Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D4 HSE Sold - The trade bids and Sales process
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
addicted to nurburgring

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
D4 HSE Sold - The trade bids and Sales process

It was sad to see our D4 driven away by it's new owner today. I bought it new in April 2010 to replace our 4 year old D3. As before, I am happy to share the numbers and selling process which may help others.

I usually sell my cars privately as 1, They are kept in exceptional condition and in my view, are too good to sell to a dealer who tars my car with the same brush as any other similar Spec/age/mileage car and I would rather a similar minded private purchaser receives the benefit. 2, I retain more money.

With the above in mind, I advertised on here and Pistonheads and after receiving a bid from my LR dealer of 29K, I set a price of 32,500 (retail approx 34-35K). I received many calls from dealers and their bids ranged from 27.5 - 29K.

Advert:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic100766.html

A dealer by the name of North Staffs Cars (They buy premium cars and sell to the trade) contacted me via my PH Ad and bid 30,750 - 31,000. As I had only 1 private inquiry, I called him back and discussed the condition and he agreed to stand on his bid of 31K as he buys on condition rather than what the book says (2k more than LR dealers). I accepted and the transaction was painless. Driver arrived today, checked my car over, money was transferred, my bank confirmed cleared funds and he drove the car away. They also agreed for me to cash in the RFL and keep all accessories, most of which have sold.

I was prepared to accept 32K in a private sale and therefore, taking everything into account, selling to a dealer has cost me approx 250 quid more than I would have achieved privately.

I paid 47,250 for the car new so it has retained approx 65% of it's value over a 3.5 year period and 31,500 miles.
 Current:
2014 RRS 3.0 HSE
Porsche 997 GT3
BMW 118d SE
Past:
D4 HSE 3.0 TDV6 Auto
D3 HSE 2.7 TDV6 Auto 

Post #11656221st Oct 2013 4:25 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

I don't know about anyone else, but I found your figures really interesting Thumbs Up
 Disco3 is now gone but not forgotten. Waiting for Disco6 with full aluminium construction weight reduction and hybrid engine...  
Post #11656491st Oct 2013 5:19 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

What is scary is that nobody seemed to want to buy one privately as in effect it's gone to a dealer, why would this be, are cars advertised on here selling, seem to be a few about?

Post #11656601st Oct 2013 5:33 pm
sacimiddx

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Discotres - it's usually about the finance (or lack of it) that forces many to the dealer network
 Illegitimi Non Carborundum  
Post #11656731st Oct 2013 5:58 pm
addicted to nurburgring

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I sold my Disco 3 privately to a member on PH, he is still enjoying the car.

From my experience, it normally take 4-5 weeks to find a private buyer however, I do believe they are getting fewer and far between for cars of this value. Plus, I am very busy and have run out of time to deal with the time wasters and part time traders from Vest Lunden who try to convince you your car is worth 5k less than the other trade bids.

There are more and more stories in the media about scams and most people have received an email or call to this effect. This will put a lot of people off. Further, many people will have a trade-in and as another contributor mentioned, most cars are financed and it is harder to get finance on a private car purchase.

Finally, I do believe people are getting lazier and are not willing to put the leg work in to obtain a better deal for themselves. They are happy to pay over the odds at a dealer whilst accepting below book price for their trade in. My dealer told me he had just paid 28,500 for a D4 HSE that was the same age and colour as mine with similar miles and spec. If that person had got off their backside and put some work in, they could have achieved 1.5-2K more.
 Current:
2014 RRS 3.0 HSE
Porsche 997 GT3
BMW 118d SE
Past:
D4 HSE 3.0 TDV6 Auto
D3 HSE 2.7 TDV6 Auto 

Post #11656931st Oct 2013 6:40 pm
YT

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Really interesting and totally transparent. Thanks for you honesty. Sounds like the Disco has held on to a real good chunk of its money and I have to agree that sometimes selling to the trade is a no brainer. When I sold my SD4 Auto Evoque Prestige 5 door just over 12 months ago I decided that £35,500 was the number to make it sell quickly. Put in on the BabyRR forum at £35,995 with a full set of virtually new 18" winters and then went to the VW dealer, where I'd just had accepted a really cheeky bid on a VW Touareg. To my surprise they offered me £35K without the wheels and I took the tax back by agreement. The wheels and winters sold for £800, so by the time I'd cashed in the tax disc I was actually up on the deal!

It was made even sweeter when I got my money back on the treg last month after twelve months of motoring.
 All that I Pay my Psychiatrist is the price of Feed and Hay.....and he listens to me All Day
Gone 2013 Hse Lux
Gone 2013 FFRR AB
Gone 2014 FFRR SE
Current 2015 FFRR SE 

Post #11677035th Oct 2013 5:23 pm
Reginald Molehusband

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Good info, thanks guys. Thumbs Up
 2016 D4 Landmark SDV6 (Euro6), Zanzibar (late run D4)
2009 D4 HSE TDV6, Bali blue (first run D4)
2007 RRS TDV8 HSE, some blue

http://www.lothian4x4response.org 

Post #117245115th Oct 2013 7:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >