Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Petrol line spontaneously disconnected!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
valoblk

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
Petrol line spontaneously disconnected!

After over 120,000 mostly trouble free miles, developed my first major issue with the US spec 2006 LR3 Petrol V8 right before Christmas. The truck would crank but wouldn't start at first, then it fired once. Detected a strong smell of gas, and then noticed that a large amount of fuel was pooling under the vehicle.

Fortunately my good friend and neighbor works in underground fuel tanks so wet were able to get the spill cleaned up.

Got under the vehicle and found that the gas feeder line leading from the fuel pump to the engine was disconnected for some reason! Reconnected the line, which seems secure, and tried to start the truck with no success. Thinking that there might be air in the line now, but can't seem to locate the Schraeder valve to bleed it.

Has this happened to anyone else? I've searched and can't find any other examples of this occurring. And does anyone have an idea where the bleed/check valve on the 4.4 is located?

Thanks in advance!

Post #158405828th Dec 2015 9:55 pm
mr.t

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR4

Hi, I have had a quick look through the service manual and found EDIT: something about Schraeder valves... next post

Here is some info:

FUEL PUMP RELAY
Quote:
The V6 engine has a return less fuel system. The system pressure is maintained at a constant 4.5 bar , with no reference to intake manifold pressure. The fuel is supplied to the injectors from a fuel pump located within the fuel tank. The electrical supply to this fuel pump is controlled by the ECM via the fuel pump relay, in the event of a vehicle impact the ECM will receive a crash signal from the restraints control module and will cut the power supply to the fuel pump relay. The fuel system is pressurized as soon as the ECM is powered up, the pump is then switched off until engine start has been achieved.
The fuel pump relay is located in the CJB. The Fuel pump is contained within the fuel tank.

There is a purge valve for emissions
Quote:

The ECM alters the PWM signal to the purge valve to control the rate of purging of the canister. The purging of the canister is done in a controlled manner in order to maintain the correct Stoichiometric air/fuel mixture for the engine. It also ensures the canister itself is purged frequently enough to prevent fuel saturation of the charcoal leading to an excessive build up of fuel vapor (and hence vapor pressure) in the system which could increase the likelihood of vapor leaks.

Here are the fault finding tips...
Click image to enlarge

Have you checked the fuses? I guess it was pumping fuel so the pump is running, just wondered if it had blown with the pipe disconnecting/reconnecting.

Any diagnostic lights up?
 LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 Alaska White
LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 Nara Bronze (Gone)
D4 Landmark SDV6 Black(Gone)
Velar 240 S Eiger Grey
FLTRXST

Post #158413229th Dec 2015 3:16 am
mr.t

Manual diagrams

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Velar 240 S Eiger Grey
FLTRXST

Post #158413329th Dec 2015 3:40 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There was a recall for the LR3 petrol in US for fuel line issues. May not be relevant to you but look it up. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #158413529th Dec 2015 5:34 am
valoblk

mr.t wrote:

Have you checked the fuses? I guess it was pumping fuel so the pump is running, just wondered if it had blown with the pipe disconnecting/reconnecting.

Any diagnostic lights up?

Thanks! Actually guidance that you provided is for the 4.0 V6 and not the 4.4 V8, but the paragraph about the fuel pump not engaging until the engine starts is extremely helpful. Apparently the system is "pre-pressurized", and the fuel pump won't run until after the engine has started.

I've checked all the related fuses, and scanned for codes with my IID tool and nothing comes up. I'm assuming that there is air in the line since nothing else seems to be amiss.

Here's a picture of my fuel rail, which unlike any of the other 4.4 rails that I've been able to find in diagrams or service manuals, doesn't seem to have a connection for pressure testing or purging anywhere - unless it's under the temperature sensor at the rear??

By the way I was in Houston last weekend visiting friends. Definitely an interesting city!

Post #158432529th Dec 2015 5:36 pm
valoblk

caverD3 wrote:
There was a recall for the LR3 petrol in US for fuel line issues. May not be relevant to you but look it up. Idea

Yes - apparently there were issues with the fuel tank on many of the early 2005s. I looked up my VIN and it didn't pull up anything, but I'm going to call the dealer regardless since this is a definite safety issue. There was absolutely no reason for the connector to separate, and it almost certainly would have caused a fire if the LR3 had been hot at the time.

Post #158432829th Dec 2015 5:49 pm
mr.t

Ahh ok, just saw V6 later on last night and didn't realize the 4.4 was a V6 ... EDIT: didnt read the post - its a V8! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Can you spray some fuel in the intake somehow (post AFM)?
..... Might work.. ( had a AA guy do this on a Shogun/Montero when it was actually by Crank sensor had gone.

Houston is interesting yes... For good and bad reasons! I live in Cypress 25 miles out of town and it's great.
Can't see the attraction on spending $1m's to live downtown ( may have had a different view in my 20's with no kids!)
I see a fair few LR3's and LR4's around. Not many new ones.. I guess people went back to Tahoes etc when the new styles came out? Maybe that need make a D5 pick up Smile
Velar 240 S Eiger Grey
FLTRXST

Post #158435829th Dec 2015 6:24 pm
mr.t

Video here on a 4.4 RR, fuel delivery is different...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2p42q-cfYw
...but it gave me an idea from the last few minutes.... if you jump the power across the fuel pump relay you could get the pump to push some fuel through without needing the engine running interlocks in place or healthy.
This may be enough to push the air through and get some fuel through so it can run on unaided when you put the relay back in...
Velar 240 S Eiger Grey
FLTRXST

Post #158477830th Dec 2015 5:02 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Guess it's fortunate that it didn't happen while you were running with a hot engine Shocked

Post #158478330th Dec 2015 5:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >