Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Sorry, but it is not a D4, more like a D3.5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Landylad

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

DG wrote:
But that statement is entirely in context with the remaining text I made at the time Confused

I do accept that there are a plethora of views which do not align with my own ...but the difference here is that it is not about personalities ... What you are saying is that when someone makes comments about the D3 which are in general ...wrong.... that this cannot be challenged. Totally different to me saying, for example, that you are a Censored for beating up your wife Thumbs Up

Shocked Whoops Whistle

I don't like the phrase 'petrol head', but I guess I fall in to that category. With that in mind, I think I'm a pretty good judge of character when it comes to cars. I've had many differnt vehicles, ranging from minis, through to Toyota pickups, Pug 205GTis and Renault 5 Turbos and beyond. So when I make an honest judgement on the D3, I do so in the knowledge that - from my angle at least - it's a pretty decent one.

I concur that those on here hold the D3 in high esteem and I can understand that someone coming on and harping about the D4 being great compared to the D3, might not go down so well. It's like all us oldies saying that music aint what it used to be like, kids are too soft nowadays and that football is played by puffs. Time's change. Change in essence, is scary for some. Change is the new D4 and I'm sure - as much as we all love the D3.. warts'n'all... we'll grow to love the D4 too.

Well, I flipin hope that's the case or that's 36.5k I just chucked down the swanny Shocked
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #5161476th Sep 2009 12:06 am
Landylad

Zermatt Vulgaris wrote:
the MG Rover quote makes reference to having to watch the sad demise of a british car maker by the constant rehashing of the same product to disguise a lack of funds to radically move the vehicle on...regularly launching all models at the same time... i hope we are not going down this route with our beloved land rovers.

it sounds from your experience that the D4 may have moved the game on which is good news...

Most certainly is my opinion. Brakes, handling and power are the main improvements. Better refinement is obviously the easiest thing that hits you when you sit inside. Not just a rehash then, more so some very good fine tuning of an already great product.

See you on the open roads of Aberdeeshire for a burn Wink
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #5161496th Sep 2009 12:09 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

It's not so much the eulogising of the D4 that I have an issue with ... after all I want one... and will have one in due course Thumbs Up

It's the comparison to that bus ...and even worse ...the X5 and Q7 Big Cry

OK on that understanding...are we fiends now or what ?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5161506th Sep 2009 12:13 am
Landylad

X5 is not a real 4X4 - more so for drug dealer and footballers (well it used to be). And the Q7 just looks plain ugly... therefore, I'd never really seriously think of buying either Wink

Bus was maybe too strong a word to use, I acknowledge. Maybe it's just my unrealistic expectations of how a nigh on 3 tonne 4x4 should handle Laughing

Friends - hell yeah. Heck, I'll even go as far as to put you on my Christmas card list!!
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #5161596th Sep 2009 12:25 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Shocked Sorry... I don't do the baby Jesus ...though its a great excuse for a Censored up Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5161606th Sep 2009 12:28 am
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Embarassed my heart was in the right place, was trying to do a kofi .......
 one wife.......livid  
Post #5161666th Sep 2009 12:43 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

No worries Gordon Thumbs Up

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Bow down
Post #5161716th Sep 2009 12:48 am
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

now that's below the belt....... Rolling with laughter
 one wife.......livid  
Post #5161746th Sep 2009 12:52 am
discoboy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

At first I was a skeptic when it came to the D4 and the fact that it looks virtually the same, but now knowing that engine and suspension upgrades have improved on an already great car, I've changed my opinion.

Surely LR did some market research and found that most D3 owners would like too keep the space, versatility and comfort of the D3 (ie not mess with internal shape, gadgets and on/off road practicality) and like the external shape and look but would like more power, better road holding and handling.

Therefore the designers decided not to mess with the internals and external design too much, instead improve the engine and suspension and provide more comfort and toys, hopefully reliability has improved too.

Then the marketeers decided that calling it anything other than D4 (D3.5, D3 Mk II etc) would just not fit with the marketing and publicity strategy and so we are left with D4. Also if they had messed with the external look, this might have put off existing owners from upgrading.

Post #5162746th Sep 2009 2:17 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
OK....

I hade a phone call from LR marketing asking me if I wanted a test drive of the D4...
An interesting conversation followed in the guy who phoned explained why the D4 model instead of D3
...its because it has a new engine

what a load of ballcocks...it has been up sized & had its eco credentials improved but it isn't a new engine
The change between D1 & D2 was a substantial one....worthy of the D1 to D2 change
It had a new engine
Longer vehicle...very few panels were carried over
Radical new suspension
+ many more

My comments to him detailed what I saw missing / wrong from the D4
Standard - AC in the rear for the HSE....a feature of previous HSE's
Standard - on all cars a removable middle rear seat headrest....basic safety requirement
Option - no painted wheel arches.....makes the car more durable
Option - no painted bumpers........more practical & durable for a 4WD vehicle

His stock answer was the vehicle is being taken up market

The change to D4 has effectively made all D3's "old" & will affect residuals...not what you would expect or need on "our" D3's.

One positive........it has a clock that can be read
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #5162976th Sep 2009 3:46 pm
Landylad

Not entirely sure I'd agree with you BLF.

Firstly, how you can say it's not a different engine is beyond me. Have you actually driven it yet? It's gone up in both power and torque and by 300cc's. It's much smoother, less noisy, more fuel efficient, has twice as many turbo chargers...... I'm struggling to understand what is required before you would agree that it is a different engine.

And I would concur with the salesman's assessment that it's being taken up a notch with the X5's, Cayenne and MSL drivers in mind. I think the plastic arches and bumpers look tacky and cheap to be honest. Yes, more durable, but if you want durability, buy a Defender.

Maybe you haven't driven it yet, maybe you have. But unless you haven't, it's a case of "we're you at the game caller?".

Ultimately, no one is holding a gun to anyone's head to go and buy it. With every new model, older models will depreciate quicker. This is life I'm afraid.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #5163276th Sep 2009 5:33 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Correct me but speed limit is 70? so my car performs well for a big car it also does more mpg over 30 on a run drives really well.Brakes are good, handles well its about driving the car in your own time not driving like a bmw driver up exhaust pipes of car in front..emissions.are a joke same as manual 2.7 so should of gone whole thing and put a manual.in 3:0 lit as it probably would of been in an even lower emission group, so good PR for all anti L/ROVER people...But each to own taste.. Mr. Green

Post #5163546th Sep 2009 6:30 pm
Landylad

No one is saying the limit is beyond 70mph... but it's the power band of the engine available to you that counts is it not. Without a tune, the standard 2.7 is a bit of a dog away from lights/roundabouts/junctions (well, my one is at least). Also, if you want to pass something in that 50-70 range on a A or B road, then there's not a huge amount of poke to get you passed in a clean and safe maneuver.

Again, can I state that the existing D3 is a great car and ticks all the boxes. The D4 for me anyway, ticks all the same boxes, but does so with ease.

What I was missing from my D3 was just that bit more from the engine (for which i looked at a tune to the, err, tune of £450), better breaks and a bit more of an assured drive. None of those things impeach on the national speed limit, but do bring a wider grin to my face and a sense of satisfaction that the tools are at my disposal should I care to use them.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #5163856th Sep 2009 7:21 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Perhaps your are right about yours as i found mine very good if i got bored with boy racers at lights suprised them and mid range good when in third.50 mph upwards...

Post #5164056th Sep 2009 7:57 pm
Landylad

Unnecessary quote removed

Aye, but the boy racers round our parts drive Evo's and Scooby Doo's, not Corsa 1.4's or Fiesta Flights Laughing

Little chance of my blowing anyone away in my Sherman tank. Farmer down the road, but that's about it Wink
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #5164786th Sep 2009 9:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >