DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Hi All, TD5 upgrade to D3 possible - homework
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Clintuk

United Kingdom 
Hi All, TD5 upgrade to D3 possible - homework

Just joined guys to do my homework.

Currently have an 03 TD5 manual which is a mostly DIY car, 120K+ miles. In about 2 years I've done:

All shocks
Rear air suspension
Oil changes
Stripped interior to try and find water leak
Rear hub
Cam inspection cover replaced
Top water hose replaced
New fuel pump
New drag link ball joint (hurt myself on that one)
Bulbs
Rear door lock

Had to pay someone to change the clutch (and a front hub at same time)

Its had a remap and has ACE so it drives quite well but it needs a cylinder head gasket, tires later in the year, occasionally the suspension air pump makes noises it shouldn't, not convinced I found source of leak (sunroof drain) so I do not expect the work it requires to slow down unfortunately.

I may have the opportunity to get a 06 Auto D3 inexpensively <70K miles and I wondering should I consider this as a new family wagon or flip it and keep the TD5 that I have fixed a lot and know some of what's coming rather than starting with the unknown D3?

Don't expect definitive answers but joined to trail the posts and find out if you can DIY some of the common problems on D3

Cheers

Post #141043519th Jan 2015 2:30 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I ran a D2 for 4 years nice enough car, went all over europe in it, had my D3 for 1 month now and its worlds apart, no comparison at all.
My D2 had rear a/c and removing the roof lining to trace water leaks was a real pita!
D3 real nice but like all cars they need tlc to keep them reliable, the ride is lovely and virtually no noise from outside at all.
03 td5 may not be the head gasket could be more sinister, the early ones had the probs with the head shifting due to plastic dowels.

Last edited by lynalldiscovery on 19th Jan 2015 5:10 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #141052119th Jan 2015 5:08 pm
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The 2 are a world a part, I also have a remapped D2 with ACE and they are really good a on country road.

Less than 70K is low mileage for a 06 D3, don't be under any illusion that will means there won't be any issues.

It should have had belts done some time a go. With the knowledge on this forum most things are diyable on D3 if you are handy with the spanners.
 IID PRO
MSV Extreme
Nanocom One 

Post #141052219th Jan 2015 5:09 pm
CaptAwsm

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hey mate, I came from a similar background having owned an '00 Td5 and now moving to a D3 TDV6. I understand the view that if you've invested money in the Td5 then why get rid of it and I agree. Ifs it suits your situation and circumstances definitely consider keeping it.

However a D3 I'm beginning to learn is quite user friendly. Servicing is so, so easy because of the placement of the oil filter (no more fiddle Td5 oil filter jobs). The D3 also drives so nicely and uses less fuel. Off road I haven't had a chance to compare but I'm sure there will be people on here who know how capable they are. For the record, I bought my D3 with 200,000kms on the clock and drove it 3500kms return trip to North West Australia. And it made it easily.

Hope this helps your decision.

Ben.

Post #141109720th Jan 2015 2:53 pm
Clintuk

United Kingdom 

Thanks Ben - interesting to hear it uses less fuel.

If it happens we'll be moving from manual TD5 to Auto D3 2.7L The D3 in question might be available very reasonably from company I work for, a little wangling needed.

I can hardly say I need it unlike you. Mother in law has bad back and don't want my wife going the same way so having high car makes baby installation easy. The D2 was relatively cheap and I rationalised it with myself by saying we'll be going camping and perhaps a little off road exploring when kids are older. Unfortunately my wife has developed a Land Rover love affair, though she doesn have to lift the spanners

Post #141112620th Jan 2015 3:55 pm
Alan B

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

How did you get your D3 to use less fuel than your TD5?
Let me know the secret please Whistle

Keep the d2 for off-roading, stuff to tip etc and the D3 will no doubt end up as your mrs's runabout.

Both are great in their own ways.
D3 definitely a better drive, d2 cheaper to run
D3 better looking, d2 cheaper to fix
D3 too many mods to add on, d2 don't care about it being up to its neck in mud

The list could go on and on
I still have both, d2 workhorse and d3 was meant to replace it 2 years ago Rolling with laughter Whistle
 D3 57 xs Stornaway grey
D2 02 commercial silver gone but a great servant and won't be forgotten

Iid Bluetooth 

Post #141115020th Jan 2015 4:30 pm
doz

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

06/07 cars seem to have a few built in gremlins. The cambelt tensioner can break off the oil pump and ruin a perfectly good engine. If the belts have been done check to see if the oil pump was replaced. An early 06 may not suffer from this issue. Front diffs are common. My 07 reg but 08 model has lunched it at less than 65k miles. So carefully check for any unusual noise down by your feet when driving. Front lower arm bushes die early. At 70k I'd be surprised if they don't need doing. If it's a manual then the clutches can be fragile. You haven't mentioned what trim level it is? Might be some easy upgrades to turn on some nice features. All of the above bar the clutch have gone pop in 6 months of ownership plus a new battery. However it is still a very pleasant place to be and very very good at it's job which is towing which brings me to the last point. If it has a removable towbar it should be inspected to check it hasn't worn. However you can't at the moment as LR have withdrawn the service campaign and haven't reissued it. I'm sure they're are more points but can think right now. One thing I will add is prices of parts seem very reasonable if you know where to shop.

Post #141119420th Jan 2015 5:53 pm
CaptAwsm

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Secret to D3 using less fuel than D2 Td5? The D2 had a 2" lift and always seemed to chew through 13.5L/100km. D3 TDV6 varies from getting 12L/100km around town to 10L/100km on highway runs.

Ben.

Post #141224822nd Jan 2015 12:16 pm
irish nigel

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had an 03 td5 es, I thought it was a great car...then I got an 06 HSE. No comparison, different league altogether. Thumbs Up

Post #141697830th Jan 2015 12:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >