DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Forward planning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Forward planning

Hi,

Doing some forward planning - might take advantage of some current offers and store the tyres until I need them.

Spend most of my time on motorway or single track country roads, but don't want to get stuck in a muddy field, and would quite like my tyres to look 'ard. Smile

Please would anyone with experience mind answering the following:

Which are quietest, Synchrones, Wranglers HP/AW or Scorpion Zeros?

Which are the longest wearing, Synchrones, Wranglers HP/AW or Scorpion Zeros?

If I threw this plan out of the window and went for the AT/2s because they look cool - would I notice an increase in noise, and decrease in fuel consumption, handling and tyre life?

Currently got Kumos on it Confused

Many thanks,

John
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #2134469th Oct 2007 5:00 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

who is going first? Whistle
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #2134489th Oct 2007 5:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

Cooper ST's on 17's look 'hard' enough and road noise is not too intrusive... Whistle
Click image to enlarge
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #2134499th Oct 2007 5:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SPOTTER

it is all relative of course.

Michelin products are likely to be longest lasting and at least equal quietest. Scorpions best on road. Wranglers prone to resonance as they wear. (Got synchrones at the moment although I belive they are replaced by latitudes or something now). All the road tyres will get you a long way into the undergrowth, they are just a bit more susceptible to sidewall damage in particular.

Off Road tyres are a lot noisier. I run MTR's for off road use and while they are perfectly livable with I am always amazed how much quieter the road tyres are when I change back....fuel economy difference appears to be about 3mpg worse on MTR's.

horses for courses

Thumbs Up
Post #2134529th Oct 2007 5:17 pm
Snowy

England 

Hi John C
I have got a set of AT2s (approx 1000miles) and am really pleased with them. There's a little more noise than the Scorpians, but not much. Simarlarly, there is a little bit of vibration you can just about feel through the steering wheel on the Grabbers but nothing to put me off them.
MPG has probably dropped by about 1 or 2 mpg according to the slightly optimistic OBC.
I can feel no difference in handling over the Scorpians, but then I just amble along with light right foot.
If you do go off road, I have really noticed an improvement on lateral grip and don't understeer as much as I did. Definitely an improvement Thumbs Up .
If you want to look really " 'ard" then go for the 19" Goodyear MTRs. No experience of these (unfortunately) but I'm sure someone will be along soon....
Hope that helps
 The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us yet.  
Post #2134539th Oct 2007 5:18 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

MTRs fair bit noisier & about 2 mpg increase in thirst. I use 17" with Conti Contact 4x4s as they are (or were) cheap as chips to get a set of 4 new ones on new rims, seem bullet-proof greenlaning and (in my humble opinion) give more feel on the road, normal mpg & noise and a better ride than 18" or 19" tyres. I also think they are the best looking whell but I may be biassed. The 18"ers that came with the car are presently in the shed gathering dust.

Post #2134989th Oct 2007 7:48 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

I changed to AT/2 and have done nearly 15,000 miles on them with plenty of life still in them. Although a little noiser than the OEM ones, the improved grip off road far out weighs this and I'd say the MPG difference is minor - again it's offset by the improved offroad performance in my opinion.

Going back to the wear, I recon that I'll get well over 30k, possibly over 40k at this rate and that's doing a good spread between motorway, A & B roads and off road driving. I would have gone for BFG A/T's but they don't yet do them in 255/60 18. A friend recommended the Grabbers after fitting them to his Defender 110 - now I'd be hard pushed to choose between BFG's and the AT/2s, if BFG release them.

Here's a picture:

Yes, I know they're not original LR wheels, but I like them and didn't want to spend LR money for 18" rims Duck Duck As usual, about 2 days afterwards I found a set of LR 18" wheels going for a snap on fleabay Evil or Very Mad

I bought the rims and tyres from Famous Four - so give them a call for a quote (0)1507 609444. Don't know what you'll get charged by your local fitters for fitting them, might be worth checking first.
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance. 

Last edited by MrH on 9th Oct 2007 8:22 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2135129th Oct 2007 8:19 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

SN wrote:
Cooper ST's on 17's look 'hard' enough and road noise is not too intrusive...

Wot size your St's Steve?
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #2135149th Oct 2007 8:21 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Disconutter wrote:
I bought the rims and tyres from Famous Four - so give them a call for a quote (0)1507 609444. Don't know what you'll get charged by your local fitters for fitting them, might be worth checking first.

I trust that the alloys are weight rated for the D3 Mr. Nutter Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #2135179th Oct 2007 8:27 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

AT2s - a little less grip on damp tarmac, but by they time you find out where they let go your going faster than a 2.7 tonne 4x4 ought to be going Whistle

About 1.5-2mpg less than Scorpions, but about double the tyre life. When I worked out the increased fuel cost and offset it against the lower tyre purchase cost, the overall cost of running AT2s is lower due to the better tyre life.

Offroad, the AT2s will get you out of the cack a little quicker than the Scorpions and the sidewalls seem a hell of a lot tougher. They tolerate lower pressures (useful in sand) a lot better and are meant to be the dogs in snow.

I've had AT2s on for about 12000 miles and have been very impressed. The only time I fancy a bit more bite offroad is in clay/chalk mix when perhaps a more aggressive tyre like the STT (17") or MTR (19") might prevail (which is why I'm always on the lookout for cheap 17" wheels).

Oh, and AT2s look 8)

Click image to enlarge
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #2135289th Oct 2007 8:52 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

DG wrote:

I trust that the alloys are weight rated for the D3 Mr. Nutter Wink

Yes they are speced for a Disco3 DG. First thing I asked, even before asking for a picture. Thanks for the concern. Thumbs Up
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #2136299th Oct 2007 11:14 pm
John C

Many thanks for all this - very helpful.

Got to admit - am loving the look of those AT/2s 8)

Does anyone have a picture of their D3 with the Syncrones on please?

Post #21368510th Oct 2007 8:35 am
SPOTTER

if no one has one I can take one of mine later and stick it up.

actually some in my gallery already

Last edited by SPOTTER on 11th Oct 2007 9:51 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #21410211th Oct 2007 9:46 am
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
MTRs fair bit noisier & about 2 mpg increase in thirst. I use 17" with Conti Contact 4x4s as they are (or were) cheap as chips to get a set of 4 new ones on new rims, seem bullet-proof greenlaning and (in my humble opinion) give more feel on the road, normal mpg & noise and a better ride than 18" or 19" tyres. I also think they are the best looking whell but I may be biassed. The 18"ers that came with the car are presently in the shed gathering dust.

Thumbs Up Same here Derek.Im also getting a set of Contis fitted to the 19's that I bought off you.That one that was worn is looking pretty bad at this stage Embarassed

I've tried to get the UHP's that Ron & Barry swear by but cant source them here at all Sad But nevertheless the Contis on my 17's served me well !

Post #21410611th Oct 2007 9:51 am
John C

Thanks very much for that. Nicely surprised by that - they looked a lot smoother on photos on the web - and they look chunkier than I thought (especially on the shoulder).

Thanks again.

Post #21411111th Oct 2007 9:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >