Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

D3 Electrics and Water...solutions?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
D3 Electrics and Water...solutions?

I discovered that the electronics and electrics of most cars should have a conformal coating:

http://www.echeloninc.com/conformalcoating.htm

The manufactured components of the D3 would have been coated in manufacture, however the problems appear to be with the conectors put together on the production line. I am assuming they do not have a conformal coating.

Maybe LR should be protecting these connectors by a spray coating on production?

But a solution may be using one of these products after market?
Which product would be best?
Which connectors need protecting?

Here are some products I found:

http://www.computronics.com.au/electrolube/concoat/
http://www.action-electronics.com/lubricants.htm#Conformal
http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bin/scri...Spray/16/1
http://www.protectmarine.net/

Any other ideas as to what to use and how to clean the connectors?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #18268626th Jul 2007 12:06 pm
SKP

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I sprayed under my D3 with a mixture of Lanlin and Fishoil (both available from "Supercheap" and "Bunnings") that I mixed up myself and applied using one of those garden pressure sprayers. DON'T do it on your driveway,
It forms a nice waxy coating that certainly protected the plugs that I could see ! (Refer "MY D3 Died)

Post #18302926th Jul 2007 9:57 pm
caverD3

Electrical connections will need to b e sevicable afterwards andf respayed if dealer plays with them. Lanolin and fish oil would work well but could be messy?

Anyone any ideas where the vulnerable points are so thwy could be targeted?

Thinking of using this:
http://www.crcind.com.au/catalogue.nsf/(TDS)/2043%20TDS//TDS.pdf
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #18375929th Jul 2007 3:22 am
adara

Romania 

Wouldn't the amazing WD-40 help?

Post #18376829th Jul 2007 7:50 am
caverD3

The solvents in WD40 corode electrical connectors Sad a encapulating solution is needed.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #18377129th Jul 2007 8:12 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Waxoyl

I will no doubt be instantly corrected....but try Waxoyl Professional 120-4 Aerosol - I have used this on both car & industrial electrical connections it doesn't wash off easily if at all & that includes regular hosing
I cant recall seeing Waxoyl being stocked/sold in your city car accessory stores but it must be available somewhere in the "West Island"
Waxoyl isn't as readily flammable as WD (& WD is very flammable DONT EXPERIMENT) - however if you have to solder anything that has been near it will have to be fluxed or solvent cleaned.
Kluber also make a similar spray (very costly) - I will try to get the product code
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #18377729th Jul 2007 8:47 am
disco4x4au

Australia 
Re: Waxoyl

BLFarrar wrote:
I will no doubt be instantly corrected....but try Waxoyl Professional 120-4 Aerosol - I have used this on both car & industrial electrical connections it doesn't wash off easily if at all & that includes regular hosing
I cant recall seeing Waxoyl being stocked/sold in your city car accessory stores but it must be available somewhere in the "West Island"
Waxoyl isn't as readily flammable as WD (& WD is very flammable DONT EXPERIMENT) - however if you have to solder anything that has been near it will have to be fluxed or solvent cleaned.
Kluber also make a similar spray (very costly) - I will try to get the product code

Waxoyl is available from RS Products - in Australia, ph 1300 656 636

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #1852382nd Aug 2007 7:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

When I can get her on a hoist I am going to wash the electrical connectors with detergent and water (spayed) then clean with 'Servisol' Electronic cleaning solvent ( no residue ) and finally coat with 'CRC Plasticoat 70' clear protective laquer.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #1852392nd Aug 2007 7:14 am
caverD3

Back from dealer. This is what they found:

Does it make sense to anyone? TFC? Can we tell which connectors were affected from these?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

There is another image I haven't managed to download.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #1852472nd Aug 2007 7:56 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Without wanting to go over old ground what makes you think there's vulnerable electrical connectors on the D3?
This was discussed many times on here when the D3 first came out, despite some members worst fears just because you can see a what appears to be an exposed electrical connector it's not automatically a weak spot. There probably has been a few issues as the result of poor connections but they aren't common
 The End  
Post #1852852nd Aug 2007 9:48 am
caverD3

These faults occured in the middle of a creek crossing.
Engine seemed like it went ito safe mode and these messages appeared.
That is what makes me think Faults directly associated with contact with water.
Also see My D3 died:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic12726.html
If I had stopped in the middle of the crossing things could have been serious.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #1853602nd Aug 2007 2:20 pm
caverD3

started sealing connectors

done these ones:

Using this:

Ernest Hemmingway

Post #18775010th Aug 2007 5:14 am
caverD3

Spoke to the dealer about this. They said the rear diff module is part of the transmission module. It is located behind the battery, the black box with a couple of rubber conduits entering the top.
They said that it is not waterproof and have had to replace some after a jet wash of the engine bay.
It would appear this is the one that gave the trouble when the 4x4 mag had the failure.
It is not watertight but is fairly out of the way. If I have another failure I will look at waterproofing the box it is in, but when warranty runs out.....they cost $400
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #1980811st Sep 2007 11:45 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Jet washing the engine bay I would imagine is a pretty brutal way of cleaning things out.

I've waded fairly deep in very brown water and my engine bay is more or less clean - how deep have you been wading and how fast / slow have you been driving ?

Post #1980871st Sep 2007 11:55 pm
caverD3

Crossed the Kowmung River is fairly high conditions. The water was at a height I had crossed in D2 before without a problem. Bottom had been washed out just before the exit and front wheels fell into it. Water to bottom of bonnet (no water over bonnet) steady pace until warnings started.
Engine fault then transmission fault, engine revs dropped and she crawled slowly out the other side, (accompanied by much boinging). Stopped, special programs off, engine idling ok but would not rev. Switched off, started again.
Engine recovered faults disappeared carried on EPB fault, special programs off. Got to top of slope and after being off and locked all faults gone and did not reappear.
The dealer said they had had some of the transmission modules go and the box they are in is not watertight.
SKP was told his Electronic Diff Module had water in it which caused complete failure, despite it not seeing water for 600km. Confused There is however some confusion as to where this is. When I asked my dealer they said it is part of the transmission control module.
The module is behind the battery and well protected so I cannot see it being directly hit by a gurney. But the dealer said this has been the cause of some failures.
It would appear there is an issue with water ingress, let's seeif we can find out how and where it happens.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #1981222nd Sep 2007 6:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >