DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Problems Selecting 1st and Reverse
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Woolmeister

Ukraine 
Problems Selecting 1st and Reverse

Hi folks,

I know this problem has been experienced by several other members and discussed in previous posts and wondered if anybody here might be able to shed some light on what might be up with my manual D3 S.

We took delivery of our new D3 on 27th March 2007 and from day 1 there was a fairly strong burning smell coming from the car after parking and switching of the engine. I assumed - rightly or wrongly - that it was just the cat getting a bit of a workout and all the new components getting hot and burning off their factory fragrance Shocked . It's now done 3,000 miles.

A few weeks ago Mrs. W (SWMBO Bow down ) mentioned that she was finding it difficult to select 1st and reverse. I dismissed this criticism of my D3 as rubbish Laughing and continued cycling to work as normal. However, whilst driving to and from Paris last week (some 700 miles or so), I noticed that 1st and reverse were indeed somewhat problematic to select Embarassed .

Now, I know for a fact that my car is one of the 2006 MY cars affected by TSB 308-001 (dodgy clutch) and wondered if the symptoms I describe are similar to anybody else who has been affected by TSB 308-001 or am I just jumping to a wrong conclusion?

I just collected my car from Lancasters in Reading who told me they have adjusted the gearbox linkage and to see how I get on with it. To be honest, it feels no different to me and it will be going back to them at some point soon. I suspect I will take it back citing TSB 308-001 and see what they say about it. I'm sure replacing a clutch is not a cheap job for a dealership so they're probably trying to rule out everything else first.

Would love to hear from anybody else who's experienced similar symptoms.

Cheers,

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #1646766th Jun 2007 3:23 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Replacing the gearbox would be done under warranty so the garage won't lose out. I would tell them to pull their finger out and get it sorted Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #1646786th Jun 2007 3:28 pm
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Mine had exactly the same problem.

I smelt the clutch burn once last year and it was always in the back of my mind.
Early this year I started to notice difficulty in engaging 1st gear particularly when cold. My local dealer inspected it - tried to put it in reverse then 1st and then reverse again - and then confirmed with LR that it would be covered.
Subsequently they changed the clutch and slave cylinder under warranty without any hassle.

If it falls within the TSB quoted VIN range take it up with yours or another dealer.
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #1646876th Jun 2007 4:06 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Lancaster Reading fixed this issue on mine so they should know what to do.
Whilst changing my clutch they discovered a plastic part at the base of the gear stick that was breaking up and causing the issue

Steve, PM me if you want names and reg. numbers to quote at them so they can look back on their system to see what they did to mine
 The End  
Post #1646916th Jun 2007 4:43 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Where can I find the VIN number range for this issue please as mine has the same problem?
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #16629012th Jun 2007 10:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy4467

TSB 308-001

A customer may report a concern of one or more of the following symptoms:

This bulletin has been re-issued to include a closing VIN.

Strong odors from under vehicle when, or after, a slow speed maneuver (e.g. difficult parking maneuver), especially when on gradients.
Clutch slip.
The clutch pedal has stuck in the downward position or not releasing fully.
Difficulty in engaging gears.

Cause: The clutch drive plate lining material is not tolerant to high heat inputs caused by slipping, becomes soft and is then damaged beyond recovery even when it has cooled.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin to renew the clutch assembly.

Manual transmission vehicles only VIN-range: 5A300394-7A422271

TSB LTB00018

Subject/Concern: Discovery 3/LR3 - Clutch Slip/Odor

Models: Discovery 3 / LR3 Engine: 2.7L(TdV6) Diesel
Manual transmission vehicles only VIN-range: 5A300394-7A422271

Markets: All

Summary: A customer may report a concern of one or more of the following symptoms:

This bulletin has been re-issued to include a closing VIN.

* Strong odors from under vehicle when, or after, a slow speed maneuver (e.g. difficult parking maneuver), especially when on gradients.
* Clutch slip.
* The clutch pedal has stuck in the downward position or not releasing fully.
* Difficulty in engaging gears.

Cause: The clutch drive plate lining material is not tolerant to high heat inputs caused by slipping, becomes soft and is then damaged beyond recovery even when it has cooled.

Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin to renew the clutch assembly.
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

BMW 320d M sport 

Post #16629312th Jun 2007 10:33 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Thanks for that!
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #16629612th Jun 2007 10:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Lancaster Reading replaced the clutch assembly for me ( Thumbs Up ) but I'm not convinced my original problem - selecting 1st and reverse - has gone away.

I'm now having issues with the drive not being disengaged properly when making other gear selections (3rd > 4th, 5th > 6th). It's almost as if the flywheel is not disengaging properly from the clutch plate. It doesn't grind, when I change gear, but I can definitely feel the gears still spinning as I make the selection. I've also noticed considerable juddering when crawling along in traffic in 2nd. I realise most 4x4s do this (my old Disco did the same) but should there be that much play in the transmission?

I would not expect this from a £30k motor.

Is it me, or is anybody else out there having the same trouble?

I'll go back and see them about it but would be good to be armed with some more info from here.

Cheers!

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #18868013th Aug 2007 9:59 am
Glen

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Hi Steve

I had all the same symptoms as you on my car when I bought it with 25000 miles (55 plate). When the clutch was replaced the dealer found free play in the flywheel damper (it's a split mass flywheel with a damper between). They said that LR were very interested as it shouldn't have happened and were taking photos/measurements etc to send off before it was replaced. The car was definitely better but I'm not 100% convinced. It can still be notchy to get into gear and there is sometimes a thump from the drivetrain when I select first as though the clutch isn't disengaging fully. Having just had LR rescue out for another fault I discussed it with the engineer. He test drove it and reckoned it was ok but until i can drive another manual it's hard to tell. He did say that overheating clutches could damage the flywheel and it was good that mine had been replaced.

Cheers
Glen

Post #2130328th Oct 2007 10:59 am
wavey66

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My D3 TDv6 Manual (55) is out of warrentee at the end of October and was booked in to have the final 3year service in a couple of weeks. Yesterday I was moving our horsebox ( empty ) in the paddock and I noticed a strong smell coming from the clutch. I then noticed that the clutch pedal only returned about half way. I pumped the pedal a couple of times and although it returned to the top the smell remained the cluch pedal felt spongier. I left it for an hour and it seems OK. I spoke with the dealer and they said it sounded like the clutch had collapsed and it needed to come in as it could happen again. I asked if it would be covered under warrentee and he said they would need to look at what the problem was before answering. The car has only done 25k miles so I'd expect the clutch to last longer than that ?

Before taking it in I thought I'd have a search on the site and found this post.

The symptoms are identical to mine and I've also found it tricky to engage 1st and reverse gears especially when cold ( I'd had this checked out previously but the dealers said it was normal ).

I checked to see if my VIN number fitted within this range and I think it does. So I have a couple of questions :

My VIN number ( which I located at the bottom of the windscreen ) is 17 digits long - Can someone confirm that its only the last 8 digits I'm supposed to be looking at ?

If this is the case then the last eight digits of mine are 6A36**** so is this covered within the above TSB ?

Does it sound like I should have a strong case to get this sorted under warrentee ?

Sorry if these are obvious questions only I want to be confident that mine is covered when I take it in.

Thanks

Post #34679120th Sep 2008 8:58 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yes vin number is in the range Thumbs Up

And yes they should do it under warranty ...

I had my clutch done under warrantee about 19000 miles ...there was also talk about a pin that needed replacing were the gear selector goes into the gearbox ..
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #34685220th Sep 2008 1:38 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

All these clutch problems... You should have gone to Auto my friends.... Whistle Whistle

Wink
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #34688820th Sep 2008 4:08 pm
wavey66

Ah hindsight. Yes think my next one will be an Auto.

Thanks guys.

Post #34724121st Sep 2008 7:10 pm
wavey66

Brief update to this. My local dealer said as they could not replicate the problem while the vehicle was with them they would not make the repairs.

As you might imagine I was less than pleased especially as my warrentee runs out in a couple of weeks.

I spoke to LR Customer services and although they understood my concern they backed the dealer. They did say that if the clutch failed within a few months of the warrentee expiring they would cover the repair if a fault was found so thats a slight improvement. I'm still miffed though as the clutch isnt right and apart from carrying on and waiting for it to go I'm not sure what else to do ? Any one make any suggestions ?

Post #34975625th Sep 2008 8:34 pm
Andy4467

Park brake on - 6th gear selected - engine speed at approx. 4500rpm and dropping the clutch should sort it out....!
Then call LR assist.

Alternatively try any of the scenario's that other owners have listed - slow speed high load etc. and you should be rewarded with an interesting smell and the other consequences of a failed clutch.

BMW 320d M sport 

Post #34992926th Sep 2008 12:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >