No problems at all
67%
 67%  [35]
Total Votes: 52

heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Reliability poll

Hi All

In light of recent issues posted by Deon and other D3 owner's not on this list I am beginning to have serious doubts about whether I should use my disco for over landing or stick to the defender . Although the defender has also had issues , it has always got my home barring one occasion , but even then I could get a tow home

Although I have added this to the Africa forum , I would also appreciate feedback from other members

Also please list the problems experienced

Thanks
Heine

Post #17852616th Jul 2007 11:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TiaanS

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

As a overlanding enthusiast and after a lot of research I decided on purchasing a Discovery 3, due to the off road performance and versatility as this met my lifestyle

Unfortunately I had my first taste of disappointment just 6 km after taking ownership of my new Disco 3, when my Disco had its first failure. Since then my list of problems are endless and I had one failure after another.

Summery of anomalies:

1. Throttle control unit failure.
2. Engin system failure – the wiring harness was replacement
3. Suspension errors – when on vacation in Botswana
4. System failure – the Petrol tank was replaced
5. Failure - Sensor replacement
6. Gearbox failure – new gearbox.
7. Suspension errors – New pump installed
8. CV joint rubber – to be replaced tomorrow

Hope it gets better... as i just love it

Post #17860616th Jul 2007 3:22 pm
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Heine

I am sitting with exact thoughts. As you know the D3 has a superb ride ito of comfort, safety and speed (although I am not a speed freak). I the past 8 years of doing probably 20 mild trips and 5 serious ones I did not get stranded once in the bush or even outside Gauteng in my present Defender and previous TDI. Only once did I went on a low bed after front prop shaft universal broke.

We never do serious trips alone and we have a group of excellent friends (co-travellers) who will stick together no matter what. During the week-end we started planning a serious overland trip for next year. All my friends were totally shocked when I informed them that I will be travelling with the D3 and not Defender. The conversation immediately went in the direction of recovering the D3 and making sure that a strong enough vehicle will be without trailer to do the towing. This is not recovering once stuck off-road, but when electronics, suspension, etc fails. This was no joking either - they know I am used to Land Rover bashing.

So - we all know any vehicle can break down - but thousands km from home, not being able to tow auto long distances, not being able to repair in bush even if you have spares - so fly in technician , etc, etc.

Not only because of my recent mishap - even with the fault one can maintain 120km/h with no problem and off-road will not be problem at all, but serious off-roading ? I have my doubts.

Post #17861816th Jul 2007 3:35 pm
Deondef

TiaanS

How much does LR pay you to remain loyal to the vehicle ?? Bow down Shocked

Do you have petrol or diesel model ??

I am quite adament that if they do not sort this one problem on my new D3 (now 7000km's) , I will get rid of it.

Post #17862616th Jul 2007 3:42 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Although I voted 'problem was fixable' to be fair it was a blocked fuel filter and therefore wasn't Disco3 specific.
4500 mile round trip to Morrocco, wouldn't want to do it in anything else 8)
The only other Disco3 to have a problem was also fixed in country (damaged air pipe) with a repair connector and a fair amount of San Miguel Wink

Post #17862816th Jul 2007 3:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Richard SA

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

No Major problems in the D3 Very Happy plenty in one of the 3 DII. Evil or Very Mad

My concerns are:

The unavailability of a spares kit should you want to go overland
The lack of knowledge from the dealer / workshop that parts have changed from one year model to the next (Deon's fuel filter is a good one)
Some D3 owners have just fun and then there are those that just have s- -t is there a quality problem?
What is the process to tow a D3 some dealers say you should not you will damage the gearbox, other say it will be ok if you put it in neutral, some are honest enough and say I don’t know. In the DII you put the gearbox in neutral and the transfer case and you fine. (solid tow bar to be used)

As a support manger from LR said “ if you want to go over land rather take a car with a engine than a car with a computer” Whistle

I am in two minds about it all, the rule of thumb is: Don’t exceed your, the vehicle or the environments ability and you should be fine. Bow down

Well if we honest we all know what our own ability is. The problem is what is the D3’s ability? It is capable of all sorts of amazing things yet we don’t know how often it can do it before you are approaching that invisible boundary where it all goes for a boll of s__t. Big Cry

Then there is also the often used statement “ if the D3 fails it will get you home at least in limp mode” Dhuu 620km north of Komatipoort this is a Censored ludicrous idea.

Heine this is a good idea lets see what the rating / concerns are Thumbs Up
 White LR3 TDV6 2007  
Post #17867616th Jul 2007 5:09 pm
heine

According to the manual you can tow for a max distance of 90 km . Not really going to get you out of the Censored is it . Wonder if you can disconnect the prop shafts for longer distances. ( I had to get towed from North of Xai- Xai - distance of over 950 km)

Post #17868816th Jul 2007 5:45 pm
heine

Another question - how serviceable is a TD5 in the bush . Seems to me (not having owned one) that it was also maybe too electronic for overlanding . But that didn't seem to stop anyone . Are we maybe being too prone to bitching and won't Censored happen with any of the newer vehicles around ....

Damn I just can't stop being loyal to LR products Very Happy Bow down

Post #17869316th Jul 2007 5:50 pm
Deondef

Sorry - last sentence in my posting should read serious "overlanding" and not serious "of-roading" - I am convinced that the D3 is awesome in off-road capability.

10forcash - can you give us more detail on your fuel filter issue ? I cannot agree that it is not a D3 problem. If this is a serious overland vehicle then filter should handle a fair amount of dirty fuel and/or make it easier to replace filter in the bush.

Post #17886117th Jul 2007 8:19 am
heine

Is there any way of adding an additional filter in-line before the main one . Is this line a high or low pressure one . I assume low ?

Post #17886717th Jul 2007 8:39 am
TiaanS

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Deon, Yes I know, been gatvol so many times, but I still love the Disco, don't ask me why...

Post #17888917th Jul 2007 9:27 am
coala

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Wow – its sounds bad – and really saddens me to read so many bad experiences or concerns Big Cry . For what is an awesome vehicle – one would have though a little more interaction from LR SA would have attempted to address some of our concerns more proactively. Censored These things are expensive – so give a little help to your friends LR SA.

LR SA : By the way – we bought it to use it what is was designed to do – 4x4 and overland – unless that’s not what you want us to use it for. In which case it should read "best pretender by far". We do not do the bling and the drop suspension. We want it reliable and slightly higher – at speeds up to 80 or 90.

But I regress, I have done one serious trip (down river beds and the like) in Namibia and was very happy with the new Disco. Dirt road stability is a major plus for this car – as is its offroad ability and diesel consumption. My gripe lies with two fixable and one Censored problem. These are the stock tyres (will shortly fit BFs), access to the spare wheel (will shortly resolve that too) and the damn ride height at speeds in excess of 40 (which I am banging my head about).

As to reliability mine is a 2005 model with 76 000 on the clock. Maybe state your model and year when you post – maybe there are problems with specific models or years.

Post #17892517th Jul 2007 10:55 am
heine

I think that I'm going to send these results to LRSA when done . I know Baben has made contact with them but not too sure how far he got

Post #17893917th Jul 2007 11:54 am
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'll vote after I get back from a 3 week tour to Botswana in September. My baby better not let me down as I'm going with two Cruisers, and have already offered to tow them if required Twisted Evil

Post #17894517th Jul 2007 12:15 pm
heine

Wow you know how to pick your fights Thumbs Up

Post #17895017th Jul 2007 12:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >