he took me under the bay as his colleague just went slowly backwards and forwards, applying the brakes, sure enough the last bit of knocking that can be heard is the wishbone banging into the chassis under braking. It moves about 5+ cm on both sides!

So i collected the new bushes, ordered in from the main dealer, full set with bolts etc £65, so that was not too bad. I've tackled the offside first. I have the hub assembly off and the wishbone is ready to come off. Well its actually not. I've got the bolt holding the front of the wishbone loose and I have the nut off the rear bolt. But I just can not get the bolt to shift. I've whacked the end of the bolt quite a few time with a copper head mallet, no movement at all. There isn't enough room to get the breaker bar onto the head (not enough clearance under the car) it so I tried a tube over my 1/2 ratchet but it seems to be impossibly stuck.

Am I missing a trick here? The front bolt was straightforward. I am going to get a bigger hammer and try whacking the bolt but if that is the wrong thing please advise.

Has anyone else removed the front wishbone and had any issues? Thanks.

Post #64040923rd Apr 2010 8:51 pm
Adigorn

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

yes i did indeed quite often that bolt just gets stuck due to water ingress and corosion
believe me u hardly get it out with the hammer and i bet will have to use jigsaw to cut the bolt head off to remove it best of luck

Post #64042023rd Apr 2010 9:17 pm
Adzbaby

Thanks for that. Well i guess I'll try an stubby mallet first hand, it can only have corroded around the head of the bolt, I'm just amazed at how seized it is,I was convinced it must be locked in somehow.

I guess the jigsaw/hacksaw chopping off will be the last resort but still a viable option.

Post #64042423rd Apr 2010 9:27 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Seized in the bush. The rear suspension upper bolt seizes even worse than the fronts.
Usually have to end up cutting the head off.

Regards
Steve

Post #64043123rd Apr 2010 9:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Adzbaby

Well it's a sad thing but all I kept thinking about is smashing that bar steward bolt out!

It's going to pay big time tomorrow morn, he's dead in the water and the clock is ticking Wink ! (just got to watch the filter thingy thats just off to the side, dont wanna smash that).

Post #64047623rd Apr 2010 10:53 pm
Adzbaby

My goodness. I've been hacking away for the best part of the day, those bolts are an absolute pig to cut through. Every step of the way to get the wishbones out was a complete pain in the ass! OS wishbone has new bushes pressed in, just cut through the nearside bolt @ 21:15 and then called it a day. I did my marathon today!

Getting the bushes out and pressed in aint no walk in the park either. Good job I have access to a 60 ton press next door.

If I hear the faintest of knocks after all this I'm going to set fire to the fecking car! Shocked

Post #64072424th Apr 2010 10:30 pm
billy56

Northern Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

In what way did you cut the bolt,t off? by hand or with power tool,s
Mine are fine at the moment but down the line i,ll probably have
to do this, What grade are the bolt,s you cut off?

Billy

Post #64074625th Apr 2010 1:51 am
seand6262

United Kingdom 

Hi i did n/s on saturday they are a pig to get out the rear bush had its bolt seized in so i gave it some heat with the oxy acetylne bottles and plenty of wd then while moving the bolt with the spanner knocked the bolt out but there is still a knocking so going to change bottom ball joint wish id done it while wishbone was off Big Cry

Post #64098825th Apr 2010 9:16 pm
Dave T

England 

Thi9nk it's time to turn the radio up Whistle Whistle Whistle
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #64107126th Apr 2010 7:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Adzbaby

Hi Billy,

I used a combo of jigsaw and a junior hacksaw. Had to finish the nearside one off by hand as my jig broke sat night. It truly was a horrible horrible job. The bolts are about an M16. If using a jigsaw you'll need the longer length blades, I used ones that were 132mm and they were spot on, whilst the jig was working. Pressing the bushes out is pretty awkward cause of the shape of the wishbone and getting the new ones back in is tough. I would advise anyone who has ball joint and bush issues to buy the complete new wishbone unit (see the post about ball joints) as it saves so much hassle, the extra £75 a side is well worth it.

Well mines all done and being tracked as I type, the tracking was well off on the front after I stuck the bones back on, tried putting them back the same but when i drove it in to the garage it was really pulling. She'll be all sorted soon. Thumbs Up

Post #64110326th Apr 2010 9:27 am
Adzbaby

It's good to know that someone was aving as much fun as I was on Saturday Seand6262 Laughing

Never again.

Post #64110626th Apr 2010 9:30 am
Adzbaby

Just thought I'd say that since I carried out all the work and the final horror of the wishbone bushes the disco is running sweet. The front end feels solid and is quiet as a mouse, not a single knock or clunk from anywhere, it's BLISS, and now the missus is contented and happy with the car.

Just need to get my remap ordered now..........

Post #64296429th Apr 2010 9:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >