Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

My Discovery 3 SE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MattTheTall77

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
My Discovery 3 SE

Well finally getting round to starting a thread on my 54 Discovery 3 SE. After wanting one since they first came out, and missing out on one back in 2013 on here, I finally ended up with one in October. Was hesitant buying privately but seemed to have a good history and good spec. The owner said the wheel bearing was on it's way out so knew that would need doing.

So, booked it straight in at Lincoln land rover the following week for a free health check and quote for the wheel bearing, and nearly choked on the complimentary drink when they came back saying they can get it back to health for £3,684.56 Laughing

Turns out the rear diff was making the noise not the wheel bearing. Also the front arms were knocking, front rack arms excess play, nsr upper arm bushes, nsr upper hub bush.

After lots of great advice from Brian at Green Oval I dropped it off for the diff and gear linkage sorting, and it turned out the rear propshaft needed replacing too >.<

Decided to start gathering all the parts for a full suspension refresh (arms, arbs, track rods) and have it all done at once with the service in april/may. Have been picking up items on ebay and from Dan at Duckworths who has been very patient with lots of questions! Smile So far have all the front parts, and the rear upper arms from Dan. Will be getting the rest of the rears soon, bedroom looks like a garage parts dept!

More problems started appearing along the way...

A leak by the rear view mirror when parking facing downhill in rain, cheap solution was to park facing uphill! Seems ok on the flat too thankfully.

The centre fill speaker in the dash has an annoying rattle on some voice radio so will need replacing too.

The mirrors seem to return to different positions after folding, and the passenger seemed to decide not to dip when reversing, or sometimes to stick in dipped even when going forward. Adjusting the passenger mirror also doesn't move up and down anymore. Not sure if this is the switch, the memory module, the mirror itself, or if having the seat too far back has snagged a wire under the seat. I'm wondering if it'll be cheaper to get a new one from metal monster junk to swap over rather than have the carpet pulled up. The body control module is reporting faults for both mirrors, message of 'actuator stuck closed' and 'No operation'

A slight judder going uphill around 2k rpm at 30, on reading around it could be a number of things. According to the previous owner it had a mega flush just over a year ago. Will be trying Dr Tranny, and maybe swapping to the ZF metal sump while having the ATF fluid changed, have found the full kit on Advanced Factors. Failing that, I did wonder if the injectors may be a cause (more on those later), before maybe the torque converter. Fingers crossed for Dr Tranny!!

Anyway, had the car in for MOT with Green Oval last week which required the nsr upper arm to be fitted now rather than at the service, along with a NSR rosary bush, and had the fuel filter changed. I also had the injectors looked at as it is slightly rough.

The injector readings were:
Injector 1 (cylinder 1): 900.39
Injector 2 (cylinder 4): 847.81
Injector 3 (cylinder 2): 1394.81
Injector 4 (cylinder 5): 1077.58
Injector 5 (cylinder 3): 767.58
Injector 6 (cylinder 6): 766.15

There are fault codes for cylinders 3 and 6 fuel trim at minimum level, and cylinder 2 at maximum level. Also messages related to the EGR even though it's blanked off.

How much does it cost to get the injectors checked out? I did see the group buy Robbo set up so may look at changing them if needs be.

Other MOT advisories are the brake discs and pads will need changing soon (eyeing up the V8 upgrade on Advanced Factors), and the front to back brake pipes starting to corrode.

So, in the last four months it's been quite expensive, and a long list still to come of parts, then the service and fitting of everything, and software updates which are overdue! Oh and tyres before long! (duratracs current favourite)

All the wear and tear and issues has got in the way of buying the fun mods and toys! Smile Still loving the car, and now well into the wallet emptying ownership experience Thumbs Up

Again a big thanks to Brian at Green Oval, a top chap and a great garage. And to Dan at Duckworths for putting up with my many queries on parts, Brad at Yeovil, and to the forum for being such a great resource and reference to owners and prospective owners.

Anyway, quick pic this eve...

Post #143330125th Feb 2015 10:58 pm
MattTheTall77

Rear suspension arms, arb bushes and drop links, hub bushes, lower steering column, centre speaker all ordered.

And new issues arose, rear passenger lock doesn't always work so new lock assembly on the way. Also had a hdc fault system not available message flash up last night but nothing since, so may need to sort the battery out too shortly.

Post #143484428th Feb 2015 5:22 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

Wow what a few expensive wallet busting months you've had Bow down
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #143489028th Feb 2015 6:53 pm
MattTheTall77

Managed to get round to some basic work this weekend.

First up was fitting the Bosch battery, compared to the land rover one that came out it was huge! Only just fitted in with a bit of wiggling, and the negative clamp only just fitting under a wiring loom. As for getting the batter clamp back on, the hole nearest the wing was only part visible and took some force to push the battery over enough to start off getting it in.

The battery change over with I moved onto the centre fill speaker in the dash which had been annoying me for months with distortion and rattles.

Not much information out there about changing the speaker, it being called the 'centre fill speaker' probably doesn't help.

The part number is: XQM000400

The workshop manual has a nice simple diagram on how to take it off...

Was expecting a nice quick removal, turns out not! I was levering the grill with a flat screwdriver and even with serious force it wasn't shifting. Many a check of the diagram and hoping I wasn't going to snap the grill, the left side one finally popped out. One down, and turns out three more to go (diagram doesn't show four!)

The metal clips on the remaining grill mounts had caught in the sockets and would not come out alive, cue much swearing and coming close to ripping the dash off!

Here it is once the grill was out, arrows pointing to the mounting sockets...

And here is the grill itself...

and a close up of the pesky clips...

Removing the screws from the old speaker was very tight, not much room between the speaker and the windscreen. The sponge mount was very degraded and just fell apart...

Had some sticky pads so used those on the new speaker rim to add some padding, then popped the new speaker in...

Turned on the stereo and finally, music quality that you should expect from the system! Happy result, need to buy three more clips to sit the grill back in properly.

Post #144324415th Mar 2015 7:54 pm
Danni

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Looks like youve had some expensive months Sad but at least its sorted now

Post #144503819th Mar 2015 1:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >