Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Bigger Brakes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Bigger Brakes

Just decided to start a new thread for this topic, as previous discussion was hidden away in a wheel thread!

Anyway, as most of you are aware, the V8 D3 has bigger brake discs than the V6 or TDV6. It was said here that it was just a simple matter of swapping discs and nothing else was different. So, I went and got the bigger discs, only to find that it wasn't that simple, and that the caliper anchor plate is different as well, which makes sense, as how else would the bigger discs fit!

So anyway, parts needed to improve your D3s brakes (will put in the part numbers when I look them up - there are different anchor brackets for 07MY on D3s!):
1 x pair of V8 front discs -
1 x pair of V8 rear discs -
1 x pair of front caliper anchor brackets -
1 x pair of rear caliper anchor brackets -

I've got all the bits to do the front ones - will be getting the bits to do the rear ones in the next week or two.

Today I managed to get one of my front discs changed before it came raining heavily so I've abandoned further work for the day, but I did manage to take some pictures!

The only difficult bit I found was loosening the bolts that hold on the caliper anchor. I eventually had to turn the steering fully, so that I could attach a 3ft piece of pipe to the end of my rachet in order to get enough leverage to loosen them, as they're tightened to ~ 250nm.

Original disc and caliper bracket:

Another shot of the original setup:

New caliper anchor bracket and bigger disc mounted:

Caliper attached to new anchor bracket - look at how shiny it is! Wink

The end result;
Click image to enlarge

Remember that if you do this, then you will not be able to fit 17" wheels!
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #18015820th Jul 2007 3:47 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Thumbs Up Nice job, Brendan Very Happy
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #18016220th Jul 2007 4:03 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

8)

Good to know in a world of must go faster, someone wants to stop too Thumbs Up
Bow down Bow down
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #18016420th Jul 2007 4:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Brendan Good Post . Thumbs Up

I was playing around with the idea of uprating the stopper's on the Disco , I looked at performace pads
But some of the forums I was reading didnt rate EBC breakes (problems with vibrations and noise)
I have been there done that before on other cars that i had so did not want the same on the Disco.

This though has my attention , Very Happy would be interested to hear how you find them once you have them all
installed also an Idea of the Euro's required

While were on the topic , what is the difference between the TDV6 Disco breaking system and
the RRS TDV6 system. I have always fround the RRS system way better than the Disco
and would love to have it on my D3.

Good Work Brendan.

Post #18017020th Jul 2007 4:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Fair do's Brendan.When I saw them at your place I thought that it was a lost cause , where theres a will theres a way

Post #18017120th Jul 2007 4:42 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Nice job Brendan Thumbs Up ...can you outline the benefits and do you know what improvements are to be had in braking distance?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #18017720th Jul 2007 4:53 pm
bkehoe

The cost of doing it is debatable - depends on whether you could do with new discs or not! Wink My old discs were getting quite worn, and would probably have been due for replacement in under 10k miles, so the only 'extra' cost I had was the cost of the new anchor brackets, which are approx €40 each - €80 for a pair.

The V8 discs are approx 20mm bigger, so the difference should be noticable, even with just the front ones changed. I didn't go out for a drive in mine today as I've only got one side changed, but hopefully if it's fine tomorrow I'll get the other one done.

I don't think the RRS braking system is any different to the D3. The difference is probably noticable due to the weight difference - the RRS can be up to approx 200KG lighter I think.

The other thing you could do Barry is fit the Brembo brakes from the RRS. I don't see any reason why this isn't possible, as I've heard of a few people retrofitting them to their sports with standard brakes. Only problem with them is the smallest wheels you can fit are 19"!

Post #18018020th Jul 2007 4:59 pm
bkehoe

Don't have any specific figures DG - have LR ever pubished any figures comparing the 60-0 times for the V8 and TDV6?

Benefits would invlude better stopping distance from high speeds, a bit sharper response, and less fade if braking for long periods of time, e.g. on a hill descent or while towing.

Post #18018120th Jul 2007 5:02 pm
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That's really interesting on your upgrade for the brakes BKEHOE. Is it really as simple as changing to the larger disc and caliper anchor bracket? Did you use the existing D3 caliper or have to change that as well? The reason I ask is that I am just about to order replacement discs and pads but would love to upgrade (if its a reasonably OK job to do for an enthusiast). One final question, did you just ask for the kit for the D3 V8 or go to a non LR supplier.
Cheers Very Happy
Duncan

Last edited by jollybodger on 20th Jul 2007 5:13 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #18018220th Jul 2007 5:03 pm
bkehoe

jolly, the calipers, pads, etc are identical. I did a thorough root through microcat with the parts guy at the local LR dealers to be 100% sure that nothing else was different.

I got the discs cheap on ebay, but you can easily just walk into your local LR dealer and get them to order the discs and anchor brackets.

Just be aware that there are 2 different part numbers for the anchor brackets - one for vehicles up to some point in 2006, and the other for anything after then - the dealers system will show the VIN range so you can be sure.

Post #18018520th Jul 2007 5:08 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Sad .......... Just re-read your post and its not possible for 17 inchers like me Big Cry

Post #18018820th Jul 2007 5:12 pm
jollybodger

BKEHoe,
Having a bad today so my apologies for the question. If you have increased the disc size but used your original calipers the amount of braking ability would be the same wouldn't it? Is the V8 caliper a larger beast than the D3 caliper?
Cheers
Duncan

Post #18019320th Jul 2007 5:19 pm
bkehoe

V8 front discs: SDB000614 - €51.42+VAT each retail (approx £35). Being sold on ebay for £50.50 for a pair
V8 rear discs: SDB000646 - €58.77+VAT each retail (approx £40). Being sold on ebay for £56.40 for a pair

I wonder what would Nick be able to do them for? I'd expect 10 - 15% off locally.

Also of interest is that there have been 3 different part numbers for the V8 discs (the above numbers are the newest ones I think), different depending on the vehicle age based on VIN number. I don't think it'd make any difference on the front, but it may possibly make a difference on the back due to the EPB, so probably best to order the correct ones for your vehicle to be sure. I've chanced getting the ones above as they were on ebay, so will soon know if there's any problems with them!

jolly, as I've said several times, the calipers are identical - exactly the same, no different, same part number, etc.
As for the improvement, it's physics, law of the lever, etc, as well as greater heat dissipation Smile

Last edited by bkehoe on 20th Jul 2007 5:29 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #18019420th Jul 2007 5:20 pm
bkehoe

Discowex wrote:
Sad .......... Just re-read your post and its not possible for 17 inchers like me Big Cry

Ah but you can use that as an excuse to get bigger wheels Laughing

Post #18019520th Jul 2007 5:23 pm
jollybodger

Yes bkeHoe you did! Embarassed , I did say it's a bad day here. Patients turning up late, and as ever want ia list of complaints an arm long sorted in 10mins and all by yesterday.
Cheers
Duncan

Post #18020020th Jul 2007 5:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >