Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

rear anti roll bars and rear tie bar replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bigtam64

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
rear anti roll bars and rear tie bar replacement

how difficult is it for a novice wannabe to replace the above
I got an advisory in MOT last sept so am looking at getting them done to prevent a failure this year.

cheers

doug
 Weekends are to short
Egr valves removed 

Post #13193652nd Aug 2014 9:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bear1009

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Very easy should manage to do it all in 2 or 3 hrs if you are a novice Thumbs Up
 tinted windows
led sidelights
new fuel pump
disco 3 sticker
4x4 screen unlocked ( thanks bell autos)
bell autos egr blanking kit
halo fog day running lights
ffrr sat nav hack
gvif reverse camera
clear side indicators
alisport intercooler hoses 

Post #13194082nd Aug 2014 9:51 pm
Kingmav66

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

'Tie-bars', if these are what I think are drop-links, then they're dead easy Thumbs Up
Anti-roll bar bushes are pretty straight forward. Just be prepared to undo the nuts an 1/8th of a turn at a time with a spanner Thumbs Up

Post #13194362nd Aug 2014 10:53 pm
jg7

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I replaced rear ARB bushes last month. Could not even get 1/8 turn on the spanner so took an extra 10 mins to loosen off the body mounting bolts and jack up the body one side at a time, just forward of the rear wheel arch, to give plenty of clearance to get at the ARB bolts and brackets.

I undid the 4 mounting bolts from the rear silencer forward to the front wheel arch.
The mounting bolts are long with plenty of thread so they can just be loosened to allow a few inches of lift without springing the body completely free of the chassis.

It was well worth the effort, the new bushes eliminated all of the rear end rattles.

Post #13211386th Aug 2014 2:20 pm
bigtam64

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Cheers guys
I am just sorting out some advisories on
Last years MOT for a bit of movement on the pin bushes
So am I right in assuming I just need to replace the bushes
Themselves.
Am taking the car down to my brothers in wales
To do the work as he is a better mechanic than me
Just want to take the right bits with me
 Weekends are to short
Egr valves removed 

Post #13216837th Aug 2014 5:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Are you sure it is the drop links that the MOT picked up on the advisory. Mine picked out the panhard rods as advisory's, two years running. I actually think there is nothing wrong. As FH posted in this link, LR seem to have had this question posed in the past and tried to clarify:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic115236.html See second entry
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #13216957th Aug 2014 6:19 pm
bigtam64

decided to wait till mot in Oct and see what they pick up this year
gonna do the compressor this month

cheers for all the comments

Doug
 Weekends are to short
Egr valves removed 

Post #13227709th Aug 2014 8:07 pm
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Thanks to jg7's suggestion four posts above of loosening off the body/chassis bolts and lifting the body slightly to give extra room, I have managed to change my rear ARB bushes having well and truly knackered the bolt heads with previous attempts. The extra 2cms allows a decent sized socket and bar to get onto the bolt heads. They are 13mm heads but having rounded the bolt heads, I used a 1/2" 6 point socket which did the job. Having put the socket and bar onto the bolt, I lowered the body back down slightly to keep the socket well and truly on the bolt until I managed to get it moving.

Big thanks to jg7.

HM

Post #132661818th Aug 2014 8:07 pm
lord gary Powell

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
rear anti roll bar

A quick post from a newbie, would like to add to this forum as its been a real help to myself.

I have just acquired a 54 plate S manual. cheap as everything that goes wrong, is wrong.

Started the transformation with the anti roll bar bushes, mine were really bad and you could see daylight through the rears.

Got all the parts through advanced factors. very good service. all parts very good quality if not genuine landrover.

Rears were a tale of two woes. N/S was very easy to change, both bolts removed with ease and bush removed.

O/S was a different story, both bolts rounded off with first touch with the spanner.
the front bolt isnt too bad to remove in this case, from beneath i started with a 2 mm drill and drilled it out, being very careful to in the center. increasing in drill size 1mm at a time until i got to 8mm.
at this point the bolt was so distressed it was easy to remove with a 12mm spanner forced over the head. 12mins max and a great relief.
rear bolt is much more difficult as its in a box section, so no access for the drill.
after making metal plates to protect the cables and fuel lines that run close to the area , heat was applied via a needle flame blowtorch then immediately cooled with a co2 fire extinguisher.
did this a couple of times and the bolt became loose.wd40 and time got it removed.
please be careful if you use this technique.

everything was then replaced but i had to use the original brackets as the ones supplied by advanced factors dont fit, they are looking into this.

front was easier, as per the many write ups on this thread. But i didnt have to remove the fuel cooler. Loads of room so no idea why others struggle. Also i didnt remove the N/S cross member but loosened the front diff support to gain access. Very easy.

What i would recommend is do not by just bushes for the front, replace the whole bar which comes with new bushes and brackets. £66+ vat from land rover and very easy to replace.

i also change all the drop links. Rear was easy , fronts needed an attack with the angle grinder but none was difficult.

All i used was hand tools, mainly halfords pro socket set and a long bar for leverage, nothing from work so no cheating.

hope this helps someone.

Post #165523215th May 2016 8:41 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Welcome to the forum!

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #165526315th May 2016 9:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1