Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

EPB Amber light…..yet the EPB works perfectly fine!?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Adam84

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
EPB Amber light…..yet the EPB works perfectly fine!?

Hello All!

Does anyone have any suggestions for the above title problem……Im at breaking point Big Cry haha!

Ive tried a hard reset (disconnecting the battery) I haven't taken it to anyone for fault code reset yet…

Cheers

Adam Thumbs Up

Post #121968418th Jan 2014 4:56 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Is yours a manual or Auto? If Manual, the gear position indicator proximity switch can light up EPB fault if the setting is out. I think it has been covered before on Forum.

Post #121972018th Jan 2014 5:55 pm
Adam84

Mines a manual, I don't seem to have issues with the gear position indicator as the numbers come u on the screen instantaneously upon gear selection, I may try the reset procedure in low ratio and see if that does anything.

Ive been out and held the park brake selector up at under 20mph and she stops pretty straight, hard and quick so theres no real reason why the fault is there?!!

Post #121973018th Jan 2014 6:15 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Your XY sensor needs recalibrating search the site for the procedure and it should be ok.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #121975518th Jan 2014 6:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Adam84

Stevie B wrote:
Had this problem myself. Park Brake fault light! Loss of gear Indication Number on Dash. Loss of Reversing lights when in Reverse and no Reversing sensor. Otherwise car drove well Question

Went to an unnamed LR Dealer in Saltash, Cornwall. They quoted me almost a grand for a new clutch plus more if I had to replace the flywheel Exclamation Exclamation

I was a little strapped for cash and started asking round non LR dealers and one of them being a former LR Dealer mechanic told me it was the sensor (XY) that tells the Car what gear it is in and it needed resetting. Then he said it can easily be sorted and to do this before doing anything else...Idea

1) Find a long straight and quiet section of road.Neutral
2) Select LOW Ratio.Shocked
3) Reverse for about 200 yards or until you get the beep and the R on the dash gear number indicator. And then a tiny bit more for good luck. Stop, then...Neutral
4) Go forwards in 1st until number appears. Clutch pedal must be fully raised each time.Exclamation
5) Then up through the Gears waiting for each of the numbers to appear. Do not skip any gears!Mad
6) Stop at 6th, back into neutral, switch off engine.Confused
7) After a brief rest, I took a couple of minutes just to make sure all the bad ju ju was gone and to have a quick wee as it was just all too exciting.Whistle
8) Restart and select High Ratio and you're on your way..Laughing

I did this and problem fixed. This (wee optional) resets the XY sensor...Wink

However; if the light keeps coming back on check your revs when putting your foot down. If they slip up and slow down while the speed catches up then your clutch plates are on the way out. This eventually happened to me 40k miles after my first problem. As long as the clutch isn't juddering violently each gear change, then it should be a case of just new plates without a flywheel replacement...Confused

NB: In the case of having new plates the fault light will be lit upon receipt of your motor. Give it a few miles for the new plates to bed in then reset the XY sensor and the fault light will miraculously go out...8)

Hope this helps and saves someone forking unnecessarily when in a few minutes you can sort yourself out... Arrow

Good Luck...SB... Thumbs Up

Ive just run this procedure, no change in amber light, plus my ebb just squealed at me with a red flashing light…..thankfully gone after a quick turn of the key!! Big Cry

Post #121977118th Jan 2014 7:04 pm
tomtom86

Get the codes checked and don't use the EPB until you can clean and adjust it as you don't want to module to jam up! when removing the key keep the switch pressed down to prevent the auto on function. Amber lights can bean thing but have seen a few wiring issues on the loom at the back by the EPB modulator. Plucking at straws without knowing fault codes though Thumbs Up

Post #121980718th Jan 2014 7:41 pm
Allan_T

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: EPB Amber light…..yet the EPB works perfectly fine!?

Adam84 wrote:
Hello All!

Does anyone have any suggestions for the above title problem……Im at breaking point Big Cry haha!

Ive tried a hard reset (disconnecting the battery) I haven't taken it to anyone for fault code reset yet…

Cheers

Adam Thumbs Up

Do you have a warning message on the instrument cluster in addition to the amber light?
 GAP IID Pro Multi Vehicle Defender L316 2007-2015 - Discovery 3 - Discovery 4 - Discovery Sport L550 - Freelander 2 - Range Rover Evoque L538 - Range Rover L322 - Range Rover L405 - Range Rover Sport L320 - Range Rover Sport L494
Electrical Fault Diagnostics

Post #121981218th Jan 2014 7:45 pm
Adam84

yep warning message says "park brake fault"

I'll be sure to take extra care when using it now Sad

I'll try and get fault codes read on monday

Post #121981518th Jan 2014 7:48 pm
Allan_T

Check fuse 40 and 41 in the CJB behind the glove box, the park brake fault message on its own indicates a plausibility or logic fault.
 GAP IID Pro Multi Vehicle Defender L316 2007-2015 - Discovery 3 - Discovery 4 - Discovery Sport L550 - Freelander 2 - Range Rover Evoque L538 - Range Rover L322 - Range Rover L405 - Range Rover Sport L320 - Range Rover Sport L494

Post #121982018th Jan 2014 7:56 pm
Adam84

Checked 40 and 41, both are i perfect condition, cleaned and replaced anyway, still a fault Rolling Eyes

Post #121982818th Jan 2014 8:14 pm
Allan_T

I had the same symptoms and the fault was with the ignition switched live ( fuse 41 IIRC ), traced the circuit to the NSR wheel arch which tested fine for voltage and continuity, the fault was due to a broken wire in the section of loom that runs from the rear wheel arch to the EPB module. There are photos of the connector and location in my gallery.

Post #121983118th Jan 2014 8:23 pm
cliveaff

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Stevie B.
Thank you very much for the information, about getting rid of the yellow parking light, it was magic, it worked for me, but calling it the "XYZ Reset" I thought oh yes no chance.
What happend to me was, I was going from Worthing to London up the duel carriageway and a car pulled out on me, I had to slam them on, no problems, I then went on my way.
Then.................... Twisted Evil
The yellow light came on, the gear indicator on the dash was slow comming up with the gear number, and went off as soon as pressed the clutch, then slow to come back on to show what gear I was in, no reversing lights, they didn't come on, also I had my parking brake enabled to come off when I drove away, now that stayed on and I had to manually press it for it to come off.
Today I had nothing to lose, I tried the XYZ and everything went back to normal, even the parking brake.
The one thing I didn't do was the last thing on the list, which was to go for a wee wee, there was to many people around, and I did not want them laughing at me and feeling sorry for my wife!!!!!
Again thank you very much for the information.
 Land Rover Dicovery 3. 5 Seats.
With side Steps, And rubber floor mats and rubber load space cover.
Front and Rear Mud Flaps.
Light Guards.
Engine Re-Map
Alpine Mobile Media Station. With SatNav.
Xenon head lights
Old Man Emu Suspension
Triumph Sprint RS 1050
Discovery 1 300tdi 1995 

Post #128676720th May 2014 2:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BrianT

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just seen this,

I had this problem intermittently for 4 years,Got Disco_Mikey to check XY sensor when clutch was done and he also checked the magnet inside the box,it was a little furred up but not major,after driving a couple of miles fault came back Big Cry

After much thought DM decided to reflash the transfer ECU,job done,never had the problem again Thumbs Up

Maybe worth a try.

BrianT Thumbs Up
 MY 16 Landmark Santorini Black
MY 05 SE Adriatic Blue (Gone but not forgotten)

Post #128684120th May 2014 4:32 pm
Ringobagarn

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Connector fault?

AllanT:

Nice with this forum!

I had this problem for a while, and tried every trick...

Can you please specify which foto you are referring to - you've been too active

Post #16070138th Feb 2016 9:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >