Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Sun Glasses Holder
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
VVS210

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Sun Glasses Holder

You’d never guess it wasn’t an original fitment 8)

So, after lamenting the lack of anywhere to put my sun glasses on the dash of the D4 I did a bit of searching on the forum and came across some threads that were about using cheap Chinese holders in place of the drivers grab handle. These were for Ford Focus C-Max etc. so it got me to thinking why not just fit a genuine Ford part instead?

A quick look on the Bay of E and I found a second hand one in grey – the seller was REALLY helpful and even test fitted it in a D3 before sending me photos of it. Unfortunately these photos showed a gap between the headlining and the base of the feet. Undeterred I bought one and waited patiently for it to arrive.

Unpacking it and comparing it to the grab handle it was clear that there was a 5mm difference in the stand-off between the two different types of feet but whilst this was not really noticeable from the drivers seat when fitted I was not happy with it so decided to look at how I could overcome it.

First thought was attack the foot with a file but that would not remove the whole 5mm difference so there would still be a gap. A cup of tea later I decided the easiest thing to do was swap the feet over from the grab handle onto the sun glasses holder.

Taking the tip of a new Stanley knife blade I pushed it into the plastic pin holding the foot to the grab handle and eased it out bit by bit until I could get a grip on the end with some small pliers and remove the pin completely. Repeating the process on the other foot and then again on the sun glasses holder I then reassembled them so that I had the feet off the grab handle fitted to the sun glasses holder.

Result is it fits perfectly, with no gap around the base of the foot and you’d never know it was not a genuine LR fitment!

D4 - Stornoway Grey
D2 V8 - Zambesi Silver (rust free JDM import 😎)
FL2 - Sd4 HSE
110 Td5 DCPU - Bonatti Grey - sold
FL2 Td4 - Zambesi Silver - sold
D2 Td5 - Epsom Green - sold
F1 Td4 - Giverney Green - sold
90 300 Tdi - White – sold BIG mistake should have kept it!
F1 Td4 - written off by a taxi!
D1 300 Tdi - written off by a Fiesta...
D1 200 Tdi - sold
90 Turbo Diesel - sold
Ser 2a SWB - sold and glad I 'got rid'
Ser 2 SWB - sold but wish I still had it! 

Post #164382621st Apr 2016 5:12 pm
al cope

England 

Not bad - lack of places to put things is the one think I dislike about my D4's when compared to my D3's. Not just glasses but phone, keys, wallet, etc

Was there any particular year of ford that you need, to get the right fit/colour?

I end up putting them in the center cupholders, but then where does my drink go?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #164383121st Apr 2016 5:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
VVS210

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Love the aesthetics of the dash & centre console but not good when you want to stash things! I use the cup holders too but only for keys & a couple of pens. My phone sits perfectly in the little hole on the opposite side to the EPB switch and when it rings I can see who is calling and decide whether to press the green button on the steering wheel or not Thumbs Up
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
D2 V8 - Zambesi Silver (rust free JDM import 😎)
FL2 - Sd4 HSE
110 Td5 DCPU - Bonatti Grey - sold
FL2 Td4 - Zambesi Silver - sold
D2 Td5 - Epsom Green - sold
F1 Td4 - Giverney Green - sold
90 300 Tdi - White – sold BIG mistake should have kept it!
F1 Td4 - written off by a taxi!
D1 300 Tdi - written off by a Fiesta...
D1 200 Tdi - sold
90 Turbo Diesel - sold
Ser 2a SWB - sold and glad I 'got rid'
Ser 2 SWB - sold but wish I still had it! 

Last edited by VVS210 on 21st Apr 2016 6:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #164383221st Apr 2016 5:22 pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Thanks for this. Just picked up one for mine from eBay. I don't wear separate sunglasses but it'll be a handy place to keep a spare pair of glasses out of the way.
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #164384021st Apr 2016 5:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tonigmr2

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

VVS210 wrote:
Love the aesthetics of the dash & centre console but not good when you want to stash things! I use the cup holders too but only for keys & a couple of pens. My phone sits perfectly in the little hole on the opposite side to the EPB switch and when it rings I can see who is calling and decide whether to press the green button on the steering wheel or not Thumbs Up

Annoyingly they've removed that little cubby hole on the MY16, I really miss it. Have been wondering where to put my sunglasses!
 *now enjoying* D5 Namib Orange HSE 68
Disco4 Kaikoura Stone HSE 16
Disco4 Nara Bronze HSE 11
Disco4 Nara Bronze XS 10
Disco3 Rimini Red HSE 07 

Post #164402521st Apr 2016 10:02 pm
Sudds

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Mine arrived in the post today, but will have to wait to fit it now as I have decided to change the Disco.

Post #164490023rd Apr 2016 3:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >