Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

LED trailer set up...close but not quiet there
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jaws_172

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 3
LED trailer set up...close but not quiet there

So after searching high and low I've had an attempt at getting an LED trailer working with the Disco. To start with I can not modify the trailer in anyway...at present at least. So that eliminated some choices.
I have chosen to use a 7way by pass relay, this is attached to the indicators and perm power in the n/s/r compartment.

The good news is the trailer now works perfectly from an external perspective.
The bad is I've no 'lost' my trailer as far as the car is concerned, No in-dash trailer light flash with indicators for example.

This is now where I'm stuck. I know I need to add load, I think about 2volts has been quoted in some areas, but I don't know where to add this on the car so it doesn't screw with anything. Thoughts are to add some load before the relay but then I'm not sure if the car will think there's a trailer always attached as the relay switches even when the trailer is not attached.

I've included some pics, it's a little messy as I'm not tidying it away until I've sorted it, and I've made it 'plug and play' of sorts so if I can't fix it, for now I can return it to original state.

Unit used:

Unit installed:

Original wiring setup:

Anyone got a good idea?

Post #121767314th Jan 2014 11:47 pm
Tufty

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

As this wiring is permanently on the car then there is no way of 'telling' the disco if there is a trailer fitted. As you say you can't attack the trailer I suggest you buy a male and female 7n socket and a waterproof box and make a unit to plug in between the trailer and disco socket (assuming you don't run 13 pin) in this way you can return the trailer un modded, and you are plugging the unit to 'fool' the disco into the back only when you use the trailer. Then you can add the extra load resistors in tell it there's a trailer there...

Post #121768615th Jan 2014 12:16 am
jaws_172

Thanks Tufty, saw Nashers creation last night...always the way after you've done something. Excellent idea on the leads. Looks like a challenge for the weekend if the little one doesn't want too much attention that is Rolling Eyes

Post #121771315th Jan 2014 8:04 am
Tufty

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You would either need to loose the bypass relay and use 2 standard relays a la Nasher or put the bypass relay in the box and feed the perm live input from the indicator lives via diodes as you have effectively ended the indicator circuits in the boot with the relay you have currently fitted. If you move the bypass relay put the dummy load resistors before the relay/diodes.

Post #121777415th Jan 2014 10:59 am
jaws_172

Thanks for the advice Smile I've ordered a couple of resistors today along with a plug and socket. I'm thinking it might be easier to pop out and get some standard 4pin relays and use them instead of the relay I currently have set up as it avoids the need for the perm live and should fit better into the junction box.

Post #121782415th Jan 2014 1:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >