Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

winter driving and DSC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mkacala

winter driving and DSC

does anyone know if DSC should be turned off driving up hill in slipper conditions - i have winter tyres fitted

where we go skiing there is a hard steep 10 / 15 mile road up to the resort (Flaine) and last year i could feel the power come off going round the hairpins - i assumed this was the DSC coming on ? i didn't have winter tyres on last year though

any advice appreciated

Post #12335679th Feb 2014 7:02 am
Alanpatt

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Commercial Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Not sure if this helps, but, with my Merc vans they recommend that traction control (asr) is turned off when on snow.....

Post #12335759th Feb 2014 8:46 am
Ken

Leave DSC on if you have winters fitted turn dial to GGS let the magic monkey do her stuff

If you have to ask about DSC then leave well alone its there for a reason Thumbs Up

Post #12335799th Feb 2014 8:52 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Short steep muddy climbs where you need momentum to crest (properly steep, as in marginal for standing up) then maybe. On snowy roads? Never. As Ken says, put it in Grass Gravel Snow on terrain response and the anti-gravity pixies will usher you up the hill.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #12335939th Feb 2014 9:25 am
gavinEd

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Land Rover Experience recommended that I switch DSC off going uphill on a steep slope, but keep power going on GGS/M&R; keep DSC on going downhill or on the level.
 Discovery 3 HSE Auto (2007)
VW Golf TDI (2010)
Jaguar Sovereign 4.2 (1984)
Discovery 3 S Auto (2005), now sold 

Post #12336019th Feb 2014 9:48 am
Ken

Different conditions different rules

BMW Merc rear drives on Winters DSC off, LR product on WINTERS keep it on especially on overseas roads were they are used to the proper conditions in the UK it makes no difference as you are stuck behind a Censored Mr. Green

Post #12336049th Feb 2014 9:56 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Agree with Ken & Al Smile

The key to DSC is to consider whether it believes that the vehicle is unstable ....going up a steep muddy or snowy slope in itself does not necessarily mean that the vehicle will become unstable... on the other hand when you are on a hill in rutted mud or perhaps rutted compacted snow then any sudden changes in direction caused by undulations or the ruts tram-lining the vehicle can cause DSC to think that you are losing it and it will react by amongst other things cutting the power.

The only time I would switch it off is if such terrain as described had already impeded my progress Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #12336089th Feb 2014 10:08 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

As said above, DSC off helps you keep speed up when you need the momentum in mud, sand and going up steep scrabbly slopes. Not sure the same approach is wise in snow as in mud, sand & slopes you will stop instantly(ish) when you take your foot off the throttle, won't be the case in snow.

My sage advice? Pack a shovel & use it sooner rather than as a last resort when you think you're failing to make forward progress (i.e. stuck).

Just a thought. Whistle

Post #12336159th Feb 2014 10:39 am
mkacala

guys thankyou all very much ! i have winter tyres on her so the outcome is keep DSC on and if it gets rough (!) snow on the ground etc also engage snow mode !

if all fails (and its snowing heavily) pull over and get the wife to fit the chains (only on front wheels) but lend her my gloves since i'm nice like that !

looks like there will be loads of snow this year its been snowing for about 3 weeks non stop !

Post #12337969th Feb 2014 5:19 pm
LHD

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I'm presently climbing from 270m above sea level to 600m above and I change nothing to make it up the hill. The winter tyres are fantastic and the whole experience is absolutely solid (it's snowing for the 3rd time in a week for me right now).

In short....you're not going to get stuck and you have to give it everything around a hairpin to get it to slip.

The only time I've had to do anything is to get out of our street which does not get cleared by the commune and D was not cutting it from a standing start on a 1 in 4 hairpin curve. I dropped it into Lo ratio but I guess the Gravel/Snow programme would have seen me get out too. The snow was only a foot deep so Lo might have been overkill.

Downhill on winters is fine too - as long as you don't go too fast. No slippage.

The wife's BMW does do better with DSC turned off for slow speed manoeuvres especially when trying to go uphill on snow and ice......
 Discovery 3 Manual as PDF | Blackvue 500 | BAS Remap | Mates did South America in a Landie

Post #123418510th Feb 2014 11:04 am
Ken

Mercs are fine in the snow Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #123419010th Feb 2014 11:17 am
LHD

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

PS: I think chains should go on the back if you only have one set. This is to save you being overtaken by your rear wheels when going downhill.

But I can't see you needing them. I did not even bother buying chains for my Disco.

edit: the above Merc is a garage-owned car from one of the bigger MB dealers. It looks "non-standard" Wink
 Discovery 3 Manual as PDF | Blackvue 500 | BAS Remap | Mates did South America in a Landie

Post #123419410th Feb 2014 11:23 am
Ken

Always have this in back up thou Rolling with laughter

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #123419810th Feb 2014 11:36 am
Ken

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #123420010th Feb 2014 11:37 am
Andyrp

England 

mkacala when are you off to Flaine?

Post #123423110th Feb 2014 1:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >