Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Faultmate reprogramming help... HELP!!! My BCU/CJB is dead!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
oceandriven

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Faultmate reprogramming help... HELP!!! My BCU/CJB is dead!!

Help!!

I currently have a very heavy and very expensive paperweight formally my MY06 Disco 3 TDV6 SE.... sad.gif

I attempted a Body Control Unit / Central Junction Box update last night with my MSV2 Extreme. All went according to plan and instructions till the write.

The write got as far as about 27% and then died with a VSE 024 ECU Error message.
Did a hard reset, tried again, got as far as 33%. hmmm!
Another hard reset, got as far as 5%.

That was the last time I was successfully able to talk to the ECU.
Since that point, I can read settings from the ECU and all fields with the exception of the Module code show blank. This is understandable as the software is incomplete.
However, each time I try a write, I get a "Communication Error, The vehicle system ECU has stopped communicating with faultmate during programming."
This message is received about 5 seconds after the message "ECU Awake" is shown on VE during the write procedure.

I've tried multiple hard resets, charged battery for 4 hours, retried, charged battery overnight and connected inline second battery (both batteries less than a month old and in good condition), same problem. Left the vehicle overnight with + cable connected to - cable (that's a pretty decent hard reset) and STILL same problem.

Is there any way to kick the CJB's ass into gear or wakeup or am I in for a new CJB?

If I'm in for a new CJB, can I use a 2nd hand one and if so, what must I look out for when hunting for one... year, model, etc.?

Pleeeeeeeeeease help!!!
Thanks in advance

Post #121830716th Jan 2014 8:32 am
Apache

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hello

Have you started a thread in the Faultmate Owners forum?

They were truly excellent when I turned my Disco into a 3 tonne garden ornament one night............

Whistle

Post #121834816th Jan 2014 10:31 am
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

This needs to be done with a charger/maintainer attached that is capable of pushing out 25 amps! The D3 uses an unbelievable amount of power when flashing.

Stu.

Post #121838316th Jan 2014 11:30 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Had exactly the same when programming a CJB with the Faultmate Sad

Luckily, I was sent CJB recovery instructions from another site sponsor, who has been extremely helpful in trying to rectify the situation.

Send me a PM this evening, if they have not responded, and ill forward them on to you Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #121838416th Jan 2014 11:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Oswiperus wrote:
This needs to be done with a charger/maintainer attached that is capable of pushing out 25 amps! The D3 uses an unbelievable amount of power when flashing.

Stu.

Even attached to a 25A CTEK, the FM couldn't recover the BCM...
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #121838616th Jan 2014 11:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

You need to post this on the BBS site to get this sorted, did you have a power supply on the car when you went to flash the BCM..?.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #121838716th Jan 2014 11:33 am
oceandriven

Hi Everybody,

Thank you for your excellent replies so far.

To answer the questions:

Yes, I have posted to the BBS forum. The suggestion from a BBS employee/support person is that I dual post here as the BBS forums are quiet at the moment. I've also PM'd some of the BBS guys which I hate having to do but my 3 ton garden ornament is making me sad right now Embarassed

I scoured the forums before attempting the CJB update and read as much as I could. I then attempted the update with a fully charged and good quality battery - no charger attached.

So, no 25A charger attached at the time. I've just invested in a CTEK 25A and connected to the vehicle.
I'll leave it until it tells me the battery is fully charged and then attempt it again.

Thanks Disco-Mike. I'll hope for a reply.

Cheers

Post #121841216th Jan 2014 12:09 pm
oceandriven

UPDATE!

I've fully charged the battery using the CTEK 25A charger. Placed the battery back in the vehicle, connected the charger and attempted a write. Still unfortunately the same problem. Looks like I definitely need the CJB recovery instructions for this one..

Thanks again all...

Post #121846216th Jan 2014 2:17 pm
geoff.

England 

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Had exactly the same when programming a CJB with the Faultmate

Send me a PM this evening, if they have not responded, and ill forward them on to you Thumbs Up

why send a pm just spit it out Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by geoff. on 16th Jan 2014 8:29 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #121864016th Jan 2014 8:05 pm
alex_pescaru

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Luckily, I was sent CJB recovery instructions from another site sponsor, who has been extremely helpful in trying to rectify the situation.

Yes, I, among many others, would be interested too how it's done... Bow down
We may learn what to avoid in order to not happen again on other's cars.
Why the secrecy?... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #121864816th Jan 2014 8:15 pm
Disco_Mikey

geoff. wrote:
why send a pm just spit it out Evil or Very Mad

Likewise Shocked

I asked him to send me a PM to remind me to send them over, in case I had forgotten, or no-one replied, and I didn't see this thread again.

I was replying on my phone, where I can't copy and paste...

I wasn't "attacking" the Faultmate, as you put it. I was saying that I had exactly the same issue, with the same equipment. I'm sure you will even remember the phone call, asking for some advice

Someone else was kind enough to send me the recovery instructions a few days after, and I offered to share them, unless said person got to it before me...

alex_pescaru wrote:
Yes, I, among many others, would be interested too how it's done... Bow down
We may learn what to avoid in order to not happen again on other's cars.
Why the secrecy?... Laughing Laughing Laughing

See the first half of this reply Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #121871916th Jan 2014 10:00 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

oceandriven, Are you using a USB to serial converter ? If so then trya real serial port PC or laptop as sometimes the converters do cause bugs.

The CJB should always be recoverable even after programming fail as when its erased by the software it is only partly erased leaving access still open.

You will get it going so do not stress to much in the mean time, though a very expencive car I do appreciate that but do remember "its only metal" and it can be fixed so dont worry Thumbs Up

Pete

Post #121872616th Jan 2014 10:10 pm
Disco_Mikey

PM has been sent. For everyone else:

Quote:
Hi Mike

Maybe I can be of help here… the BCM is a bit tricky to recover after a failed re-flash but it is nearly impossible to brick it! Don’t waste your money away, we will do our best to get you out of there. This is a know issue, in fact there is a Land Rover technical bulletin describing this precise problem. Out of curiosity, is it the first time you have had this issue? The following is from the user manual, It was written after we had the same issue and found by trial and error what the problem was and it is mixed with the technical bulletin info`s.

Body Control ECU

Updating the BCM Body Control ECU adds the 3 turn flash feature. To work, It will also have to be enabled in the Car Configuration File (CCF).

Before updating the body control ECU, please read the following:

• Re-flashing the Body Control ECU takes around 2.5 minutes.

• Good electrical connections at the OBD connector and high enough battery voltage are both critical to the success of the BCM re-flash.

• If you do not have access to a power supply (Midtronic’s PSC-550 or equivalent), use jump cables and another vehicle with the engine running to supply current to the battery.

• Do not use a regular battery charger.

• Make sure you have plenty of time ahead before proceeding.

• If the re-flashing fails on the first attempt, fuse 15 and 16 of the engine fuse box will have to be removed quickly to prevent damages to latches or other devices controlled by the BCM. We strongly recommend loosening the fuses using pliers before updating the BCM. This way, it will be easier to remove both of them in case of a failure.

• If a failure occurred and a second attempt is needed, simply reconnect fuse 15. Once the re-flashing is completed, reconnect fuse 16.

The worst that could have happened that we know of (happened once before and on our D3) is that the lower cargo door latches could have been damaged, no BCM to replace… but the latches may have to be replaced. What happens is that when the BCM Re-flashing fails, some of its outputs can stay ON (this is whats damaging the latches motors), this created a voltage drop which prevents a diagnostic tool to re-flash it once again. Removing the fuses and installing fuse 15 will reduce the load and allow re-flashing.
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #121874316th Jan 2014 10:31 pm
PatGAPInnov
Site Sponsor 

Canada 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

This looks familiar... Very Happy

Post #121877916th Jan 2014 11:38 pm
alex_pescaru

By the way... And I don't want to be negative here...
A small technical detail...
I don't know which microcontroller is used on Disco's BCM, but the one used on Freelander2 (Renesas M30882FJVGP) has the flashing endurance, according to the datasheet, of ONLY 100 times...
Quite a low value for a flash device...

Post #121878616th Jan 2014 11:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >