Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

D5- my wish list of D4 shortfalls to be addressed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

The Chelsea myth.

Houses in Chelsea cost about 5m & up. Chelsea housewifes wouldn't be seen dead in anything other than FFRR.

The so called "Chelsea housewifes" have to make do with cheaper versions, therefore the D5 will not be affordable for a few years.

My opinion.
 Peter  
Post #176708122nd Jan 2017 10:27 am
petersw

Quote:
I think the chances of LR investing more money in it's off road ability are quite slim Whistle

Land Rover has
The D5 has a much more sophisticated Off roading setup.
 Peter  
Post #176709222nd Jan 2017 10:42 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Re: D5- my wish list of D4 shortfalls to be addressed

lespes wrote:

Sorry to target just one item in your list....
But....
What possible use are these chairs providing ?
For the rare time they will or may be used....they will just take up the already compromised space.....

The rest of the list are to me just wishes.....not actual needs for me
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #176710922nd Jan 2017 11:11 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Dusty wrote:
I see a few people are wishing for more functionality in the 'Off Road' department,

I think you will find it has Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #176711922nd Jan 2017 11:29 am
petersw

Quote:

Yes I agree
Some things here ...

D5 Landrover capability
New Discovery retains renowned Land Rover all-terrain capability thanks to its combination of excellent off-road geometry and advanced technology, while improving its everyday usability.

Ground clearance is rated at 283mm (up 43mm) while a maximum wading depth of 900mm (an increase of 200mm) puts Discovery in a class of its own, providing unrivalled confidence when tackling both waterlogged tracks and flooded roads.

New Discovery’s suspension is designed to optimise on-road dynamics, yet its outstanding geometry and wheel articulation of 500mm, aided by advanced air suspension, gives customers even greater confidence and capability when negotiating arduous and undulating surfaces.

A wading depth of 900mm ranks New Discovery at the top of the class against the competition, ensuring the newest addition to Discovery family is able to conquer even tougher terrain than its predecessor.

For the ultimate all-terrain capability New Discovery features a two-speed transfer box as standard, providing selectable high and low range gears for optimum on-road and off-road performance. The intelligent system provides a standard 50/50 torque split between front and rear wheels, but uses a range of sensors to distribute torque between the wheels depending on the conditions.

The two-speed fully synchronised ‘shift on the move’ system allows the driver to swap between high and low ratios without having to stop the vehicle, at speeds of up to 60km/h (37mph).

Following its introduction on Range Rover Evoque, New Discovery is fitted with Land Rover’s innovative All-Terrain Progress Control technology (ATPC).

The unique system allows the driver to set a crawl speed ranging from 2km/h up to 30km/h (19mph) allowing them to concentrate on steering the vehicle and negotiating difficult terrain while the technology controls engine and braking functions.

With the system in operation the driver can use the cruise control functions to adjust the speed while an icon in the instrument cluster shows the existing setting and mode.

ATPC is fitted with a unique Low Traction Launch feature, designed to help to pull away smoothly and easily when accelerating on low-friction surfaces such as wet grass or ice.

Terrain Response 2 Auto

New Discovery is fitted with Land Rover’s next-generation Terrain Response 2 technology, which automatically monitors the driving conditions to ensure the vehicle is primed to cope with a range of surfaces; General driving; Grass, Gravel and Snow; Mud and Ruts; Sand; and Rock Crawl.

The intuitive system optimises a range of vehicle settings to suit the conditions, from the throttle mapping and steering responses to the suspension set-up and traction control settings. Alternatively, the centre-mounted dial allows the driver to manually select the appropriate setting simply and efficiently.

Land Rover’s four-corner air suspension system not only improves ride quality when driving on-road but also provides greater capability when off-roading.

With its two-stage off-road mode the automatic system is able to vary between two ride heights of +40mm and +75mm. At speeds below 50km/h (31mph) the +75mm setting is available and for faster speeds on rutted dirt roads, between 50-80km/h (31-50mph), the vehicle will operate at +40mm. In addition, the new Speed Lowering function cuts drag and enhances fuel economy by automatically reducing the ride height by 13mm at cruising speeds above 105km/h (65mph).

Other functions include enhanced tuning to prevent the suspension from lowering in deep wading conditions, as well as preventing belly-out situations where the centre of the vehicle rests on the ground.

The comprehensive range of on- and off-road technologies also includes:

Hill Descent Control (HDC) maintains a set speed while tackling steep descents off-road.
Gradient Release Control (GRC) slowly releases the brake when moving from a standing start on an incline for greater control.
Electronic Traction Control (ETC) applies a braking force or reduces torque to individual wheels to stop wheelspin.
Roll Stability Control (RSC) detects the beginning of a rollover and applies the brakes to the outer wheels to bring the vehicle under control.
Wade Sensing provides real-time wading depth information in relation to the maximum wading depth using the 4x4i infotainment screen.
 Peter  
Post #176714622nd Jan 2017 12:01 pm
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Chelsea Mums like proper 7 seaters these days, they need plenty of room to carry the au-pairs and nannies!!

Obviously tongue in cheek and if the 'Techies' at Land Rover have earned their corn things should have moved on from the D4 in every department.

But I would imagine that less than 5% of owners will ever need to use what's on offer in the Terrain Response. My off road requirements are Scandinavian winters and some mild green lanes. There are lots of 4x4's out there that could cope with that, they just don't do the 'on road' stuff as well as a Discovery which is why most of us buy them Thumbs Up
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #176717022nd Jan 2017 1:02 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 
Re: D5- my wish list of D4 shortfalls to be addressed

lespes wrote:
So great car that the D4 is, it has a few niggles that I would like to see improved on the D5.

No particular order of relevance, except no1. Thumbs Up

1: To be able to drive through a puddle without an avalanche of water hitting the windscreen and obscuring your view. Yes could drive much slower but when the wifes Swift can cope with much deeper puddles at sensible speeds and still not throw all the water onto your screen, surley we can expect a true 4x4 to cope with handling such hazards.

Your wife's swift is able to stop the "avalanche of water hitting the windscreen and obscuring your view" because it has a very low front valance. All water that is driven upwards and forwards by the front wheels, which is able to escape the wheel arches, hits the inside of the front valance, it then falls to the ground again.

On a proper off roader, such as yours, there is a great deal of clearance under the front valance. This allows forward splashing water to pass underneath, it is then driven back by wind pressure and much of it is driven on to the bonnet and windscreen. To help out, Land Rover fit plastic spats under the front valance; these compromise ground clearance, but catch some of this water (my spats live in the garage, which is where they really should reside!).

A "true 4x4" should behave this way, fake ones and road cars are unlikely to.

Post #176723822nd Jan 2017 3:43 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

So if you don't get water on your screen from a big puddle, you haven't got a real 4X4 ?

Post #176724122nd Jan 2017 3:49 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

I don 't think I said that.

But, if you have decent clearance under the front valance and you drive through deep standing water at speed, then it's highly likely to drive water up on to the bonnet and screen.

I've taken the silly spats off and the water doesn't bother me; it's just a case of understanding the inevitable compromises of driving something like this and driving around/within those issues. Or buying something more road oriented.

Post #176725222nd Jan 2017 4:04 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

However...

petersw wrote:
Quote:

Yes I agree
Some things here ...

D5 Landrover capability
New Discovery retains renowned Land Rover all-terrain capability thanks to its combination of excellent off-road geometry and advanced technology, while improving its everyday usability.

Ground clearance is rated at 283mm (up 43mm) while a maximum wading depth of 900mm (an increase of 200mm) puts Discovery in a class of its own, providing unrivalled confidence when tackling both waterlogged tracks and flooded roads.

New Discovery’s suspension is designed to optimise on-road dynamics, yet its outstanding geometry and wheel articulation of 500mm, aided by advanced air suspension, gives customers even greater confidence and capability when negotiating arduous and undulating surfaces.

A wading depth of 900mm ranks New Discovery at the top of the class against the competition, ensuring the newest addition to Discovery family is able to conquer even tougher terrain than its predecessor.

For the ultimate all-terrain capability New Discovery features a two-speed transfer box as standard, providing selectable high and low range gears for optimum on-road and off-road performance. The intelligent system provides a standard 50/50 torque split between front and rear wheels, but uses a range of sensors to distribute torque between the wheels depending on the conditions.

The two-speed fully synchronised ‘shift on the move’ system allows the driver to swap between high and low ratios without having to stop the vehicle, at speeds of up to 60km/h (37mph).

Following its introduction on Range Rover Evoque, New Discovery is fitted with Land Rover’s innovative All-Terrain Progress Control technology (ATPC).

The unique system allows the driver to set a crawl speed ranging from 2km/h up to 30km/h (19mph) allowing them to concentrate on steering the vehicle and negotiating difficult terrain while the technology controls engine and braking functions.

With the system in operation the driver can use the cruise control functions to adjust the speed while an icon in the instrument cluster shows the existing setting and mode.

ATPC is fitted with a unique Low Traction Launch feature, designed to help to pull away smoothly and easily when accelerating on low-friction surfaces such as wet grass or ice.

Terrain Response 2 Auto

New Discovery is fitted with Land Rover’s next-generation Terrain Response 2 technology, which automatically monitors the driving conditions to ensure the vehicle is primed to cope with a range of surfaces; General driving; Grass, Gravel and Snow; Mud and Ruts; Sand; and Rock Crawl.

The intuitive system optimises a range of vehicle settings to suit the conditions, from the throttle mapping and steering responses to the suspension set-up and traction control settings. Alternatively, the centre-mounted dial allows the driver to manually select the appropriate setting simply and efficiently.

Land Rover’s four-corner air suspension system not only improves ride quality when driving on-road but also provides greater capability when off-roading.

With its two-stage off-road mode the automatic system is able to vary between two ride heights of +40mm and +75mm. At speeds below 50km/h (31mph) the +75mm setting is available and for faster speeds on rutted dirt roads, between 50-80km/h (31-50mph), the vehicle will operate at +40mm. In addition, the new Speed Lowering function cuts drag and enhances fuel economy by automatically reducing the ride height by 13mm at cruising speeds above 105km/h (65mph).

Other functions include enhanced tuning to prevent the suspension from lowering in deep wading conditions, as well as preventing belly-out situations where the centre of the vehicle rests on the ground.

The comprehensive range of on- and off-road technologies also includes:

Hill Descent Control (HDC) maintains a set speed while tackling steep descents off-road.
Gradient Release Control (GRC) slowly releases the brake when moving from a standing start on an incline for greater control.
Electronic Traction Control (ETC) applies a braking force or reduces torque to individual wheels to stop wheelspin.
Roll Stability Control (RSC) detects the beginning of a rollover and applies the brakes to the outer wheels to bring the vehicle under control.
Wade Sensing provides real-time wading depth information in relation to the maximum wading depth using the 4x4i infotainment screen.

However.....its still & always will be compromised as regards the actual an SUV
......its a look alike people carrier that falls far short of its predecessors....
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #176727522nd Jan 2017 4:39 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Not according to LR.

Post #176727922nd Jan 2017 4:46 pm
jimbg

United Kingdom 
Re: However...

BLFarrar wrote:

......its a look alike people carrier that falls far short of its predecessors....

What do you think the U represents that is lacking?

It does not look like any people carrier to me.

Post #176728822nd Jan 2017 5:03 pm
BLFarrar

But...

They are going say that aren't they...
Sadly the model name has been used to sell a vehicle that (to me) isn't in the same league..
I stress this is supposed to be an S[b]U/b]V......A utility vehicle for utility uses, cargo carrying as well as people carrying, not a fashion statement or a marketing styling excercise.
I realise that other LR's are & the D3/4 wasn't originally.
SUV are all about the vehicle use functionality......Utility uses.....if that doesn't matter or isn't important to "placed the order before it was seen" or "just want to have one".....they could have bought any make including SsanYong.
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #176728922nd Jan 2017 5:04 pm
BLFarrar

Re: However...

jimbg wrote:
BLFarrar wrote:

What do you think the U represents that is lacking?

It does not look like any people carrier to me.

Cubic capacity & access to that via a tailgate that allows access.....+ a split tailgate...(lets wait & see if this abandoned on the eventual FFRR replacement (five or six years off)
Doesn't look like a people carrier ? Every bit of publicity material pushes the seven seat aspect = people carrier......it's a twin of a Ford Smax....yukk
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #176729322nd Jan 2017 5:08 pm
petersw

A lot of this post typifies why the Steam Engine wasn't invented....... hang on !
 Peter  
Post #176730122nd Jan 2017 5:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >