DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Keeping the suspension "UP".
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 28 <123 4 ... 262728>
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

In your diary was it Razz

Post #25880413th Feb 2008 8:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Its been a wile now, I have not heard of aney devolopments, the leed I got fizzed out, they could actually keep the suspension up at eney speed but badly affected and mucked up all sorts of things which they could not get around so they gave up Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Rob

Post #25889513th Feb 2008 11:53 am
alfromoz

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Big Cry That's a shame. I'm thinking of just testing to see what signal/ resistance the height sensors send to the comp, & just interfere with that via a in dash control. Simple but prob effective.
Al
 It's not the weight of it but the slippery hold I've got.  
Post #25920013th Feb 2008 10:53 pm
IanR

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Simon posted this on 27th November.

simon_arch1 wrote:
Spoke with Dieseltune last week - they are making good progress, but realistically expect it to be 2-3 months more...

I spoke to Davis Performance Landys last week - they don't have anything in the pipeline.

Simon, have Dieseltune got any closer????
 'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #25922713th Feb 2008 11:27 pm
Rob Bruce

Al,
Good thinking, I dont know how the sensors work, I assume and hope like you they just vary restsnce, but if that was the case I assume if they got wet it would send the computor into a tail spin and that does not seem to happen.
Rember that aney wire will have a restance of its own especially when runing them a long distance ie to the front inside the cab.
If it works a 4 pole switch with the predetermined restance would create the same effect as shortening the rods.
Maybe 10FC knows what the sensors do or more to the point how they work ? This would be a clue on where to start.
Very Good Luck and cant wait to here how it goes Thumbs Up

Rob

Post #25927214th Feb 2008 1:30 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Rob Bruce wrote:
Good thinking, I dont know how the sensors work, I assume and hope like you they just vary restsnce,

Hi Rob,

You're right....the sensors are nothing more than rotary variable resistors.

On the spanish D3 forum, we've been throwing around ideas and testing things for a few months. At the moment, the best (and easiest) solution still seems to be to reduce the length of the 'connecting rods' that connect the height sensors to the fixed point on the chassis.

Here you can find some photos of the sensors that we've opened and 16+ pages of discussions about them. (all in Spanish, but you'll get the idea from the pictures in the below link.

http://www.discovery3.net/Bieletas-t376.html&st=90

Although I don't have time to translate everything, if there's something specific you need help with, let me know the text and I'll give you a hand.

As I said, we haven't yet come up with a cost-effective way of reliably fooling the D3 into raising it's suspension 'on demand', but we're still working on it...

Of course, when we find a way, I'll be posting it on here so that we can all benefit (but don't hold your breath for anything quick Wink ).

Cheers,
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #25928814th Feb 2008 8:59 am
Rob Bruce

Paul,
wow you lot are way ahead of us. Your pics of the sensor interesting, there seem to be a printed circuit inside as wel as the varable resister.
Al wil find this helpfull as he is experemening with this.
Please heep us informed, Thumbs Up

Rob

Post #25929914th Feb 2008 9:59 am
PaulP

Rob Bruce wrote:

wow you lot are way ahead of us. Your pics of the sensor interesting, there seem to be a printed circuit inside as wel as the varable resister.
Al wil find this helpfull as he is experemening with this.

It's worth noting that the PCB 'is' the variable resistor....the wiper in the housing works directly on the tracks on the PCB as it turns.

Cheers,
Paul
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #25932214th Feb 2008 10:42 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Latest update from Diesletune - "still not fit for human consumption" - some progress, but not enough Sad

I have bought a second set of height sensor rods... Neutral

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #25966415th Feb 2008 12:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I read that the suspension height can't be changed if a door is open i.e. if you're in offroad height and the car thinks the door is open, the suspension should stay up. I don't know if the speed sensor will over-ride this though and can't test it until I get back home in 3-4 weeks.

Anyone care to try? it shouldn't be too hard to adjust/remove a door sensor......

Easy way to test this is to drive with a door held partly open - be careful though!

Post #26087318th Feb 2008 2:57 pm
heine

Hmmm good one - will give it a bash

Post #26087718th Feb 2008 3:04 pm
PaulP

Jonty wrote:
I read that the suspension height can't be changed if a door is open i.e. if you're in offroad height and the car thinks the door is open, the suspension should stay up. I don't know if the speed sensor will over-ride this though and can't test it until I get back home in 3-4 weeks.

Been there....done that.... Laughing Laughing

The car will drop at 40km/h (or was it 50km/h) regardless of whether or not the door is open.

"The suspension height will not change if a door is open"...this is true whilst the car is stopped and refers to the self-levelling feature only....when you pick up speed, normal up/down rules apply (unfortunately Evil or Very Mad ).

I hope this helps (and saves one of you from falling out of the D3 at speed whilst holding the door open). Thumbs Up
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #26088118th Feb 2008 3:18 pm
heine

Should of held off for a day or 2 Paul - might have had some interesting results Twisted Evil

Post #26088218th Feb 2008 3:24 pm
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Maybe I missed the obvious in this thread, but Matzker, a german company, already sells a box that modifies the inputs from the height sensors. A switch enables you to lift the suspension 26 mm or lower it by 23 mm compared to the standard height of any mode. Not cheap, at almost 1500 euros.... Shocked
More info (in german alas) here: http://www.matzker.de/product_info.php?products_id=750
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.