DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Removing glow plugs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Removing glow plugs

Hi All
Has anyone successfully removed glow plugs on a 2005 D3 without them snapping and if so how did you remove them.
Is the new vibro gun any good for removing them and if so does it remove them without breakage and has anyone got one I can borrow
Thanks

Post #119163322nd Nov 2013 11:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Had a shot of the vibro gun on a D3 a few weeks back. If that won't take them out, then they are going to break...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #119163422nd Nov 2013 11:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
woody32
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 LR3 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

I'm in the middle of doing mine with a vib gun from advanced factors Thumbs Up i spent a good hour or more on the first one and managed to get it undone but had to make a puller to get it out 2nd one come out in 30 seconds Rolling Eyes then spent 2 hours on the next with the vib gun and 1/4 ratchet but snapped,next got impatient with the vib gun spent about 10 mins cranking the gun up more and more till it snapped the plug just playing with the gun really to see how far it would go just in case i was being a bit shy with it,and the others were solid and just know there going to snapped so i have purchased a kit to drill and remove broken glow plugs and i'm hoping to do it this weekend if it works and to be honest it looks a good bit of kit i cant see why it shouldn't i will be a very happy man cause you all know whats involved if it goes tits up Thumbs Up

Its worth noting that if the glow plug snaps normally at the top of the threads its fine to leave it ,it wont hurt and cant go anywhere,i even chopped one up trying to get the tip to break off but no chance so basically there's no way it can drop in the engine,get sucked in and all the other scare mongering things you here even if you drill the threaded part out so there's nothing holding it in the only way it can go is out.
If anyone knows different please correct me as this is just what conclusion i have come to on my findings Thumbs Up

I will post my out come hopefully Sunday possibly with a video Thumbs Up
 Wanted D4s non runners pm for competitive price.
IID Pro MV License - D3/4 RRS - Enabling, Updates,Transmission flushing.
Mobile or workshop,PM for details.

Post #119166223rd Nov 2013 12:06 am
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Glow plugs

Hi woody
did you use any heat or releasing agent or oil when you were doing it

Cheers

Post #119166523rd Nov 2013 12:10 am
Disco_Mikey

What drill set did you buy? Sounds like it may be a wise investment Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #119166723rd Nov 2013 12:22 am
woody32
Site Sponsor 

Hi Mike yes the first was with a hot engine ie a good run 20 miles down the motorway obviously it had cooed by the time I got on to the rest of them I used loads of penetrating oil/spray the good thing I found with the vib gun was it loosened up the threads to allow the spray in but as DM says if they aren't coming out then it's game over I spent a good 2 hours or more on 1 plug determined that it won't snap back and fourth and in all that time it only move about a 1/4 of a turn if that then snapped Twisted Evil

Post #119167023rd Nov 2013 12:25 am
woody32
Site Sponsor 

Disco_Mikey wrote:
What drill set did you buy? Sounds like it may be a wise investment Thumbs Up

Sealey set can't remember the part number but will post it if all goes well Thumbs Up

Post #119167223rd Nov 2013 12:27 am
H16UUP

United Kingdom 

I'm hoping that adding two stroke oil to each tank of diesel will make this a simple job when time comes to do mine.

It's carbon deposits that cause the problem apparently.

Post #119167623rd Nov 2013 12:52 am
woody32
Site Sponsor 

That's the rumor but I'm not so sure I got 2 plugs out both identical in condition no build up carbon my thinking is when the plug fails the tip swells plus when I put a new plug in I didn't touch the threads ie clean them or inside the hole and it drop right in and done up with my fingers so 1, it couldn't of been clogged with carbon 2, the threads couldn't of been corroded Confused

This is a video of the tool I've got.

&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Post #119167823rd Nov 2013 1:09 am
H16UUP

United Kingdom 

Yep, interesting debate. Useful link here on glow plug removal:

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878-810.html

Post #119172523rd Nov 2013 10:00 am
Disco_Mikey

In theory, 2so can only be a good thing for carbon build up.

However, to through a spanner in the works, I have done 2 sets of glow plugs, both on which all plugs came out no bother at all, and I know for a fact, that these cars have not been run on 2so.

On the other hand, I have had some cars COOKING hot, after a very long, labouring climb up a steep hill, more than hot enough to be burning any carbon off anything, and they still didn't come out...

Seems to be down to sheer (no pun intended) luck if they will come out or not...
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #119172823rd Nov 2013 10:13 am
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

One of our local garages has bought an extraction set from Germany (about £2k I think) he now says that it is quicker to get them out if they snap off rather than spend time being gentle with them.

However....Because of the cost of the kit he charges £100 per glow plug that does snap.

I have 4 new ones in and two snapped off ones, did this some months back, starts fine. Just need to replace my duff FBH with one from Simoniz for that extra peace of mind (Have a BAS remote, it did work well)

Until BAS said stop using it, I was using 2SO, didn't help my carbon build up.
 Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2774
Order Parts Online at www.advancedfactors.co.uk 

Post #119173023rd Nov 2013 10:23 am
Disco_Mikey

Would be interested to hear Pete's thought on why not to use 2so...
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #119173123rd Nov 2013 10:25 am
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

It followed my conversation about additional black smoke since he worked his magic on my Map. The words were something along the lines of.....My Maps are not designed for cheap supermarket fuel and two stroke.

I did as I was told!
 Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2774
Order Parts Online at www.advancedfactors.co.uk 

Post #119173223rd Nov 2013 10:29 am
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

From the calls I gat about FBH I have found that most that get gungy are using 2soil in their main fuel tanks, It can only be contributing to the gunge and I suspect no matter how carefull people are with the measurements of putting it in its patrtly to blame.

I also feel that (and I know it seem to work for some so dont shoot me) If it was needed for the car to run correctly LR when they spent their 8 million on developement of the calibration they would have added a storage tank to put it in like they do with AddBlue and the likes. Just my personal opinion.

Pete

Post #119173323rd Nov 2013 10:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >