Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Kenwood install - needed to do something else
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
sailorboi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Kenwood install - needed to do something else

Well thanks to Garagemx I managed to source a kenwood screen and nav unit Thumbs Up

So thought I would have a day off of the sankey and focus on installing this. It was relatively simple and straight forward. I have wired the nav unit into fuse 58 in the passenger side fuse box (I think this is live from unlock) so the idea was it has chance to boot up etc.. Then the screen is spliced into the 12v socket feed from the front so that is only come on when the ignition is live and by then the nav unit should be booted so in theory no hanging around Thumbs Up

Followed all the other thread regarding this robe honest and went for it Smile

All fits nicely in the top glove box:

Quick screen test:

Then put it all back together before any one knows it was not meant to be there Smile

I still have to fit the rear camera and wire in the reverse wire trigger but I already run the cables (plus some extra for another project) down the passenger trim into the boot. I just need to take the boot trim off and splice into the reverse light Thumbs Up

Possibly not tonight but hopefully this weekend sometime.

Then full throttle again with the sankey on Monday Thumbs Up
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x
Sankey Narrow Track Camping Trailer (Gone but to a great home) 

Post #133131729th Aug 2014 3:50 pm
Down&Dirty

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Tidy job Thumbs Up

And looks 8)
 MY24 Defender 90 X-Dynamic HSE
MY18 Disco 5 HSE Santorini Black Now Gone. 

Post #133134529th Aug 2014 4:51 pm
Garagegmx

Didn't think you'd get stuck in so quick. Shocked

Got to say it looks impressive! Thumbs Up The kit is superb and looks like a factory fit. I've never seen anything else that comes close on a Disco. Bow down

Post #133140129th Aug 2014 6:51 pm
sailorboi

Yep Thumbs Up

Having one small issue though with the alternative feeds. Video 1 and 2 in. I have tried hooking up a camera and power to one of them and I don't seem to get anything. Is has a message saying parking off but not sure what that means? Have you got any tips for connecting an aux input? Or did you not do it?

I am very pleased with it and it fits perfectly. To be honest though I want it mainly for the rear cam Thumbs Up
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x

Post #133140329th Aug 2014 6:56 pm
Iguana

Ukraine 

Looks the Censored business Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #133140729th Aug 2014 7:03 pm
Beno2

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Looks Censored brill Thumbs Up
 D3 HSE

Post #133140929th Aug 2014 7:06 pm
Garagegmx

Hi, I've never fitted an auxiliary camera or anything similar up to this kit tbh.

Hopefully the instruction books might help you out. I know the facility exists to fit two auxiliary inputs including a reversing camera and the phono sockets are there so I can't think of anything physically impeding you unless you linked up the green handbrake wires. They are only there to stop you using the kit on the go, so best not used. Other than that it might be something in the actual settings you can adjust via the touch screen.

Try a simple positive/negative/phono connection and see how it goes or trial and error adjust with the software settings.

I know Kenwood do their own CMOS camera which is pretty much plug and play, so it might be worth a look at their site or doing a quick google.

I will have a look at the web myself, it's probably something simple, these things always are. Thumbs Up

Post #133141929th Aug 2014 7:25 pm
sailorboi

Well had to stay in today as had new windows fitted so was able to have a play in the car on the drive and get a few things sorted out Thumbs Up

Got the video to work (needed to ground the park brake cable to trick it into thinking I was stationary) so got a good picture on the revering can I hooked up as a test Thumbs Up

I am going to have three revering camera feeds eventually. One as normal, one looking at the tow ball for solo hooking up and one attached to a wireless receiver for trailer rear cams Smile

So I took inspiration from another feed and have put in a three pole selectable switch so when it kicks the screen in automatically when reverse is selected then I can swap between the feeds. It works well so far just using one test feed and plugging and unplugging it into the other connected then changing the switch. It was a bit complicated with phono leads and connectors to get all the wiring in but I am really happy with how it has ended up. I am switching the video feed not power. With the coaxial cable I just commoned all the outer core stuff then put the centre hard wire one the correct switch positions Smile

And this is what it looks like from in the drivers seat:

Now just the fun of running the cables around the boot Smile

Massey Ferguson 35x

Post #13326651st Sep 2014 5:58 pm
Garagegmx

Well done, you were right about the handbrake cable. Thumbs Up glad everything turned out fine for you.

Post #13326741st Sep 2014 6:24 pm
dsd1036

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Looks good Bow down but sorry to p*ss on your fire but your installs not new Rolling with laughter

Mines an Alpine system with Nav, DVB Freeview, 160gb iPod Classic for movies and music, Blackvue camera and XBMC Modded 160gb Apple tv along with 4G Mifi for streaming Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

rgds

Darrell Thumbs Up

Post #13326971st Sep 2014 7:34 pm
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Looks good and neat Darrell, but now you're going to post more info and pics of what and how you've done it.
Very Happy

Post #13327101st Sep 2014 8:15 pm
sailorboi

Never said it was new Thumbs Up

Looks very good though Thumbs Up

Massey Ferguson 35x

Last edited by sailorboi on 1st Sep 2014 9:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13327301st Sep 2014 8:58 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Your reversing camera isn't a reversing camera as it hasn't switched the image round. If you leave it like that and trust the image, then when you think you need to turn left, your should be turning right. It should have flipped the image.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #13327321st Sep 2014 9:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sailorboi

I have not set it as a rear cam yet don't worry Thumbs Up just used it as a test Smile

(If that was aimed at me Thumbs Up )

Massey Ferguson 35x

Post #13327341st Sep 2014 9:04 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yes sailerboi Thumbs Up nice if the unit lets you switch it Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #13327371st Sep 2014 9:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >