DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Throttle delay
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

it's called progress Wink

Post #1460775th Apr 2007 10:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Duncster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Nice Wheels - Ken
 15 3.0 RRS HSE - Silver
05 2.7TDV6 S AUTO Silver - Retro-fitted Leather. 

Post #1460875th Apr 2007 11:08 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

DirtyDisco, mine is a MY06 TDV6 auto, and if I drive very conservatively around built-up areas I do tend to notice the throttle response 'lag' more. BUT, if I drive the car with more passion - 'Italian style' - then she seems more responsive and I don't get that dreaded feeling of "Have I made the right decision pulling into that line of traffic?" as the cars bear down on me.

I know your car is new and it will take a while before you drive her with more gusto so be ready for the lag at any intersection.

When I took a demonstrator for a test, I ventured onto a 100 kmh 6 lane highway and put my foot down and was very surprised by the delay. The salesman was surprised as well as he didn't know about the adaptive gearbox and hadn't experienced any delay with his driving style. (The D3 had only been just released on the Aussie market.)

Oh, and as mentioned in other posts, the MY07 has a much reduced lag over the older and pre-enhancement versions. I can not speak about any chip upgrade as I have not experienced that.

Also do a search on the forum for Sand Mode as the Terrain Response mapping is varied so that throttle response is livelier. But whatever you do, enjoy the fine machine you have.

HTH, Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #1460976th Apr 2007 12:27 am
Simong

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

In my 06 auto I can count to 3 secs sometimes before the car moves which when I forget puts me in some pretty dangerous situations!!

I've had LR's Regional Technical Manager road test the car, without me present who said he had and I quote, 'he thoroughly road tested your vehicle, but could not replicate the fault with your vehicle. Following his extensive investigation Mr ***** concludes that your vehicle is operating within Land Rover's specification and tolerances. I trust the above content has adequately outlined Land Rover's position on the matter.'

Now the road test took place in Nov 06 and letter from which I have quoted above was only received on 17th April 2007!!

On receipt, I phoned LR's customer care centre to discuss their response which I am clearly not satisfied with, which concluding in them saying that was the end of the matter as far as they were concerned as the car was performing within spec and tolerences. I asked what their spec and tolerence actually where so I could test against them myself but drew a blank. I then asked to escalate this and was told to contact the SMMT.

Next stage was a quick Google which threw up Terry Hill, Director of Customer Services ( the customer care centre wouldn't tell me this ) so I contact his office and left him a voicemail. One of his external affairs team contacted me to follow up, after a few days waiting for a response I was called back today and told that whilst they recognise there can be a delay undersome circumstances and situations my car was, yes you've guessed it- 'operating within spec and tolerences'. Again I asked for the values and drew a blank.

So, anyone got any ideas where or what I can do next in order for them to at least reduce the delay to something a bit safer?

Also, if anybody else is suffering this I urge you to get in touch with LR and complain.

Cheers
Simon

Post #1539902nd May 2007 9:02 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

DirtyDisco, when it went for the test drive do you know if LR service DID check the ECU for DTCs? If so, anything relevant to either "MAP sensor, fuel temp sensor, EGR valve, fuel rail pressure to turbo or VVT actuator." to quote 10forcash?
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #1540493rd May 2007 4:17 am
Raymond

My car 05reg has this lag. I,m puzzeld, if the 07 spec is just a remap why can't the dealers just remap the older cars and bring them up to spec ?

Post #1540983rd May 2007 10:52 am
Simong

Something to do with having to input the serial number before uploading.

Post #1541023rd May 2007 11:06 am
Simong

Contact Chris at Land Rover on 01926 649547 if you are experiencing a delay- the more people who complain the more chance we have of LR doing something about this.

Also, if anyone knows or can find out what the spec and tolerences actually are then I would be very grateful.

Post #1541033rd May 2007 11:09 am
Raymond

why should the input of a serial no. stop a remap, unless they deliberatly want to prevent older cars being upgraded which seems stupid when it would cure a known fault.

Post #1541053rd May 2007 11:18 am
Simong

Raymond- give Chris a call at LR and ask him to look into it and explain why we can't have an 07 map.

Post #1541133rd May 2007 12:17 pm
C6REW

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I understand that this delay has been seen by you guys and found to be a problem for some time, with, it seems little understanding from LR!

When I borrowed the D3 that made me change from my TD5 and drove it for 1500 miles, it went from pulling away no problem to having a delay by the time I handed it back and I mentioned it to the service department.

When I picked my D3 up - 06 - it also drove well with no delay, but after some 1000 miles or so it now has a delay.

As Leigh has mentioned, I had already decided that the cause of this was due to the adaptive gearbox and the way I drive. So it suprised me to see that others suffer the same problem.

It has ocurred to me that if it where possible to get the memory side of the adaptive gearbox turned off this may stop the fault re-ocurring.

Anyone any idea if this is possible?

Regards

Chris

Post #1546656th May 2007 10:07 am
DirtyDisco

2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Interesting to read all of the posts that have followed my own. It seems that I am not alone. I have done 5000 miles in the five weeks that I have owned my D3 and have not noticed any great difference in the delay over that period. I am driving it a good bit harder than I was as I see the average consumption is down. Bearing in mind that I have an 07 model I don't think an 07 remap would be the silver bullet for older vehicles. I only really notice the problem when it matters most, ie joining a stream of moving traffic where timing is critical. I quite regularly nail the throttle realise nothing significant is going to happen and then take my foot off without any movement at all. When I do keep my foot planted the innitial acceleration is quite subtle and then after three or four yards the full torque delivery starts. Is this the same for other vehicles?
 Serial Depreciation Victim

07 D3 TDV6 HSE. Side Steps. Privacy. TV. Stornoway + Alpaca. 

Post #1547286th May 2007 8:38 pm
Simong

Quote:
I quite regularly nail the throttle realise nothing significant is going to happen and then take my foot off without any movement at all.

Sounds familiar!

Post #1554449th May 2007 10:54 am
tlt

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
delay

I think it takes a while for thecomputer to learn your driving style. If it is totally screwed up you can ask the dealer to reset the computer. Then drive normally within the break in reccomxations. Pay particular attention to make smooth, gadual and complete stops the first couple of days. This will help..... let us know how it goes.

Post #1557519th May 2007 9:51 pm
barryp

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I thought that the delay was due to turbo lag.

From idle it takes a couple of seconds for the turbo to "spool up". I also have an X5 turbo deisel. The X5 also has a lag but not as much as the D3.

A couple of technical differences are that I understand that the X5 has a variable inlet nozzle on the turbo which changes its geometry dependant on the airflow allowing a quicker increase in turbo speed.

Another issue is that as I understand it the D3 deisel is derived from the Jaguar engine however on the Jaguar they use two smaller turbos one on each exhaust bank. When modified for the D3 it uses one bigger turbo unit on the left side of the engine with the exhaust from the right bank travelling around behind the engine before entering the turbo unit. To me the physics of accelerating the single larger turbo must take more time than the two smaller units in the Jaguar application.

I have found with my D3 that easing the throttle open gently initially then a smooth and progreesive opening appears to give a more reliable and rapid takeoff. If I open the throttle wide on mine it definately hesitates untill the turbo boost pressure builds.

Just a few thoughts. Very Happy
 2017 Range Rover Sport TDV6 L494 Fuji White
2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 L320 Fuji White Loved but GONE
2010 TRAKKA Motorhome Fiat Ducato GONE (What a dud, don't buy one)
2006 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Automatic Chawton White/Ebony. Loved but GONE
2006 BMW X5 diesel White/Charcoal, Bought new, gone after 12 years! Excellent vehicle.
Ex Member Range Rover Club NSW 

Post #15588010th May 2007 11:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >