DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Removing shank of 10mm nut when changing brake hoses
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Removing shank of 10mm nut when changing brake hoses

I like to plan ahead when doing jobs, so I have been getting ready to change my flexible brake hoses. There are two 10mm nuts that hold the pipe in position.

Having looked at the corrosion on the head of the nut, I would not be surprised if the head sheared off when I use my Irwin extractor on it. That will leave the shank screwed in the pace where I need to fit a new one. I have been dousing with WD40, but think the corrosion may be too severe.

I can see Draper do the sort of thing I am looking for, but what else do folks use? Is draper any good?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Expert-4585...+extractor

For this particular job, should I plan to drill out the entire thread and retap the hole to say 12mm? If so, any recommendations on tapping kit?

Many thanks in advance
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #15395534th Oct 2015 7:08 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

If my memory serves (and it may not) it is not a blind hole so I think I just the drilled the shank out from front to back, so no need to re-tap.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #15395604th Oct 2015 7:19 pm
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Assuming its the front ones just had a quick look at mine, it's bolted in the top arm and there is no hole above it.

There is a mounting tab on the hose that hooks into the arm and it's then bolted. I would be inclined to try and break the tab off of the hose which would allow some space to some heat from blowlamp on to the bolt hole.

The lower one bolts throught the stub axle and looks like it has a hut on the back so shouldn't be an issue.(I suspect this is not original though)

I guess mine may have already been done at some point though
 IID PRO
MSV Extreme
Nanocom One 

Post #15395774th Oct 2015 7:40 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The upper one in the arm is unlikely to shear, but as noted, it can be very corroded and difficult to remove

The lower one into the hub is most likely to snap, and can be drilled out and a longer bolt and nut refitted to secure Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #15396244th Oct 2015 8:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Thanks at armalites and Mikey. I will make sure I have long bolts and nuts ready.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #15397274th Oct 2015 10:17 pm
DDDad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Someone posted a great tip on here:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic130835....e+spanners
With the vehicle on axle stands, use the jack to raise the suspension arms to improve access to these bolts. Wish I'd seen it before I did mine! Rolling Eyes

Machine Mart do a wide range of VFM tap & die sets:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/search/...ory/page/1
The 28 piece one has worked fine for me. So far, touch wood, I've only ever had to chase the threads, never oversize and re-tap. Thumbs Up
 Went for a job as a human cannonball. Not the right calibre.  
Post #15397534th Oct 2015 11:16 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would avoid the cheap tapered easy outs as all they do is swell the stud in the hole and make it harder to get out, if its just snapped and not corroded they may work.

Post #15397574th Oct 2015 11:41 pm
MGCarr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

+1 for lynalldiscovery's comments regarding tapered easy outs, they are c Censored p - this might sound a bit strange but you can buy left hand rotation steel drill bits and I have found that just drilling the stud with a left handed drill bit will often remove it. I think it is the combination of the localised heat generated from the drilling combined with the anti-clockwise torque that brings them out. If that doesn't work then you have still lost nothing because you then have a hole that you can either retap or use a parallel stud extractor on.

I buy my left handed drills from here - http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/products/Drill-...e/0/page/1

I have no connection with this company other than as a satisfied customer.

1997 Defender 90 for the kids and I to have a go at some competitive off road RTV and Tyro trials, daughter picked up her first trophy over the August Bank Holiday.
Previous Land Rover history
1996 P38 4.6 V8 Autobiography
1996 Discovery TDi 300
1972 Range Rover 3.5 V8
LWB Hard Top Series 3
LWB Truck Cab Series 2A
Not been without a Land Rover for over 40 years - I must need therapy! 

Post #15397665th Oct 2015 1:43 am
Robbie

EZ-outs are horrible things and usually leaves you with a ridiculously hard broken bit of metal stuck in the fastener giving you a bigger challenge than you started out with.

LH drill bits are great and as said they do 2 jobs at once. At the very least they are just as effective at drilling out a faster as a regular bit but 99% of the time the combination of heat, vibration, twisting force and the removal of material from the core (ie the opposite of the force applied by a tapered EZ-out) does the business and screws out the remainder of the fastener.

For me they work best when used in combination with a good punch, tapping fluid / oil and the use of a centre drill bit.

The brand above happens to be the same as I use but I get them from elsewhere. Usually the 2.5mm does the job on its own and is by far my most used size, but I do have some up to 5mm - all from the joys of working on small engines. If the fastener is not in a blind hole then I stick with a regular RH drill so that the cleanest bit of the remaining thread is used, rather than pulling the rusty side through.

http://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/Shop/p~55499...Drill.html

Thumbs Up

Diagnostics for:

Post #15398205th Oct 2015 8:58 am
DDDad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Another great tip! Why didn't I hear about LH bits earlier? Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up

Do these suppliers do multi-packs of small bits? I'm annoyed that you either have to pay a fortune for individual bits or buy a set including lots of duplicate sizes. Evil or Very Mad
 Went for a job as a human cannonball. Not the right calibre.  
Post #15398365th Oct 2015 9:19 am
Robbie

Buying a couple of bits, say 2.5 and 4mm, is not going to break the bank (less than £7 inc vat and del).

If you are doing this regularly then I would suggest 2 x 2.5 and a single 3, 4 & 5mm. You should still have change from £15.

Using an impact wrench helps avoid breaking fasteners in the first place.

Thumbs Up

Diagnostics for:

Last edited by Robbie on 5th Oct 2015 9:30 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #15398405th Oct 2015 9:24 am
Dai-Disco3

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

When I did mine, I too was concerned about snapping the bolts, but with lots of WD40 and an impact gun the thumping action eased it out without issue (mine is air driven, but electric would also work so long as torque setting set low as it is the thumping that does the work). I suppose the most important bit is getting sufficient grip on the bolt head.

The lifting of the Front Arm whilst car on stands is exactly what I did for the upper bolt, saves a world of pain and scrapped knuckles Idea

Also only release the clips holding the flexible pipes to the body after you have undone/loosened the flange nuts. Thumbs Up

Cheers

Post #15398435th Oct 2015 9:30 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Thanks Robbie et al for the advice. I will be shopping for an impact wrench and some LH drill bits. Even if I don't need them for this job we are planning another project at home (series 3 or early defender), so plenty of scope there for use Rolling with laughter

I will go and read the recent thread on wrenches.
Post #15407106th Oct 2015 10:03 pm
Robbie

I'm no bolt Jedi when compared to the skills of others, but if you are careful and patient you can increase your chances of removing a rusty fastener in one piece. As a home mechanic you usually have the advantage of time when compared with a pro.

One of those unfashionable tools I use a lot is a sliding t-bar, as they make rocking a fastener forward and back when applying heat or penetrating fluid very easy.

There are lots of videos on YouTube that describe different techniques really well - essential viewing for a prospective Series owner!

Thumbs Up

Diagnostics for:

Post #15407166th Oct 2015 10:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >