Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

dpf regeneration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
colin6307

United Kingdom 
dpf regeneration

My DPF on regeneration puts out clouds of smoke, does anybody else have this problem?

Post #11957181st Dec 2013 10:16 am
DeeJay

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

Not noticed any to be honest just a change in exhaust note and a slight increase in fuel consumption according to the dash readout that is Wink

Post #11957651st Dec 2013 12:39 pm
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

No smoke, just a change in the exhaust sound and a hot smell outside the car if you stop before everything has cooled down again.
 MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price! - So good I bought another!
MY2012 D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - retired to a new home

Post #11957701st Dec 2013 12:50 pm
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Could be irrelevant, but on my FIAT 500, there is a lot of smoke at the start of the regeneration cycle. So could be normal on the D4 too.

Post #11958861st Dec 2013 6:12 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Like others said, no smoke, just change in exhaust note and hot smell.

Post #11958891st Dec 2013 6:14 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I read somewhere on here that there are 2 types of regeneration on the D4 .... could be the reason ?
 Peter  
Post #11958981st Dec 2013 6:20 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

You're thinking of Dr Who.

(although you could mean passive and active regeneration with active having 2 phases at 2 different temps…)
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Last edited by Robbie on 1st Dec 2013 6:25 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #11958991st Dec 2013 6:21 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Ah found the link

Quote:

Two processes are used to regenerate the DPF; passive and active.

Passive Regeneration

Passive regeneration requires no special engine management intervention and occurs during normal engine operation. The passive regeneration involves a slow conversion of the particulate matter deposited in the DPF into carbon dioxide. This process occurs when the DPF temperature exceeds 250°C (482°F) and is a continuous process when the vehicle is being driven at higher engine loads and speeds.

During passive regeneration, only a portion of the particulate matter is converted into carbon dioxide. This is because the chemical reaction, which utilises nitrogen dioxide, is slower than the rate of engine production of particulate matter and is effective from 250°C (482°F).

Above 580°C the conversion efficiency of the particulates into carbon dioxide rapidly increases. These temperatures are generally only be achieved using the active regeneration process.

Active Regeneration

Active regeneration starts when the particulate loading of the DPF reaches a threshold as monitored or determined by the DPF control software. The threshold calculation is based on driving style, distance travelled and back pressure signals from the differential pressure sensor.

Active regeneration generally occurs every 250 miles (400 km) although this is dependant on how the vehicle is driven. For example, if the vehicle is driven at low loads in urban traffic regularly, active regeneration will occur more often. This is due to the rapid build-up of particulates in the DPF than if the vehicle is driven at high speeds when passive regeneration will have occurred.

The DPF software incorporates a mileage trigger which is used as back-up for active regeneration. If active regeneration has not been initiated by a back pressure signal from the differential pressure sensor, regeneration is requested based on distance travelled.

Active regeneration of the DPF is commenced when the temperature of the DPF is increased to the combustion temperature of the particles. The DPF temperature is raised by increasing the exhaust gas temperature. This is achieved by introducing post-injection of fuel after the pilot and main fuel injections have occurred.

It is determined by the DPF software monitoring the signals from the two DPF temperature sensors to establish the temperature of the DPF. Depending on the DPF temperature, the DPF software requests the ECM (engine control module) to perform either one or two post-injections of fuel:

The first post-injection of fuel retards combustion inside the cylinder which increases the temperature of the exhaust gas.
The second post-injection of fuel is injected late in the power stroke cycle. The fuel partly combusts in the cylinder, but some unburnt fuel also passes into the exhaust where it creates an exothermic event within the catalytic converter, further increasing the temperature of the DPF.
The active regeneration process takes up to 20 minutes to complete. The first phase increases the DPF temperature to 500°C (932°F). The second phase further increases the DPF temperature to 600°C (1112°F) which is the optimum temperature for particle combustion. This temperature is then maintained for 15-20 minutes to ensure complete oxidation of the particles within the DPF. The oxidation process converts the carbon particles to carbon dioxide.

The active regeneration temperature of the DPF is closely monitored by the DPF software to maintain a target temperature of 600°C (1112°F) at the DPF inlet. The temperature control ensures that the temperatures do not exceed the operational limits of the turbocharger and the catalytic converter. The turbocharger inlet temperature must not exceed 830°C (1526°F) and the catalytic converter brick temperature must not exceed 800°C (1472°F) and the exit temperature must remain below 875°C (1382°F).

During the active regeneration process the following ECM controlled events occur:

The turbocharger is maintained in the fully open position. This minimizes heat transmission from the exhaust gas to the turbocharger and reduces the rate of exhaust gas flow allowing optimum heating of the DPF. If the driver demands an increase in engine torque, the turbocharger will respond by closing the vanes as necessary.
The throttle is closed as this assists in increasing the exhaust gas temperature and reduces the rate of exhaust gas flow which has the effect of reducing the time for the DPF to reach the optimum temperature.
The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve is closed. The use of EGR decreases the exhaust gas temperature and therefore prevents the optimum DPF temperature being achieved.
If, due to vehicle usage and/or driving style, the active regeneration process cannot take place or is unable to regenerate the DPF, the dealer can force regenerate the DPF. This is achieved by either driving the vehicle until the engine is at its normal operating temperature and then driving for a further 20 minutes at speeds of not less than 30 mph (48 km/h).

DPF Control

The DPF requires constant monitoring to ensure that it is operating at its optimum efficiency and does not become blocked. The ECM contains DPF software which controls the monitoring and operation of the DPF system and also monitors other vehicle data to determine regeneration periods and service intervals.

The DPF software can be divided into three separate control software modules; a DPF supervisor module, a DPF fuel management module and a DPF air management module.

These three modules are controlled by a fourth software module known as the DPF co-ordinator module. The co-ordinator module manages the operation of the other modules when an active regeneration is requested.
 Peter  
Post #11959011st Dec 2013 6:25 pm
colin6307

United Kingdom 
dpf regeneration

Well thanks for the reply folks, as far as i can see, some vehicles smoke.
My driving envolves regen, every approx 500/600 miles
My last regen was in Black wall Tunnel, fortunately at 0400 hours, good job little or no traffic
as it filled the tunnel with smoke

Post #11959271st Dec 2013 7:06 pm
samwilko

England 

Colin, did you ever get to the bottom of this?? I purchased a 2011 Disco 4 on Thursday and then on Sunday (50mph on the motorway), there was bloody clouds of smoke churning of of the exhaust. No loss of power etc and it scared the crap out of me. Someone suggested a DPF regen, but the smoke seems very excessive for that. Once I switched off and then re-started the car, the smoke was gone?!?

Post #14687675th May 2015 4:02 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I don't think a 2011 UK car would have a DPF.

Post #14687855th May 2015 4:36 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Was an option on MY10

Post #14687895th May 2015 4:43 pm
colin6307

United Kingdom 
DPF

I had a 2012 D4, smoked on regen
I have a 2014 D4 that smokes, i just live with it.
Been to the dealers, can't find anything wrong.
No lights, nothing on dash, just smokes like hell on regen.
I hope to go round the factory tour will ask this question.
Hope this makes sense
Cheers

Post #14687935th May 2015 4:49 pm
Washwipe

England 

Never noticed any smoke, just a throaty exhaust sound.
Seems to be you don't get two D4's the same.

Post #14688145th May 2015 5:24 pm
samwilko

England 

Thanks guys. Mine does have a DPF (checked the VIN). I checked the error codes (using a cheap reader though), nothing. No warning lights, no loss on performance just the smoke. I just spoke to the garage and they are calling back tomorrow so I might find out more then.

Post #14688175th May 2015 5:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >