Page 2 of 5 <12345>
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'm in love with my D4!

Life it's only one and bloody short!!!!
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #166665813th Jun 2016 9:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CFB

United Kingdom 

MrBrain wrote:
So thanks for the replies. So it seems your suggesting the warranty is worthwhile for a start, so I will stick with that good advice. Any idea how much that warranty is - the full one, not the 'select' - or is that the 1000 per year mentioned?

One of you has a nice d4 in the for sale section. Grey too, my favourite colour Smile...

That's probably my D4 HSE in the For Sale section. Has zero mechanical issues and an Approved Used Land Rover Warranty to November 2017 so there's your peace of mind Wink
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #166667613th Jun 2016 9:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ali1971

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Long time lurker here as well, currently driving a Honda CRV. We also have a wee mini cooper which we use for nipping about in but the CRV is looking tired now so looking to replace with another tow vehicle. I keep coming back to the Disco 4, seems to have everything we would need being a large family as well. I suppose you have to go in with your eyes open and like all modern cars things do and can go wrong. Used to do all my own maint and still do on the Honda , brakes,pads oil changes filters etc, all straight forward. Just a pity i don`t have ramps Smile Anyway, lots of scare stories about these cars but also from reading various forums that is not the case the majority of the time. If I was buying it would have to be used and probably 4-5 yrs old. Any good independents round my way in Fife ? Would warranty be an issue if not going to main dealers ? Also thinking at that age the big expensive service would be coming up regardless of miles done as well. The wife would have one in a heart beat me I`m a bit more pragmatic Sad Not a huge choice in cars out there for towing a caravan and 5 people about the country in comfort. The Honda albeit its been good is right on the limit for us now ( its a 56 plate ). Autotrader is coming up with some nice examples away from main dealers but warranty has to be considered with this, so best sticking with the main dealers which would be pentland round my way.

Post #166676313th Jun 2016 12:48 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

When I had Discovery 2's I did everything myself - which was part of the hobby and I learnt a lot and generally enjoyed being able to service and repair them (apart from replacing the Fuel Pressure Regulator twice - I still have the scars). I actually miss it now, I've even taken to servicing SWMBOs Astra to get my oily hands fix.

I therefore had the same anxiety as in your original post above when I moved to the Disco 4 - but my advice would be to simply look at all the numbers and go into it with open eyes.. I pushed for a D4 over a D3 as I believe, as above, there seems to be slightly better reliability 'on average'. I also researched servicing costs, warranty costs, etc. so ultimately the decision was made by head as well as heart.

One tipping point for me was that when I actually broke it down, I was spending abut £100 per month on parts for the D2 when averaged out over a year without really thinking about it (even £10-20 here and there for a sensor etc. adds up) so that brought the monthly number to something I was prepared to go ahead with.

Sure you won't regret it Thumbs Up
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #166678713th Jun 2016 2:02 pm
A1GSS

England 

Ali1971 wrote:
... Any good independents round my way in Fife ? ....
Forum sponsor and Discovery guru Disco Mikey covers all of Scottyland. ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #166680613th Jun 2016 2:43 pm
a11geo

Wales 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

If you like to do your own maintenance I'd factor in the cost of an IID or other reputable diagnostic tool. I find it very liberating to generally be able to diagnose a problem without the assistance of a dealer. All the actual fixes I've done on the D4 have been minor and straight forward (with the assistance of this forum). With LR dealers wanting £75-100 just to plug in an run a diagnostic having your own kit is worth every penny!
 MY12 D4 HSE Marmaris Teal
MY08 D3 XS Java Black - gone
MY03 D2 ES Zambesi Silver - gone 

Post #166686313th Jun 2016 4:23 pm
J77

Scotland 

Ali1971 wrote:
Long time lurker here as well, currently driving a Honda CRV. We also have a wee mini cooper which we use for nipping about in but the CRV is looking tired now so looking to replace with another tow vehicle. I keep coming back to the Disco 4, seems to have everything we would need being a large family as well. I suppose you have to go in with your eyes open and like all modern cars things do and can go wrong. Used to do all my own maint and still do on the Honda , brakes,pads oil changes filters etc, all straight forward. Just a pity i don`t have ramps Smile Anyway, lots of scare stories about these cars but also from reading various forums that is not the case the majority of the time. If I was buying it would have to be used and probably 4-5 yrs old. Any good independents round my way in Fife ? Would warranty be an issue if not going to main dealers ? Also thinking at that age the big expensive service would be coming up regardless of miles done as well. The wife would have one in a heart beat me I`m a bit more pragmatic Sad Not a huge choice in cars out there for towing a caravan and 5 people about the country in comfort. The Honda albeit its been good is right on the limit for us now ( its a 56 plate ). Autotrader is coming up with some nice examples away from main dealers but warranty has to be considered with this, so best sticking with the main dealers which would be pentland round my way.

Can't fault Pentland, especially Alistair Mcbain in sales. Thumbs Up
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #166687013th Jun 2016 4:50 pm
Ali1971

A1GSS wrote:
Ali1971 wrote:
... Any good independents round my way in Fife ? ....
Forum sponsor and Discovery guru Disco Mikey covers all of Scottyland.

Cheers not to far out of my way!

Post #166692313th Jun 2016 6:20 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Ali1971 wrote:

Suspension in off road height, two axle stands for safety and servicing is a doddle to do. much easier than normal cars on the flat.

Post #166700713th Jun 2016 8:46 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Over the last few years we've run D4's and Freelander 2's from new but also have plenty of experience on older stuff - here's my tuppence-worth...

Warranty, buy some sort of warranty...

Plenty of folks on here will know that I have been mighty pleased with LR products over the last four vehicles - both Freelanders had fuel in one end, washer fluid in the other and barely touched between services.

Likewise, the last D4 went back at three years old and 110k on the clock, during which time I had towed horse trailers, car trailers, taken it across Europe on a number of occasions and much, much more - it was a cracking bit of kit!

However (and whisper this quietly), I've just had a new engine in my current D4...

Shocked Censored Shocked

Wow... 2 years, 3 months old and less than 57,000 miles - serviced from brand new by LR, (nearly always) run on posh diesel and living a relatively cosseted life.

What happened - I don't think we'll ever know, but LR have been brilliant (even the truly comedic moment when the LRA man said, "I'm supposed to plug my laptop in and run a diagnostic check but it's not really going to help...") and the dealer's approach was to cut the oil filter in half, admire the swarf and ring LR for approval to supply / fit the new engine - all done in a matter of days.

On the face of it, there's nothing that would identify this car as having a dodgy ticker and it's 'just one of those things' but it's certainly not a bill that I'd have wanted coming my way as an owner!

The car itself does everything that I need - it tows well, it carries my site gear into some horrible places and yet brushes up well when required. Oh, and we're heading off to France this weekend to fill up on Champagne and good food, new engine and all!

Good luck with finding the right car...
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #166728914th Jun 2016 1:35 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

I've had my D3 from new for 9.5 years. It's likely to be coming up for sale in the next week (unless I get a good trade-in price for it) but will be looking to move it on by the end of the month as I'm keen to upgrade to a D4.

It's been a wonderful car and have not had half the problems some on here have had.

I do all my own servicing, every 5k miles. It's just passed the 140k mile mark and still goes well.

Buy a good one; you won't regret it. Buy a bad one and you'll never forget it.

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #166730114th Jun 2016 2:00 pm
Ali1971

The wife has been looking at a brand new on PCP with the view to probably buying at the end, expensive way to do it but not exactly got £50k in loose change even though mortgage paid ! Anyways been using various tools on the net to check used cars history, the mot check site on the gov page is superb.

Quote:
Test date23 March 2015 Expiry date31 March 2016 Test ResultPass Odometer reading44,259 miles MOT test number2999 7278 5062 Advisory notice item(s)
Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
Offside Front Lower Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
Nearside Front Upper Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
Offside Front Upper Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
Nearside Rear brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
Offside Rear brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
Offside Rear Anti-roll bar linkage has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
Offside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
o/s/r pads lower than n/s/r - possible sticky brake at somepoint

Last MOT advisories now up for sale on autotrader, doubt this work has been done so looks like an expensive bill going by what has been said on here !

Post #166900417th Jun 2016 5:30 pm
Ali1971

BTW thats an approved Land Rover with 2yr approved warranty ?

Post #166904217th Jun 2016 6:46 pm
Ali1971

May have stumbled upon a rather nice HSE at main dealers budget has been upped I suppose so this one is 4 yrs old 30k miles , one owner and FsH ! Just debating this over a similarly priced X5 4.0d of same age ... My head says go with the safe bet but life is short to worry about what might happen !

Post #166950518th Jun 2016 8:05 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Are you thinking that the X5 is a"safe bet" over the D4?!

Your head might need to catch up with your heart on this one Thumbs Up
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #166952618th Jun 2016 8:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >