Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

discovery d3 clyinder head removal failed camshaft and pulle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
powernut

United Kingdom 

?[/quote]
how do I tempory blank a injector , u mean add a blank in the injector pipe, as I carnt simpley unplug a injector as ecu send a default pressure of 1000 (or in some readers 999)
injectors were tested for spray nozzels , leak off tests, unless the nozzle test included something else im unsure tbh , as I did see it star with a slow pulse spray then machince went thre a stage of fast pulseing more and less diesel injecting, then injecting while leak of test was done to measure each injector

Post #117236214th Oct 2013 9:43 pm
tomtom86

I Mean temporarily blank off the egr valves Thumbs Up
As for the injectors personally I would spill testbthem when on the car and then go from there but I think no3 and no5 are the ones I would replace first

Post #117237914th Oct 2013 10:15 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I posted this on borg247's thread Thumbs Up

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Be aware of having the injectors tested. I had a set of 6 sent away for testing once.

Issues with the car were smoking, and starting, and cutting out straight away. Injector compensations were all over the place, as well as some injector restricted codes.
They were all removed, and sent away. They all flowed correctly, and all within 0.002mm of each other, and all with a good spray pattern. The company testing them said they were all perfect...

The symptoms were relayed to them, who retested, again, all were fine, but they stripped the injector down, and found the needles were all badly worn.

Net result was 6 new injectors, but these cured all the above issues.

Be aware, that once new injectors are fitted, you need to drive the car for around 30 miles or so, to allow the PCM to re-learn its adaptions Thumbs Up

Just because the injectors are flowing OK, does not mean they are OK
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #117244215th Oct 2013 6:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
powernut

United Kingdom 

Bloody hell .many thanks for the post ...just shows sometimes when u think testing is for the best it isnt..
But as youve said ive not personaly refitted this tbh .but i do temember as the injector was plugged before testing it did some type of electronic calibration testing ..like i say formor owner said it ran well .
But with missing and amount of smoke do i risk refitting and go for a steady 30mile run as the battery was unplugged and flat for over 2 weeks .or fiit new ones around a 1000 hope it cures fault any further advise would be great .asyou know ur stuff on these engines .ps im also seeing a egr fault low sensor c?

Post #117245915th Oct 2013 8:02 am
Disco_Mikey

If it were my car, I would replace the injectors 1 at a time, until it started and run ok.

If you have an EGR fault, blank them or replace them
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #117250915th Oct 2013 10:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
powernut

United Kingdom 

Good point mike...ps will it do any damage fitting one new one at a time ie if ecu has to adjust that injector .then say i addanother with the other one that has been adjusted ( hope u roughly understand what i mean)

Post #117266715th Oct 2013 5:23 pm
Disco_Mikey

If the injectors are that bad, then the fault/high readings will almost instantly move to another cylinder
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #117267415th Oct 2013 5:52 pm
powernut

United Kingdom 

that's my question answered mike , many thanks , ive decided to order 3 to try first , if problem persist then its another 3 ,,, had quotes of a 1000 for 6 brand new ones is this reasonable , as personaly I don't wont to risk second hand ones , specaily not knwing any history or how long these may last ,, Winko I pluged , s

ps mike little of the subject as my air suspension wont rise, plugging fault reader in (didn't know it has this function , ive tested rear system is fine and compressors are working great , the fault is front air not raiseing , I think its a main hose green pipe , but runs behind some caseing? not removed it yet as it runs full lengh of vechical , tried squirting with soapy water were I think I an here it , but no joy finding yet its one of those noises u can hear it but pin pointing a another issuise ..

Post #117283615th Oct 2013 9:54 pm
Disco_Mikey

2nd hand ones will be hit and miss, and there is no way of knowing they are good ones or not. Recon injectors are around £220 + VAT each, IIRC Thumbs Up

Quite possibly an air leak, the pipework runs from the centre valve block, down the N/S of the car, under the radiator to the front valve block on the O/S of the car. If neither front side is going up, then it is likely that pipe has been damaged, or a faulty valve block
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #117292116th Oct 2013 6:38 am
powernut

United Kingdom 

bought 3 new ones 155 plus vat each ,, ill keep post updated fingers crossed

Post #117330216th Oct 2013 8:15 pm
tomtom86

Any news?

Post #117812527th Oct 2013 8:17 am
powernut

United Kingdom 

Thanks for reply issuise is worse .but why i carnt understand i bought 3 new injectors not recon one s .after fitting them i made sure battery was charged as it was flat .following day started engine and was very missy i thought ill leave it idioling incase of possible traped air .the engine got worse unitelit cut out.
I then checked the bleed screw on fuel pipe to find nice flowing diesal and pump priming noair went to try start it.and it cranks like it trying to start theres faint black smoke but wont fire ?
Plugged fault code reader in no faults showing on ecu .but when i went to live data .its not showing any injector data (meaning usely on cranking i see injector graph but all 6are stuck showing 999 .which this figure only showed when engine was running over a 1000rpm when im told injector calibration maxs out .so looks like ill have to book it in .as ive not a clue whats wrong[/code]

Post #119348726th Nov 2013 10:03 pm
powernut

United Kingdom 

Any help advise guys ?

Post #119396527th Nov 2013 8:01 pm
py

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

hi how did you get the left cylinder head off with the fuel pump pulley etc cheers

Post #189297822nd Dec 2017 1:19 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Info here

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/disco-3-woes-help-d-154075-45.html

Pete K wrote:
When removing the left head, body on, you will find you need to cut away some of the rear belt cover, to allow access to the 2 rear bolts holding the cam down.

You can use a soldering iron to melt the area, and then once the cover is off, tidy it up.

The cover has 2 bolts which need removing. One is an awful long thread with poor access.

The cam and plastic cover can then be removed as one. Rolling with laughter

Order some new glowplugs. Hammer them out from the reverse.

The head has 2 dowels. So lift it up first, and then move it towards the center of the engine.

A scaffold tube is handy to undo the head bolts

Post #189307122nd Dec 2017 12:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >