Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Air suspension average 24hr height loss 40mm+, next steps?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Brodeh

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Air suspension average 24hr height loss 40mm+, next steps?

Hello

New here, recently bought a 2005 Disco 3 4.0l V6 Petrol as a weekend car to see a bit more of Australia. Already had heaps of fun in it and am very pleased overall. I've thrown a few $k at it in the last few months as I intend to keep it and have brought it back to almost mint mechanical condition.

The main job left now is the air suspension. I park in my underground garage in access mode so don't notice day to day, but when left somewhere tall enough I've been pulling f35 to disable the auto levelling and on average it drops 60mm on the front passenger side and 40mm on the other three corners.

Based on the posts I've read I'm thinking about servicing my valve blocks first, then reassess its height loss and maybe fit a pair of front struts. If that doesn't cure it I'll treat it to all four, but I was trying to make sure I wasn't spending money for the sake of it.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences of if I'm going about this the right way?

Thanks

Brodie

Post #14987608th Jul 2015 1:27 pm
    View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
    Barn1e
    D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Is it worth trying to find a diagram of the air suspension. I dont know enough about self leveling when engine is turned off. Would one corner cause the others to adjust down to try to catch up until they reach a certain height at which they stop lowing whilst the leaky corner carries on?

Have you tried listening for an air leak from the front passenger corner or along the pipework back to the vale block? Soapy water on the pipe junctions may show a leak.
     2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
    Post #14989328th Jul 2015 8:30 pm
    Ginner

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Try the soloniod valves, the are prone to leaking? J

Last edited by Ginner on 11th Jul 2015 9:08 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
    Post #14989918th Jul 2015 9:53 pm
    kastone

Germany 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Remove Fuse 26 in the Engine Bay. Without power the EAS can't self leveling the Discovery which happens two hours after switching off the engine and every six hours afterwards. Then you will hopefully see which suspension unit has a leakage.

Klaus
     Klaus Nahr - discovery3.de
    Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE 

Post #14993439th Jul 2015 6:18 pm
    Brodeh

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks Guys. Sorry, I obviously wasn’t clear!

I've already removed the fuses and it’s not auto levelling.

It loses that amount of air on all four corners with the fuses removed. Within three days with no fuses all four corners are on the bump stops!

Post #14995179th Jul 2015 11:42 pm
    kastone

Germany 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

F35P is the "Ignition On" Signal to the EAS ECU and this stops auto leveling when the Ignition is On. Removing the Fuse F35 would most likely result in Auto Levelling when the car is running (not sure if the ECU evaluates the CAN-Bus Messages too to stop auto levelling.)

To Stop Auto Levelling you have to unpower the EAS by removing Fuse 26E in the Engine Bay or disconnect the Battery or use e.g. IIDTool to disable the EAS ECU.

Klaus
     Klaus Nahr - discovery3.de
    Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE 

Post #149958910th Jul 2015 9:19 am
    kingrover

United States 

Was having similar "settling" overnight with mine. New front and rear valve blocks did the trick. Didn't even drop after sitting for over a week in the airport car park recently.

Post #149975810th Jul 2015 3:57 pm
    ostland

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I also had similar issues, and upon replacing the front and rear valve blocks the symptom dissapeared. Was told that earlier MYs often have this issue. I would look at these first before focusing on the front passenger suspension.

Post #150101313th Jul 2015 11:00 am
    scooby driver

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Had a similar issue replaced front valve block but it turned out to be a split in the dryer on the compressor for some reason this appears to lower the car overnight - its not perfect now but its so much better and the D3 fart noise is back Very Happy

Post #150702426th Jul 2015 11:01 am
    Post Reply Back to top
    Page 1 of 1
    Jump to:  
    Previous Topic | Next Topic >