Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Sankey Camping Trailer Build
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Iguana

Ukraine 

Quote:
If you have no welding experience then I would stick to something easier ... You wouldn't want half a trailer comming apart on the motorway !
Whistle

My super duper Mark 2 Welding is holding out so far (Thanks to Uncle Ray advice Thumbs Up )
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #151456511th Aug 2015 7:42 pm
alfamale

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Another question/request:

Bearing in mind that, if possible, I want to build on what already exists when I collect the trailer, does anyone have the basic dimensions for the Sankey narrow track trailer and tub?

I'm looking for something like this, but believe the one below is for the wide track:

Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

Post #151524813th Aug 2015 4:26 pm
alfamale

So, the trailer is safely parked up at home, the hitch receiver arrived today and Ray has been working his magic on a NATO adapter for me.

Tonight's task, in readiness for two nights away next weekend, was to get the RT off the car and onto the trailer. I found an old set of Mont Blanc roof bars that fitted perfectly to the 25mm tubing that makes up the current framework, carefully ( Whistle ) cut the tarp around the mounting brackets and the RT slid effortless from the top of the car to the trailer. All now secure and in place, albeit I'm expecting a very different camping experience on leaf springs compared to the comfort and security of the D4's suspension!!! Shocked

Obviously that's not it for the Sankey. A long way to go, but at least I get to enjoy a weekend away with the kids and dog next weekend.

Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

Post #152095027th Aug 2015 9:46 pm
alfamale

Can any of you Sankey boys help?

Used the trailer at the weekend to help move some bits about and, in the process, managed to break most of the rear brake/indicator lenses and mounts.

Does anyone have any they're willing to part with or know somewhere I can get replacements? It's a very early trailer, Mk2 possibly even Mk1 apparently.

Might also take the opportunity to replace the wiring and fit 13pin electrics.

Post #159509418th Jan 2016 12:28 pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

What you've got there is an early narrow track, probably 1/2 tonne, designed to be towed by Series Land Rovers. The MkI, II, etc. only applies to the later Wide Track versions that were brought in to match the track widths of the then new 90, and 110's.

The lights on yours are standard military waterproof units as fitted to military Land Rovers of the time. They're still relatively easy to find at ex-mil dealers and probably eBay. You could probably fit standard Land Rover units in the same holes, although I'm not sure how well protected the rears would be under the trailer.
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #159511618th Jan 2016 1:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alfamale

Hi Darren

The rear of the units are not well protected at all. I did find these http://www.thexmod.com/item_detail.asp?id=311 but wasn't sure if they'd do.

Thanks for shedding some light on the subject though Rolling Eyes

Thumbs Up

Post #159515018th Jan 2016 2:03 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I don't know if it is the angle of the photo but your lamps seem to be mounted rather low. Correct ones should have water proof type with screw in glass lenses, all made by Lucas. See http://www.thexmod.com/item_detail.asp?id=8994 The ones you mention have the advantage of being fairly cheap should they get damaged

Post #159515618th Jan 2016 2:07 pm
alfamale

The angle doesn't help tbh. This side profile is better but doesn't show the lights themselves off any better:

Post #159516518th Jan 2016 2:16 pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The ones that L319 has linked to are the correct ones. To be honest though, unless you're particularly concerned about originality, I'd be tempted to bolt on some standard surface mounted trailer light units. You'll obviously have to measure up and find the right ones to fit in the space.
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #159520618th Jan 2016 2:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alfamale

Thank you both. Much appreciated. Thumbs Up

Post #159521018th Jan 2016 2:59 pm
alfamale

Treated myself as it's my 40th in a few days time, so just taken delivery of my TT-H2 wrap around awning from Tuff-Trek. Great service from Dara and Lucy.

Can't wait to reposition the TT-02 roof tent on the Sankey and get the awning mounted too. It's all coming together, but could do with a low-cost, durable rack to sit on top of the trailer though!!!

Thumbs Up

Post #161602325th Feb 2016 4:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >