Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Removing glow plugs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Woody,

Very grateful for the pictures as gives us all a fair picture of how brave you can be whilst remaining safe. I've only used a kit like this once and suffered a breakage but after removing the rest we had another go with success. I think we would have given-up after a 2nd break but your pictures show that we would have given-up far too early!

As for your Sealey kit it looks very similar to the Beta kit we used. Not cheap, a bit complicated as to what bit to use next but it did work. Thankfully I did not have to test the access available on the rearmost cylinder as it was the front 2 that broke.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #119209524th Nov 2013 1:26 pm
woody32
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 LR3 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Hi Robbie yes pictures say a 1000 words Thumbs Up and hopefully it will encourage more peeps to have a go I wasn't sure what was under the threads of the glow plug I thought it would be a smooth hole slightly larger than the glow plug shaft down to the bottom where there would be a small tapered seat and thought once I had drilled the threads out there was no going back, but after getting deep inside I realised it was the same size and threaded all the way down meaning as long as I left a little bit I could of give up cut down an old plug and screwed it back in panic over until another day I have also come to the conclusion it's definitely carbon build up That causes the issues Thumbs Up

Robbie that kit used is the same as the beta one and yes can be confusing at times all plugs are easy to get to apart from the front right as the inlet tube is over the top of the plug so an angle drill is needed, to do the rear ones the plastic breather box needs to be removed which is a pain in the ass and today putting it back in I back my fuel pipe on the hpfp I had it unplugged but as I got the breather box back in so far I decided to refit it bad move so lesson learnt there I guess, I have only got 3 more to do but I'm a lot more confidant now I know what's going on in there and what I can get away with Thumbs Up

Edit
Would just like to add if anyone does try removing there plugs and they snap leave it attached by the electro as I found with the tool supplied you can twist the electro off mine broke off deep inside the plug meaning I didn't have to do step one of drill the center electro out as can been seen in this pic the drill bit is shorter than then electro part.

Click image to enlarge
 Wanted D4s non runners pm for competitive price.
IID Pro MV License - D3/4 RRS - Enabling, Updates,Transmission flushing.
Mobile or workshop,PM for details.

Post #119211524th Nov 2013 2:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Bow down showed real Balls there Woody Thumbs Up hats off, I'd have been bricking it! Very Happy

Post #119216824th Nov 2013 5:15 pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

Kris - Are you the new forum mobile glow plug remover now then?

Tool part numbers are here....

http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/05-glow-plug-removal-259-c.asp
 Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2774
Order Parts Online at www.advancedfactors.co.uk 

Post #119220924th Nov 2013 6:44 pm
Bev

Scotland 

Looks like I need to replace some glow plugs as well. Jumped in to the car to this morning and it's showing -2. Car took a good 5 minutes of cranking to start Rolling Eyes

Never had any starting issues before and this is the coldest morning thus far in terms of car ownership. On a plus side the FBH was running sweet as soon as it started.

Week when I say "I" need to replace them, it will be mikey who has the job of getting them unstuck Whistle Well beyond my capabilities...

Post #119222224th Nov 2013 7:18 pm
woody32
Site Sponsor 

5 mins of cranking I think you have other issues there,all 6 of my plugs were faulty last year but still started first time was just a bit lumpy and smoked for a bit Thumbs Up

Post #119222324th Nov 2013 7:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bev

Scotland 

Once it started it runs perfect so can only assume the low temperature caused it. It was a bit lumpy but only for a few seconds and once running it was perfect.

Best left to someone else to work out what's wrong with it then Whistle Mike? Whistle

Having read this thread I don't want nor need the job of removing the glow plugs Big Cry

Post #119222824th Nov 2013 7:34 pm
woody32
Site Sponsor 

Laughing Funny you should say that already had a member wanting it done but need a bit more practice on mine first Laughing and your be wanting your 2 done i guess when Geoff does your rear arms Wink Laughing

Steve is it possible to get spare parts for that kit do you know ie main drill bit,tap drill bit. Thumbs Up

Biffysun i was bricking it but its just one of them jobs that's got to be done,i went in with an open mind and the fact that i might be removing the body to take the heads off ,so going into the job with an attitude like that theres nothing to loose only to gain Very Happy

Post #119223024th Nov 2013 7:37 pm

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Was having a go on replacing my glowplugs this weekend. Had only one working plug remaining which does not help much in Swedish winter temperatures. I have a mains block heater, but sometimes a quick getaway is required.

The three plugs on left hand side all came out without any issues, but all three on right hand side seemed more or less stuck. I had bought the vibrating tool from Advanced Factors and after spending about one hour on each I managed to get two more plugs out. It was a constant back an forth with the tool on max setting and adding penetrating oil which eventually lead to success.
On the last one, I was not able to get more movement than about 30 degrees even after more than an hour, so decided to leave it for the time being. I'm sure that applying more force would have seen it break.

Thanks for all good advice in this thread and elsewhere on the forum Thumbs Up Now I have five working plugs instead of one, will await next cold period to evaluate what difference it makes.

Post #120893829th Dec 2013 8:10 pm
Baldrick

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I was speaking to a friend of mine that works for LR. Apparently some numpty at the engine assembly stage put thread lock on the glow plugs. Not sure when this stopped, but when I mentioned changing my glow plug he said leave them alone and told me early cars including my 07my were affected.

So not Carbon as previously suggested.

I will be leaving mine as is until it doesn't start at all....
 2007 MY Irish spec S+ TDV6  
Post #12119134th Jan 2014 10:28 pm
Robbie

Didn't see any thread-lock on the on the ones I have seen so far - the threads were clean. Didn't feel like the way thread-lock 'gives' either, but I have only done a few. Beru plug shear-loading is only 20 Nm.

Diagnostics for:

Post #12119164th Jan 2014 10:37 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Carbon build-up makes more sense than thread lock. Thumbs Up

That's what stops them coming out.

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #12119244th Jan 2014 10:46 pm
Robbie

The manufacturer's thoughts on the matter:

Quote:
In particular after baking (coking) between the glow rod and the cylinder head, the cylinder head bore is often soiled by residues from burning or dirt particles.

Their thoughts on removal:

Quote:
SHEAR TORQUE

Observe shear torque when disassembling glow plugs.

WHAT MUST I DO WHEN THE SHEAR TORQUE HAS BEEN REACHED?

Under no circumstances continue turning – the glow plug might otherwise break off. Instead, proceed according to the 3-point program warming up – slightly loosen – unscrew:

1. Warming up: Run engine until it is warm or use a separate cable to supply current to the functional glow plugs for 4-5 minutes – the glow plug will heat up and burn loose.

2. Slightly loosen: Apply a generous amount of rust solvent to the glow plug thread and leave to act for approx. 5 minutes.

3. Unscrew: Then try to unscrew it once again and carefully loosen the glow plug out of the cylinder head with a suitable tool. (Do not exceed the maximum loosening torque – see table above. Always stop before reaching the shear torque, if necessary try once again by heating up.)

Thumbs Up

Diagnostics for:

Post #12119324th Jan 2014 10:55 pm
woody32
Site Sponsor 

Round 2

Ok its been a while but have been waiting for the right time to finish these last 3 snapped glow plugs.
And to cut a long story short Woody 1 Disco 0 Mr. Green

This is the last new plug going in Thumbs Up

It was not easy and a lot of work but it's done and done properly,no dodgy threads no helicoils etc,if they didn't come out then the heads were coming off.

Just to recap the 3 left to do were left rear,right rear,right front.
So body off and n/s rocker cover off which in turn means timing belt cover off as well Rolling Eyes

There maybe a way Shocked it's a bit long winded but it worked on one of mine which was a bit of an experiment really.
When I first started this post and got the first 3 out I started on the 4 which was left rear but with the body on I couldn't get dead straight on it but took a chance,it was very tight and broke twice but on the second break I noticed it was drilled of centre so give up and thought I will try filling it up with plus gas let it soak in,top up cut a plug down to screw back in place and leave it until I get back to it and maybe the plus gas would work its way down and overtime the compression might push it out hence needing a cut down plug.
So I started on this plug first yesterday it was already drilled out and tapped from the first attempt ages ago,so I screwed in the puller rod and just pulled it out with my hand Shocked So this could be away if your in no rush so say at the end of winter drill them lub up and plug them then at the beginning of winter strip and hopefully pull them out and replace,it work for me Thumbs Up

Post #140986618th Jan 2015 4:15 pm
Robbie

Outstanding effort!

Bow down

Diagnostics for:

Post #140992418th Jan 2015 5:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>