Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

8 speed really worth an extra £7k?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
oop north

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

I was set on getting an 8 speed but instead for several grand less got a 2010 6-speed. Not had any experience yet to make me think it was worth spending a load more - even though I had in my searches originally been set on getting an 8 speed

Post #153057916th Sep 2015 7:27 pm
motolite

Australia 

For £37K I'll sell you my MY 13 with 50K km. Plus you get a long range tank, bullbar/winch, rear wheel carrier. It's 8 speed and goes like a dream. Does not include delivery Whistle

Pony up for the 8 speed. Thumbs Up

Post #153059016th Sep 2015 7:37 pm
J77

Scotland 

The £7k gets you more than an 8 speed box. If they were both 12MY then perhaps not worth it.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #153065416th Sep 2015 8:57 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Just to bring this one back up, I have a set budget which will buy a 2009 HSE, 2010-11 XS or a 2012 8 speed GS. All on 60k-ish

So is the 8 speed box worth losing out on other features that can't be added later on? Obviously things like fog lamps, cruise, front PDC can be added for reasonable price, Xenons can be added, and leather/sat nav can be added at a high price.

Not bothered about sunroofs.

Can't increase budget, buying a caravan too Thumbs Up
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #154900222nd Oct 2015 7:18 pm
vroomvroom

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

£37k Shocked

I sold my wife's high spec 61 plate (MY12 8 speed) XS (40k mikes) - for £25k

Post #154909822nd Oct 2015 9:50 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

8 speed and all that goes with it is worth having...decision time for you

Post #154918923rd Oct 2015 1:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I've only driven one 8 speed and own a 6 speed D4 so I'll qualify what I say with that first. I thought that the 8 speed I tried was a resoundingly better drive than the 6 speed.

However, if your budget is absolutely fixed I think you are right to be asking the question, personally I couldn't drive round in a base spec D4 no matter how much better the gearbox was. Perhaps you should have a good drive in both to make your mind up?

Other than the gearbox itself there is little difference between them so I'm not sure what the "all that goes with it" reference means. The only significant differences between MY10 and MY12 are 10 more bhp (negligible and not really noticeable), improved infotainment system (although some say slower nav - but you won't have nav on a MY12 GS anyway) and of course a vastly improved gearbox.

I'm not knocking that the 8 speed is a significantly better driveline and indeed drive than the 6 speed - it of course is. But if you absolutely cannot stretch the budget I'd always go with a higher spec 6 than a poverty spec 8.

Just my opinion of course Smile

Post #154946623rd Oct 2015 2:44 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

J@mes wrote:
Just to bring this one back up, I have a set budget which will buy a 2009 HSE, 2010-11 XS or a 2012 8 speed GS. All on 60k-ish

So is the 8 speed box worth losing out on other features that can't be added later on? Obviously things like fog lamps, cruise, front PDC can be added for reasonable price, Xenons can be added, and leather/sat nav can be added at a high price.

Not bothered about sunroofs.

Can't increase budget, buying a caravan too Thumbs Up

1. Buy a cheaper caravan
2. Use the D3 to tow, save, buy 8 speed HSE later when prices and savings have made up the difference

Thumbs Up
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #154947323rd Oct 2015 2:50 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

discoteca wrote:
I've only driven one 8 speed and own a 6 speed D4 so I'll qualify what I say with that first. I thought that the 8 speed I tried was a resoundingly better drive than the 6 speed.

However, if your budget is absolutely fixed I think you are right to be asking the question, personally I couldn't drive round in a base spec D4 no matter how much better the gearbox was. Perhaps you should have a good drive in both to make your mind up?

Other than the gearbox itself there is little difference between them so I'm not sure what the "all that goes with it" reference means. The only significant differences between MY10 and MY12 are 10 more bhp (negligible and not really noticeable), improved infotainment system (although some say slower nav - but you won't have nav on a MY12 GS anyway) and of course a vastly improved gearbox.

I'm not knocking that the 8 speed is a significantly better driveline and indeed drive than the 6 speed - it of course is. But if you absolutely cannot stretch the budget I'd always go with a higher spec 6 than a poverty spec 8.

Just my opinion of course Smile

Thanks for the reply - I'm not too worried about the poverty spec side of things as the things I would want (front PDC, fogs, cruise, leather etc) could be added for about £1500, but nice things like the Sat Nav, higher spec audio, electric seats, are a lot more expensive but not really essentials for me.

My D3 was an 05 SE and a great spec, I have an Amarok Highline now which also has a great spec (Leather, nav, heated seats, bluetooth, F&R parking sensors etc) But to be honest its just not the car for me.

Dubbs - sold the D3 after falling out of love with it a year ago

Not buying a cheaper van, only looking at the £6-7K range anyway as its our first van and we don't know how much we'll get to use it.

Budgets are fixed due to renovating our house and trying to pay off the mortgage around 15 years earlier than planned.

Think I need to drive both and see. I've just had a 6 speed DSG VW as a loan car while my amarok was in for work and it was bliss compared to the clunky agricultural manual box on that.

Maybe I should only drive the 6 speed and save the 8 speed for when more of the mortgage is paid off?

Confused

Rolling with laughter

Cars. Why do we have to like them so much?!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #154955723rd Oct 2015 4:39 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

James, go for the 8 speeder. It's only money and you'd just spend it on something else. Thumbs Up

Post #154956123rd Oct 2015 4:45 pm
hc76

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

In my opinion, having owned both, 6-speed or 8-speed wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. The 8-speed is definitely a bit smoother but I don't think there is anything wrong with the 6-speed.
 2016 D4 Landmark - Waitomo/Ebony
2012 D4 HSE - Orkney/Almond - gone
2009 D4 XS - Buckingham/Ebony - gone 

Post #154959423rd Oct 2015 5:33 pm
dubbs

I found the 8 speed a revelation - not sure if that's because it was so musher newer that many of the other "rough" spots had also been cured or not.

I'd say go 8 speed and taker that with a couple of years worth of updates and improvements with it... better than going for an older, 6 speed just for the sake of a few bits you can retrofit yourself later anyway.
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #154964123rd Oct 2015 7:15 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

As I said in response to an earlier post, what are these "couple of years worth of updates and improvements" you speak of? That is part of the problem for James, between 10 an 12 MY, other than the gearbox there really aren't any; pretty much everything else is the same.

Post #154983424th Oct 2015 1:18 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

stick wrote:
I have now done 12k in an 8 speed after 112k in a 6, and I wouldn't pay any more money for the 8. What I gained in smoothness at higher speeds I lost at lower, as it gets caught in the wrong gear. And the mpg is worse.

Take it back to dealers as there must be a fault with it, 8 speed much better perfomrnace and power all round.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #154984624th Oct 2015 7:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dubbs

Honestly I don't know the exact changes but year on year LR have altered specs and updated software, mapping etc.,

I would expect the 8 speed to have ecu updates etc., not sure when the infotainment upgrades happened but my friend's system is pretty slow and looks very different to later models.

I suppose it would need a helpful soul to do topix research to find the complete list.
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #155000724th Oct 2015 2:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >