Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

U3000-4B(68) - Parking Brake Fault Diagnostic Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
U3000-4B(68) - Parking Brake Fault Diagnostic Help

The Missus had my car today as hers was having an MOT. She was using it for work out visiting patients, so a fair few shortish journeys (15mins each roughly). Car was fine all morning and during the afternoon, she said a warning popped up on the dash. She had basically parked the car, then decided to move it as it wasn't parked very well. As she went to move it, the EPB wouldn't release and a the error popped on the dash. She didn't fully read it, but then couldn't release the EPB. She then turned off the car, restarted it and then it released, but she noticed it made a slight bang/clunck sound.

She drove it for the rest of the day, and only told me when she got home. I have stuck the IID tool on to have a look and have the error message below related to the EPB:

I applied the EPB once with the engine off and windows down to have a listen. Its makes the usual wirrr noise, then there is a slight clunk at the end of the process. when it is released, it is noisier than normal, and makes a slightly higher pitch noise. Its not loud though. I was wondering how loud the so called "scream" is you get when you get the EPB error jam etc? The noise i have is hardly any nosier than perviously. Probably couldn't hear it with engine running, or doors shut.

Other things to note:

When the car was in for an MOT a week or two ago, the garage noted a slightly noisy EPB, but was working fine and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I told them i didn't really use it, and they advised me i should, so i have been over the last week weeks. Today with the mrs driving it will have been by far the most use its had for a long time.

I have been advised that the rear disks will need replacing soonish, but that calliper pads still have life in them.

Can anyone advise what my course of action should be? I don't want to take it back to the dealers and they say you need new disk pads etc, and a new EPB module if it just needs adjusting etc? The clunk wasn't there previously before the error message (or yesterday when i drove it)

Will the car be ok to drive if i just don't use the handbrake as I'm due away with work on Tuesday next week for about 10 days in Grimsby?

I could possibly go over to AJS 4x4 (Site Sponsor) and get them to have a look at the brakes and adjust or replace if necessary and then back to dealer if module is knackered, but would rather do it when i have more time at end of August if possible. ( I do have a WD Extra Care Warranty, but i cant see any mention of EPB module in the list of things covered (Only ABS Control module & Pump) - Although it doesn't say its not covered apart from the caveat saying if its not in the covered list, its not covered)

Is there anything i can do with the IID tool to run any more diagnostics or check anything etc?

I currently have no dash warning lights, and only the above fault from the IID. It didn't get a fault when i tried it at home this evening etc.

Thanks

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #169073410th Aug 2016 8:01 pm
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Clean, lubricate contact points on shoes and adjust as per Bodsys Bow down Brake Bible, sounds like when the brake is being released the shoe(s) sticking, hence the 'bang/clunk; as the springs retract it Thumbs Up

Post #169074210th Aug 2016 8:15 pm
robpenrose

Any ideas why it would have caused the fault?

Post #169076810th Aug 2016 9:17 pm
robpenrose

Also it was only serviced in May and done probably 2-3k miles.

Isn't the EPB adjustment part of the service, and surely it can't have gone out of adjustment so quickly??

Post #169077110th Aug 2016 9:26 pm
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

No idea other than the rear brakes (EPB shoes are inside the 'drum') need a clean, the shoe contact points lubricated and adjusted every now and again dependent on mileage and use (more frequent if used off road) I would hazard a guess that few garages would routinely go to the trouble of stripping it down to do this if there wasn't a fault, it may even be extra to a service as its more time. I really think thats all thats needed for your EPB as it's 'warning' you at the moment, delaying action only costs you lots more money in the long run. Is there someone local from the forum who could help you out? Clear the codes and keep an eye on it but get the EPB serviced properly soon! Thumbs Up

Post #169089111th Aug 2016 9:47 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

robpenrose wrote:
Any ideas why it would have caused the fault?

Lack of use and Biffysun is right in what needs to be done to sort it out. I am not sure where this idea came from not to use the epb, its the worst thing you can do to make it trouble free.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #169089411th Aug 2016 9:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
robpenrose

Ok thanks guys for the information.

.Geoff is my localish forum guru, but I know he is out of action at the moment, so don't want to bother him. If it could wait a couple of weeks until he is back in action, and I'm back from work I could get him to have a look at it.

I assume the car will be ok to drive, as I probably need to do about 500miles for work in it?

Thanks for your help and responses.

Post #169090411th Aug 2016 10:25 am
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I might be tempting fate but I always use the EPB and in 10 years of owning various D3's have had trouble only once after some serious off roading , which was cured by cleaning and adjustment.

Post #169091511th Aug 2016 10:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >