Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Sorry, but it is not a D4, more like a D3.5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
billy56

Northern Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Had a drive in one on wednesday, It definalaty goes a lot better but i still think it not the big jump that occured when the 3 came out to jusitify calling it a 4 Thumbs Up

Post #5155884th Sep 2009 8:51 pm
Landylad

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Unnecessary quote removed

Yeah, you're probably right, but the refinement in both the engine upgrade and the brakes/suspension mean it's light years ahead of the 3 in that sense. I was thoroughly impressed and when I got back in my D3, it felt like a tractor in comparison.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #5156174th Sep 2009 9:49 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

So does the D4 corner with a lot less roll?
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #5157715th Sep 2009 11:08 am
110CSW

United Kingdom 

...and were T&C offering decent discounts? When I got my D3 (2005) the discount they offered me was half what I got elsewhere. Maybe I just didn't ask nicely enough!
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #5157785th Sep 2009 11:16 am
Landylad

110CSW wrote:
So does the D4 corner with a lot less roll?

Absolutely!! Feels more like a car now than a bus Wink
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #5158045th Sep 2009 12:10 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

That's enough for me to want one. Just need to work out the timing now.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #5158065th Sep 2009 12:11 pm
Landylad

110CSW wrote:
...and were T&C offering decent discounts? When I got my D3 (2005) the discount they offered me was half what I got elsewhere. Maybe I just didn't ask nicely enough!

Nah, not really. Although they did give me more than expected on the part ex. I think the issue is at the moment, that the 0% deal only runs til end of Sept... obviously this is a nice sweetener to try and get as many new D4's out the door as possible. I don't think they'll have much bother flogging them, therefore, don't need to offer much in the way of a deal breaker. To be honest, once you drive it, you are pretty much sold on the thing. I was.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #5158695th Sep 2009 3:55 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Landylad wrote:

Strange......my D3 has never handled like a bus..... Confused

Still....I suppose that's why the D3 didn't win many awards....you know....what with it being so crap and all that Rolling Eyes

Wink
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #5158775th Sep 2009 4:36 pm
madeinengland

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I had a quick look around the d4 last week at Stratstones in Newcastle - and i have to say i'm not keen on the look of it. Yes the 10% more poke and efficiency sound good but it now looks like a RR Sport, it's certainly gone more urban - it'll probably go down a storm with the r n b bling crowd. Nope not for me - I'll wait to see the D5, it might have morphed back to a Land Rover and not think it's a Range Rover anymore ! Wink

Post #5160865th Sep 2009 10:07 pm
Landylad

PaulP wrote:
Landylad wrote:

Strange......my D3 has never handled like a bus..... Confused

Still....I suppose that's why the D3 didn't win many awards....you know....what with it being so crap and all that Rolling Eyes

Wink

For go anywhere capabilities and all that, for sure - it's the dogs cahoonas. But in terms of getting round a corner better than an X5, a Q7, a Tourag.... it's comparable to a No32 bus in my opinion.
The turn in is ok, pretty direct but the 2nd part of the corner is generally quite scary.... a severe lack of follow through. My one just tends to wash out of corners.

OK, I'm used to racing karts and driving superbikes... but in no way am I comparing the D3 to any of these. I feel that in the D4, the improvement in the handling is night and day. Firm, responsive and very reassuring. All the things the D3 are not.

Then again, if driving a Massey Ferguson is what you're used to, then the D3 would feel like a 911 in comparison (not suggesting you drive a tractor like Paul Wink )
 If in doot, flat oot!! 

Last edited by Landylad on 5th Sep 2009 10:13 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5160895th Sep 2009 10:08 pm
Landylad

madeinengland wrote:
I had a quick look around the d4 last week at Stratstones in Newcastle - and i have to say i'm not keen on the look of it. Yes the 10% more poke and efficiency sound good but it now looks like a RR Sport, it's certainly gone more urban - it'll probably go down a storm with the r n b bling crowd. Nope not for me - I'll wait to see the D5, it might have morphed back to a Land Rover and not think it's a Range Rover anymore ! Wink

Strange how you think it looks like a RRS... from the rear and side, it's a D3 in every sense. If it weren't for the grill and lights, you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference externally.

On the inside, it's been given a make over.... one more befitting of a car of it's price tag in my opinion. Still very D3 like - just more Waitrose than Asda Whistle

Have you driven it yet madeinengland?
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #5160935th Sep 2009 10:12 pm
SN

Landylad - not disagreeing with what you're saying (can't really as I ain't tried a D4) but I did notice a huge difference between a 3 year old D3 and 1 year old D3 (old one versus new one) for the two days I had both

Just suggesting that D3's (and other cars) go 'slack' after a few years and part of the 'improvement' you feel is that and that alone
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #5160945th Sep 2009 10:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
madeinengland

I haven't driven one yet as I was at Stratstones and if id been offered a test drive they would probably offer me a mini metro to drive instead and take 3 weeks to find the keys. Yes the front and back are styled as a 17 year old would prefer. Dont know if have seen the new blinged up rear lights, they look like the ones that little urchins put on their corsa's. And if i'm not mistaken the bumpers have lost some weight so the profile is also altered, rendering it not as boxy - how i like it. If you want a RR then buy one, unless you want 7 seats.

Post #5160995th Sep 2009 10:27 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Landylad wrote:

in terms of getting round a corner better than an X5, a Q7, a Tourag.... it's comparable to a No32 bus in my opinion.

I wonder why you actually have one ....it's quite clear you don't appreciate the vehicle if you are comparing it to those only built for tarmac work. I suggest you sell up now...before you start sounding like LondonLad Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5161025th Sep 2009 10:38 pm
madeinengland

Landylad wrote:

On the inside, it's been given a make over.... one more befitting of a car of it's price tag in my opinion. Still very D3 like - just more Waitrose than Asda Whistle

I've never taken the time to see if Asda has more shelves than Asda ? I like the one in front of the Sat Nav screen, always found it handy. I did like the clock on the dash, real class - like in a Maserati ! Rolling with laughter

Post #5161135th Sep 2009 10:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >