Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

New Member considering a Discovery 4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Zoo

United Kingdom 2015 LR4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueLR4

Hi Scimmiamagia

I bought an HSE Lux last year, ordered new from the factory with a good specification and I have had nothing but trouble with it (all electrical but on two occasions a total failure whilst driving).
To compound the actual problems with the car - the dealer has been totally unable to identify a remaining fault with the software - intermittent in their defence - and they themselves have basically giving up on it, despite my protests. Fault codes have been downloaded and addressed I am assured.
The Sat Nav, Bluetooth phone, Seat memory, Lighting and rear seat entertainment system work when they feel like it, making it necessary to stop the car, lock it, re-open, restart and sometimes the system resets.
The vision pack is a disgrace. Forward bumper cameras are useless and reminiscent of the first Nokia phone screen I bought. The rear camera looks NTSC compared to the Hi-Def on other cars in my household.

The bonnet needs slammed to close, so much so that fingers would be amputated if anyone was stupid enough to leave them in there (apologies - that couldn't happen because the gaps between the panel fit wouldn't allow). The rear glass door always needs a slam on second or third try.
The side doors never close on a soft attempt, so much so that I am always warning passengers not to trap their fingers in the door as they re-attempt (it has already happened).

Calls, emails and letters to LR Customer Services are redirected to the dealer and so the orbit goes.
The car was left on my driveway and the dealer collected. The car was returned four days later with an additional 120 miles and zero fuel (zero to the point that computer indicated nothing on miles left to fuel)

On 2nd day of ownership and 75 miles on the clock, the car just switched itself off whilst I was driving home. It restarted immediately but the sat Nav wouldn't initialise.
On a call to the dealer (I looked for ever for the DVD to eject and re-insert) they advised me to look in the top glove box for a small 'camera-like' memory card. I called again to explain that there was a USB and 3.5mm jack only. After a call to another dealer, they explained that all software was accessed only by them and through a DIN socket. Nothing for owner to access.

The list of things goes on, so my point is - I am getting rid of this car swiftly. Check everything on any used car with someone who really knows the electrics inside out.
The Sat Nav initialises on my car but it will not accept a postcode and the favourites are sometimes not available to see. Check the interior map lights - mine don't and have never worked, despite 'new firmware' being reloaded to factory settings.
The driver seat has a small shudder each time the ignition is switched on. I have uploaded 7 separate video clips to LR and the dealer since ownership and still no fix has been satisfactory, despite the car being returned numerous times.
The 8-speed gearbox is good and there is plenty power from the SDV6 but there is no point in the paddle shift as when you do select manual gearshift, it goes back into D mode approx 15 seconds, regardless of what gear is selected.

Guys I clay-shoot with all laugh at my new 'love-hate relationship' and give me all of the stories about their bad experiences with LR's. Sub £60k car - disgrace.

I love the heated seat and heated steering wheel though - and the coolbox in-between the front seats is a nice touch for that chilled cola (when summer eventually comes).

Good luck with the search but look very closely at any 15-plate HSE-LUX!!

Post #159172612th Jan 2016 5:22 pm
blackdog1

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Wink Don't forget to check the condition of any car you are interested in buying, June 2015 I had a test drive in a d4 , almost 3 years old 27,000 miles on the clock, this car looked new, when I checked to see if the spare wheel was full size or space saver I was shocked to see rust and corrosion on the under side, I bought a new one and treated the underside my self.

Post #159181812th Jan 2016 7:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sloss

Scotland 

Zoo,

I'm amazed you haven't been on here to tell us all these things........ Whistle

That car should have been returned as 'not fit' - end of Thumbs Up

My 2010 D4 is brilliant - my son had it the last few days to do some towing and I'm struggling to get it back. He says its so much better that his X5. 'Only' a 6 speed but it a lovely car to drive.
 Stew,

2010 D4 gone but I really loved it
Went back to Merc - C350 AMG 

Post #159183012th Jan 2016 7:44 pm
scimmiamagia

I wish there was a database somewhere with all the VINs of all the lemons.

Post #159188912th Jan 2016 8:47 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Another vote for the HSE, will keep its value better than a Landmark and be easier to sell, not that you will want to Thumbs Up
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #159190212th Jan 2016 9:03 pm
scimmiamagia

The discovery 3 we had had electrical gremlins that the dealer could not fix. New alternator on warranty but battery was flat every day. Battey always checked out ok though. Driver's seat would recline of it's own accord over night.

And we were literally in fear of our lives driving it just in case it decided to go into limp mode while overtaking or when in front of a large truck on the motorway.

Don't want a repeat of that experience.

Post #159190812th Jan 2016 9:10 pm
Zoo

Sloss wrote:
Zoo,

I'm amazed you haven't been on here to tell us all these things........ Whistle

That car should have been returned as 'not fit' - end of Thumbs Up

My 2010 D4 is brilliant - my son had it the last few days to do some towing and I'm struggling to get it back. He says its so much better that his X5. 'Only' a 6 speed but it a lovely car to drive.

I tried to invoke the Sale of Goods Act, which changed to the Consumer Rights Act in Oct 2015.
The dealer stopped short of laughing in my face.
The car sits on my drive and gets used for the Saturday am run to the supermarket.
I'll sell it back through the dealer and take the loss as I'd have trouble knowing that it went to a family through a private sale.

Post #159193412th Jan 2016 9:41 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Very happy with my 11MY 6 speed. Not driven an eight but love this one so drive and then decide. I had a choice between an 8 speed GS or 6 speed HSE so easy for me as I like all the extras and the seats in particular are fabulous. Never even sat in the GS.

Post #159196912th Jan 2016 10:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sloss

Scotland 

Zoo wrote:

I tried to invoke the Sale of Goods Act, which changed to the Consumer Rights Act in Oct 2015.
The car sits on my drive and gets used for the Saturday am run to the supermarket.
I'll sell it back through the dealer and take the loss as I'd have trouble knowing that it went to a family through a private sale.

I know it's difficult but maybe a Lawyer should have been involved...... Big Cry
 Stew,

2010 D4 gone but I really loved it
Went back to Merc - C350 AMG 

Post #159199312th Jan 2016 10:47 pm
scimmiamagia

Zoo wrote:

I was reading up about that on the AA website.

I think I probably had a case when I bought the D3 and it started to fail. It definitely had a fault at the time I purchased it, which I suspect they knew about (because they had been servicing the car since new) and they failed to rectify (one chance).

"If a fault comes to light after 30 days but before 6 months have passed then you are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. It is assumed in law that the fault was present at the time of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise. During this period, unless you have agreed otherwise, the seller (dealer) has only one opportunity to repair (or replace) the faulty vehicle after which, if they fail to repair it, you are entitled to a refund.

In the event of a refund following a failed attempt at repair during the first six months the seller is permitted to make a 'reasonable' adjustment to the amount refunded to take account of the use that you have had of the vehicle since you bought it."

I think you have a case.

Post #159200112th Jan 2016 10:57 pm
pcregeen

2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

To give you a heads up. I was I your position just three months ago. But... I managed to find a one owner absolutely mint 61 plate Landmark with 40K miles on the clock and picked it up for £25k. At that point all similar HSE 6 speeds were £28-£29k and 8 speeds £30-£32k and I was already stretching my budget.

My point is, just buy what suits you and what you think is the best looked after example you can find. Take your time and good value cars do come along

Pete

Post #159210713th Jan 2016 10:27 am
Zoo

Scimmiamagia - thanks for the info on your experience with the Sale of Goods Act.
I am calendar-timed out for grounds of full refund demand. I should have been more persistent at the time of fault but more important things were happening within my family life at that period.

I've just put it down to an expensive experience but having owned this car from new - for +6 months - and having listened to everyone who either owns one - or has in the past - I just do not understand why owners put themselves through what I would call the 'Emperor's clothes' syndrome.

I started a separate thread on the D4 forum regarding the map lights (Interior map lights) - I'd love to get this query fixed before I sell the car, only for my own piece of sanity.

Thanks again Thumbs Up

Post #159228213th Jan 2016 3:48 pm
Ezz

I've just bought a 12 plate hse, cost me 31k from listers, I liked the landmark but the 8 speed won the day..

Post #159275714th Jan 2016 9:56 am
scimmiamagia

How many miles on the clock for £31k?

Post #159324614th Jan 2016 9:57 pm
Ezz

56,000, hse, black pack

Post #159325114th Jan 2016 10:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >