Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Removing glow plugs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I agree about the cheap fuel part.

However, on every diesel car I have ever run 2SO in, the amount of smoke has visibly reduced after 2-300 miles or so. Less smoke, means less unburnt diesel, which in turn means less carbon build up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #119173423rd Nov 2013 10:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It is each to their own and each get different results I feel.

2s oil is generally added to diesel fuel as a lubricity additive. It does add lubricity but not as much as many other sold additives on the market do for simlar money when got in the correct ammounts and added correctly.

If lubricity is needed due to super low sulfur fuel being used then the oil type and grade that is in the enigne its self is good eniough to add something back. That said no oils are good for DPF cars.

Pete

Post #119174523rd Nov 2013 10:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

bellautos wrote:
It is each to their own and each get different results I feel.

If lubricity is needed due to super low sulfur fuel being used then the oil type and grade that is in the enigne its self is good eniough to add something back. That said no oils are good for DPF cars.

Pete

Agree with the 1st statement Thumbs Up

However, what does the engine oil have to do with adding lubrication to the fuel system?
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #119174623rd Nov 2013 11:00 am
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I didnt originally want a debate Smile it was just my opinion lol as I said each have their own.

where does the fuel go, what does it do, do you think it also gets in or mixes with the eninge oil in thew cylinder albiet very slightly as the piston goes up and down, and if so would it not be better to use the same type of oil as a lubricant if needed to lubricate instead on a 2soil which is a different grade to the main engine oil ?

I know it makes some cars sound quiter, I also know its made some cars run slightly better from what they was, the point Im making is if LR thought it was a good idea that would have added a storage tank for it like on trucks, mopeds etc etc. surley their is a reason why they havent is all im saying.

But as above its eash to their own, and each their own finding on their cars. I have personally found as said some causes of FBH failures are to what I personally beleive is 2soil either used or used incorrectly

Pete

Post #119175823rd Nov 2013 11:15 am
Disco_Mikey

Didn't want a debate either, just wanted your thoughts, then didn't understand the reasoning behind them Thumbs Up

The 2SO mixes with the diesel in the tank, goes through the LPFP, HPFP and injectors, where the lubricity is most needed. Then gets injected into the cylinder, and burnt off
There will be very slight oil vapour within the cylinder, but this oil vapour does not enter into the fuel system, and does not lubricate the HPFP, or injector nozzles Thumbs Up

My understanding of the tanks on trucks is to store Adblue, which is needed to bring emissions on trucks down to EU6 levels

Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #119177023rd Nov 2013 11:43 am
gsr 341

Sorry to deviate from the original topic , Pete , what do you recommend to your customers that are experiencing FBI issues and using 2so ?
I guess it causes issues in the FBh because it's not atomised or under high pressure and doesn't burn so hot or clean , burning the fuel off and leaving the oil behind ?

Post #119192723rd Nov 2013 8:18 pm
woody32
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 LR3 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Well i had a go today at removing my broken glow plugs with a sealey glow plug removal kit after drilling and tapping the plug i wasnt sure which way this final part was going to go so thought i would film it for all you lot to have a Laughing and Oh F Censored K

To be continued
 Wanted D4s non runners pm for competitive price.
IID Pro MV License - D3/4 RRS - Enabling, Updates,Transmission flushing.
Mobile or workshop,PM for details.

Post #119195423rd Nov 2013 9:07 pm
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

To add my two penneth worth to the carbon debate!

I have had numerous diesels both cars and vans and due to my occupation they've been mega milers.

To that end I have always driven them hard through the revs, preferably uphill, several times a week.

I wait till the temp is up to operating levels, having previously checked the oil level, then given them the hammer.

Also my local is very much a farmers pub and every time they get a new diesel plant they run it in and then hammer the life out of it to open it up and clear the crap.

I should note I have always had manual gearboxes.

My D3 MY05 S engine does not show even a waft of smoke on acceleration at 115k.

Dave
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #119196923rd Nov 2013 9:53 pm
H16UUP

United Kingdom 

Comment here re FBH and 2sO

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878-120.html

Post #119201424th Nov 2013 12:34 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Just a thought. If you are lucky enough to get the glow plugs out then you will not see any carbon build up on the end threads for two reasons, firstly it was not there in the first place due to the car either been driven like a scoulded cat from day one or due to the possible use of 2so or because as you have wound the glow plug out the carbon has been dislodged inside the head area.
I recently saw a picture on another forum with the same issue and the same sort of comments, the thread went on and on for weeks until someone took the head of the car after snapping a glow plug, the arae around the tip of the glow glug was covered in a carbon build up and the conclusion was this carbon was causing the issue and the resulted glow plug break.
Has anyone got any pictures of the head off for replacment glow plugs after they have snapped on the TDV6 so we an see for ourselves what the build up is like.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #119203824th Nov 2013 8:33 am
H16UUP

United Kingdom 

What do you all think about this?

Post #119204324th Nov 2013 9:21 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Aren't the D3 glow plugs recessed too far into the head for this?

Post #119204824th Nov 2013 9:46 am
woody32
Site Sponsor 

So if you watched the video above then will probably relies that the plug snapped again when extracting it Evil or Very Mad you can here in the video how tight it is and I can feel it's getting tighter but I'm committed at this stage and keep going till it snaps my heart sunk and thought it was game over ie body off heads off time but me being me I wasn't going to give in that easy,at this stage I'm going to mention how impressed I was with the sealey kit very very accurate and after inspecting the glow plug hole in the head I could see I was bang on centre of the plug and the glow plug hole in the head is just an 8mm threaded hole all the way down to the tip of the plug,so no swarf can go anywhere so drilled deeper into the plug and had another go but the same thing happened again moved a bit then snapped it done this 3 times until eventually victory was mine Laughing you can see in this picture how accurate the sealey kit is I will edit and upload pic I a min as it's not working on my phone.

There you go
This one with part of the kit screwed into the plug
Click image to enlarge

This one you can see each time it broke
Click image to enlarge

Here you can see how accurate the kit helps you drill and tap bear in mind that last attempt was deep down inside the head and it was still bang on.
Click image to enlarge

And finally my ass twitching can relax Laughing
Click image to enlarge

Last edited by woody32 on 24th Nov 2013 1:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #119205024th Nov 2013 9:56 am
woody32
Site Sponsor 

H16UUP wrote:
What do you all think about this?

The problem with that is that TDV6 plugs snap at the top of the tread leaving the plug still screwed tight in the head.

Post #119205224th Nov 2013 10:06 am
woody32
Site Sponsor 

Pics added Thumbs Up

Post #119209224th Nov 2013 1:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >