Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Hand break locked on
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Black Brian

Hand break locked on

Rolling with laughter My hand break on my TDV6 manual is stuck on. This problem started with the hand break nor engaging when I needed it to engage. Nobody was killed. The emergency pull cord hidden under the gear stick assembly does not appear to get me out of jail. The Orange hand break light is on as well as the normal red hand break light on the dash. Help Help!! Bow down

Post #19167719th Aug 2007 9:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You might need to rock it a bit as you pull the emergency release cable if there's pressure on the brake. You also need to pull the cable it quite hard - maybe you haven't pulled it enough?
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #19168319th Aug 2007 9:50 pm
Black Brian

Thumbs Up Ta for that. Is there a chance you are can come and do the rocking part as the beast is parked on an incline and on gravel. I have pulled the wire real hard but nothing obvious has changed. Any other info or suggestions welcome as I need to shift the vehicle to a dealer in Galway to sort out the door damage.

Post #19171519th Aug 2007 10:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MrAnders

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you`re in an incline there will be so much pressure on your brake that the emergency cable won`t handle it. Have someone winch you to release the pressuse on it.
 -05 TDV6 HSE dc5r  
Post #19171919th Aug 2007 10:22 pm
bkehoe

Heh, I mean on the clutch Wink It being on an incline means there's a lot of pressure on the brake, so it may be counteracting your efforts to pull the cable. Putting it in low ratio, and gently letting out the clutch a small bit may take the pressure off the brake and make it easier to pull the cable.

Of course I could be completely wrong here and it may make no difference, but I doubt it could get any worse!

Post #19172219th Aug 2007 10:23 pm
Black Brian

Ok I understand the pressure on the brake due to the incline. The winch is a good idea. I will need to find an accomplice to pull the wire and do the winching and drive the motor. Thats for tomorrow in day light.

Has any one else head of a hand brake malfunction?

Question

Post #19173119th Aug 2007 10:29 pm
bkehoe

Yes, they're quite common, especially among those that do some offroading. I've never ever had a single problem with mine though which is really surprising (touch wood), but I rarely use it anyway which may have something to do with it.

Post #19173819th Aug 2007 10:32 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

And under Brendan's guidance I used the rocking technique to get mine released when it was on quite a steep incline Thumbs Up

Post #19174319th Aug 2007 10:34 pm
Black Brian

I bet the garage will say its unique. Does anyone know is the warranty 60K miles or kilometers? The Km meter says 60,191 and the incident happened 192 kilometers away at my Mum's, honest to god! The door hinges are quite strong, you should see the concrete gate pillar though. The car rolled very very slowly back until it collected the gate pillar with my door. The sound effects were only slightly less noisy that the nashing of my teeth. A tense moment of two at the time. The hinges are bent and the door does not close any more. New hinges may close the gap and then the panels need looking at. Do NOT do this type of malfunction at home!

Black Brian

Post #19174619th Aug 2007 10:43 pm
bkehoe

What, did the hand brake previously fail to hold the vehicle on a hill and it rolled away with the door open?

In Ireland the warranty is 100,000KM or 3 years, whichever comes first, so you should still be covered.

Post #19175019th Aug 2007 10:48 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Brian , sorry to read about your mishaps.Warranty on Irish Vehicles is 100K klms or 3 years , whichever is soonest.Crap I know but dems is de breaks Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Wex on 19th Aug 2007 10:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #19175319th Aug 2007 10:49 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Snap , CaptainK Smile

Brian , eh , what exactly happened ? Neutral

Post #19175619th Aug 2007 10:53 pm
Black Brian

Brendan

I flicked the switch as I got out to collect the post and caught the slightest movement of the vehicle as it rolled back to me on a 1 in ten mile slope outside the gate. I managed to get into the vehicle and flicked the hand brake switch again and pushed the food brake but the vehicle stopped like an oil tanker. The drivers door held the car and the gate post leaned back under the pressure. The gate post is built on peat I hasten to add. I was stuck at that point for a while. I powered on and off the engine and eventually the brake released. The amber and red brake lights stayed on and the brake did not engage at all after that until I parked on arrival in Sligo. After a night sleep, the brake is locked on.

Black Brian

Post #19175719th Aug 2007 11:00 pm
bkehoe

Oh dear, that's terrible! Shocked I hope the dealer isn't kicking up about covering the cost of repairing it? A good thing your gate post wasn't in solid concrete or it could have been worse. Hopefully rocking it with the clutch will free you. I'd recommend avoiding using the handbrake whenever possible till you get it sorted out, though that's not always possible in a manual.

Post #19176919th Aug 2007 11:33 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

This happened to me on Salisbury Plain. The brake locked solid and the cable emergency release had no effect. Got it free'd off by engaging low box 1st, and flooring it. It released sure enough, and the dealer then fixed it.

Post #19177219th Aug 2007 11:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >