Problem with resistor maybe ??? Now Sorted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Windowlicker

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Problem with resistor maybe ??? Now Sorted

Hi knowledgeable peeps,

Bit of background info first,
I noticed last year at some point that when I put the car in reverse, the n/s indicators( all three of them) would come on, obviously a bit odd, but I assumed it was something to do with the various led bulbs I had fitted to my headlights after de tangoing them.
I left them as they were as I am a thicko when it comes to all things electrickery, hence I didn't fit the resistors to cancel out the fast dash flash when fitting the bulbs .
Anyway, I recently bought a pair of the led reverse lights from Steve at AF, they came this morning so I popped out tonight to fit them after work, all fitted no problems, popped into reverse, yep, all good.

Walked away to go in the house, turned to lock the car and .........EH ! Wtf are my reverse lights flashing with the indicators for???!!
So now when locking , the indicators flash, so do my reverse bulbs, I then put the key in the car and indicated with the n/s, and the sodding reverse lights flash, did the o/s and no problem.
So I assumed this related to my original indicator on whilst in reverse problem, and ended removing the the reverse bulb reverting it back to standard.
Now after much Censored Censored and sulking I thought I would try fitting the original D3 rear n/s light back in place of the D4 units I have fitted, and lo and behold, my indicator on whilst in reverse problem is gone.

Now back to my original question, the D4 lights I bought new,with resistors fitted by the supplier.
If the one on the n/s unit was fitted incorrectly, ( can they be the wrong way around?) or if the resistor was faulty could this cause the problem.?
Lastly , as I am not bothered about the fast flash on dash, could I just remove the resistor entirely??

Many thanks, Thumbs Up
Nick
 Procrastination is the thief of time!! 

Last edited by Windowlicker on 23rd Feb 2014 12:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #124117222nd Feb 2014 8:07 pm
Windowlicker

Just had a thought, could the reason refitting my original D3 unit seemed to sort the indicator on in reverse problem be something to do with normal bulbs versus led resistance differences, rather than the fact the D4 lights might be the problem??

Thank ya.
Post #124124022nd Feb 2014 9:24 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
LED reverse lights - the white ones

I am not going to be helpful here but would you say that with your original D3 incandescent bulb tail lights reinstalled on both sides, that all is well again?

If it is, then I would try installing the LED backup lights in the original D3 tail lights and see if they work as they should. I would think they should but I ask that more for my benefit than yours. I was just about to order a couple of the white LED's to replace the OEM incandescent reverse bulbs so now I am wondering.

I was not planning on any resistors as I figure the backup circuit is not monitored by the CAN circuits as the signal light circuits are - hence the question - am I correct and that the LED backups work OK, no resistors etc.

If so, then in the D4 LED lights, I would be looking at the orientation of the wires powering the LEDs, yes within the assemblies it is factory, but I suspect something is backward on the side giving you the problems. It may be the factory wiring at the vehicle side connectors as it probably would not matter to the incandescent bulbs but would to the LEDs. A volt meter should work to check out the vehicle side connector terminals.

Also what do you have in the front for signal light/sidelight bulbs - LEDs? Regardless, LED or the OEM tungsten, the problem could be at the front or in the sidelight; I might be inclined to switch the front bulbs side to side and see if the problem switches sides or perhaps goes away.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #124132722nd Feb 2014 11:22 pm
Windowlicker

Hi bbyer,
Thanks for the reply Thumbs Up

With regards the led reverse lights, I believe no resistor is required, and on the for sale thread that Steve @ Advanced Factors started, many have purchased them and fitted with no issues as far as I am aware.

I have led indicator and sidelight bulbs fitted in my headlights ( no resistors fitted, as it am hopeless with such things Embarassed ) I did remove the N/S headlight tonight and remove the led bulbs, though I still had the side repeater in the wing and the rear lit up.
Having swapped the D4 led Light on the N/S to the original D3 unit, my problem of indicator on whilst in reverse vanished, hence my assumption that the rear light may be the problem, and as i thas already had a resistor fitted I just guessed that must be the weak link and is somehow the source of my problems .

I will have a bit more of a tinker with them tomorrow and report back.

Thanks again.

Nick
Post #124133722nd Feb 2014 11:36 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Sounds similar to this: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic106902.html
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #124133822nd Feb 2014 11:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Windowlicker

Thanks for the link Martin, I will take a look at the connections tomorrow also, though generally in life I don't seem to get simple fixes like a grotty earth contact.

Cheers Thumbs Up

Nick
Post #124134322nd Feb 2014 11:44 pm
Windowlicker

All sorted now, I removed the resistor that the suppliers had fitted, and indicator on when in reverse has gone, also re-fitted the led reverse light bulbs and they work as they should do now Very Happy

( obviously the fast flash on dash is there, but has been since I fitted led bulbs in the headlights without the resistors)

Thanks for the input bbyer and Martin Thumbs Up
Post #124153123rd Feb 2014 12:44 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Sounds like the resistors were wired between indicator and reverse rather than across the indicator only.
If you check which wires are which you can most probably wire the resistors back in correctly and recover the whole situation. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #124162023rd Feb 2014 3:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >